Set to miss out on Mpenza and Wasilewski.

trueblue1872

what i dont understand from that article is it says "leaving Walter Smith frustrated in his bid to find a credible striking alternative to Kris Boyd". I was under the impression we were looking for a partner, heck if we want a boyd replacement, we'd may aswell give up now, the team has to be built a round boyd and i dont think we will lose out from not getting mpenza.

Guest therabbitt

We arent competing with the Belgian league, down to the player being happy where he is, im happy for him, player loyalty is too rare these days. We need players like that who dont follow the mighty pound....

In the Evening Times it says Rangers have contacted his agent and Mpenza would be happy with a move up North, but he will be giving Man City first refusal as they gave him a chance to play.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/displa...1323492.0.0.php

Rangers must get in line to lure Mpenza

Emile Mpenza has been a hit since joining Manchester City

by Thomas Jordan

RANGERS will have to get in the queue if they want to sign Belgian striker Emile Mpenza.

Ibrox manager Walter Smith is looking at replacements for Dado Prso next season.

As revealed earlier this week by SportTimes, Gers No 2 Ally McCoist, along with Ian Durrant, watched Mpenza in action on Monday for Manchester City.

The pacey frontman, who joined the Blues earlier this year as a free agent on a short-term deal which will expire in the summer, impressed in the 3-1 defeat of Fulham.

His agent says he has been contacted by Rangers, and the player would be delighted to come north, but he added that City will have first option on Mpenza.

The 28-year-old could have been a Rangers player in 2000. Dick Advocaat had a £6.5m bid rejected by Mpenza's then employers, Schalke 04.

Mpenza has scored twice in four games for City after quitting Al-Rayyan in Saudi Arabia in February. He is believed to have earned in the region of £5m in the middle east, so money may not be the deciding factor in any move, although the lure of Champions League football at Ibrox will be strong.

Richid Tajmout, the player's representative, said: "I received a phone call from an agent working on behalf of Rangers. This was the first we had heard of Rangers' interest.

"Rangers are a big club and it is something Emile would consider, but we have made everybody clear we want to give Manchester City first option.

"Even if a club were to offer him more money Emile would prefer to give Manchester City the chance to offer him something.

"Emile had a very difficult time before he moved to England and he feels he owes Manchester City for helping him out of the situation he was in."

Mpenza is just one of a number of strikers Smith is considering. The former Scotland manager has made no secret of the fact he is looking to find a partner for the country's leading goalscorer, Kris Boyd.

Rangers have also been linked with interest in David Healy, the Leeds United striker in free-scoring form for Northern Ireland, Danny Koevermans, of AZ Alkmaar, and Bosko Balaban of Bruges plus Grzegorz Rasiak of Southampton.

There has been talk of Dado Prso going to the States, but he could find it tough there, according to Mo Johnston.

The striker has been linked with Johnston's MLS side Toronto, but the former ex-Old Firm man said: "Nobody would like to say outright that Prso's career is completely finished, but with his knee trouble, and the signs I see, I wouldn't be interested in signing him for Toronto.

"I'd be very surprised if he came to America, in fact."