The Return of the Prodigal Son

Barry had his time with us personally I would rather push on with Ness and Hutton two lads with a bright future, I wont say anything bad against Fergie, and I wish him well whatever road he takes.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barry has done extremely well playing in a far higher stage than the SPL since he went back to playing in his natural holding midfield role with Birmingham.He was a stand out playing that position with Advocatt and with Blackburn but I guess it would have been too much to play there in a Rangers team, alongside other natural defensive midfielders in Mendes,Thomson and the shoehorned McCulloch, in his last season here.

The same argument could be applied to Mendes whose overall performances were well short of his known ability and probably Edu who I do not see as a holding or defensive midfield player.

I am not a believer in bringing back former players towards the end of their careers; we have to look forward rather than try to rekindle former glories.

how can you say smith worked under harder constraints :lol:

mcleish's one big money buy was bringing ferguson back, and that only happened because we sold boumsong for an 8mill profit

everything else was bargain basement, look at the team that got to the last 16 of the champions league ffs

smith has done well under the financial constraints, but he had at least one season of splashing the cash this time, eck never had that at all

This.

Our line-up in the 1-1 draw with Inter:

Waterrus, Ricksen, Andrews, Kyriagkos, Murray, Burke, Ferguson, Malcolm, Namouchi, Buffel, Lovenkrands

Not exactly our best side.

Barry has done extremely well playing in a far higher stage than the SPL since he went back to playing in his natural holding midfield role with Birmingham.He was a stand out playing that position with Advocatt and with Blackburn but I guess it would have been too much to play there in a Rangers team, alongside other natural defensive midfielders in Mendes,Thomson and the shoehorned McCulloch, in his last season here.

The same argument could be applied to Mendes whose overall performances were well short of his known ability and probably Edu who I do not see as a holding or defensive midfield player.

I am not a believer in bringing back former players towards the end of their careers; we have to look forward rather than try to rekindle former glories.

Very well put. (tu)

But there were times this season when watching players such as Edu and McCulloch failing in the most basic of footballing skills, ie. controlling and passing the ball, I longed for someone of Barry's skill and composure in the heart of our midfield.

Anyway, I think both the player himself and Rangers realise that ship has sailed for the last time. He won't be back but I wish him nothing but the very best - he will always be one of us.

No, I think barrys playing well down south because of the reduced pressure of playing for a team like brum, less spotlight, not the Glasgow fish bowl etc etc

Plus he's too far on the wrong side of 30 now. As much as I like Barry, I don't think it would work for him up here this time.

Sebb Larson however is on a bosman in the summer iirc, now he'd be a gd shout if we could afford his wages

Apparently he is going back to Aresnal so I've heard Larrson that is!

Very well put. (tu) But there were times this season when watching players such as Edu and McCulloch failing in the most basic of footballing skills, ie. controlling and passing the ball, I longed for someone of Barry's skill and composure in the heart of our midfield.Anyway, I think both the player himself and Rangers realise that ship has sailed for the last time. He won't be back but I wish him nothing but the very best - he will always be one of us.

Couldn't have put it better myself (tu).

At his age, Ferguson can struggle alot more in a two man midfield. He's very effective in a 3 man central midfield/5 man midfield.

I wouldn't take him back, personally. As much as I respect and loved Barry Ferguson.

No chance. We have not missed him (2 SPL titles, 2 CIS cups and a decent run in Europe proves that)

Apart from the 2007/08 season he was woeful in his second spell and the 2008/09 season he was brutal and as soon as he got suspended we started playing good football and it was the main reason we went on to win the league. As a captain he is everything I don't want. The constant moaning never helped the likes of Edu and Whittaker when they were going through difficult spells. David Weir is a real captain IMO.

And for me he has not been that good for Birmingham. Players like Bowyer, Gardner, Larsson, Carr, Dann, Johnson have all been better than him. Anytime I have seen him he has just played the ball sideways and backwards.

I hope he is never back at Rangers because we don't need him. What is the point in bringing back a 33 year old midfielder who does not pass the ball forward when we should be looking to groom Hutton and Ness? As captain Barry Ferguson lifted the same amount of titles as Fernando Ricksen.

And for me he has not been that good for Birmingham. Players like Bowyer, Gardner, Larsson, Carr, Dann, Johnson have all been better than him. Anytime I have seen him he has just played the ball sideways and backwards.

We're obviously watching different players then as I think he's been absolutely outstanding for Birmingham - a view shared by most of their fans.