*** Wimbledon 2011 Thread ***

Jordo

First off all Sampras competed in an era with more than just Agassi. Don't forget the likes of Edberg, Becker, Lendl, Courier and McEnroe(4 years)

Obviously it's hard to compare players from different eras in all sports and so many factors need to be considered. But I do believe those named are much more top players than the likes of Murray, Soderling, Ferrer etc.

Bit in bold is something I disagree with, as I said to you in another thread Sampras was much more than a power player. In the last 5-10 years I would say tennis is much more based on the physical aspect and having big power shots/serve. Roger's serving and power is very underrated and is a key factor in his success.

Are you implying Federer ended Pete Sampras reign? Sampras won the US open then basically stopped playing and eventually retired in 2003. Federer had not even won a grand slam by then.

I am aware Sampras played great players, although most of those you mentioned (Edberg, Becker, Lendl, McEnroe) were coming to the end of their careers when Sampras became the dominant force.

Of course Sampras wasn't just a power player in the Karlovic sense, like Nadal he was a fantastic player with the ability to play terrific winners from anywhere, but also like Nadal his preferred method was ultimately percentage play and dominate with the serve. You have a point that today a power baseline game is quite prevalent but this would seem to me to be an instance where Federer has been the exception rather than the rule, thankfully. In the face of players content to play baseline rallies until their opponent shanks it or hits the net, Federer dominated with sheer brilliance.

And I said he "signalled" the end of Sampras' career. Which he did. A 20 year-old kid who ended an unstoppable run at Wimbledon where Sampras had lost one match in 8 years. I didn't say Federer suddenly appeared and won everything, we all know he took longer than expected to breakthrough properly, but Wimbledon 2001 was a giant-killing. The 2002 US Open was a last hurrah for Sampras after he had the stuffing kicked well and truly out of him.

Order of play for tomorrow:

Centre Court: Venus v Date-Krumm, Nadal v Sweeting, Roddick v Hansescu;

Court One: Berdych v Benneteau, Murray v Kamke, Kvitova v Keothavong.

Weather forecast.... dodgy.

Put Nadal on Court 1 then, or even better, the woman's match.

Nadal is the defending champion and world number one. Venus Williams is a five-time champion. Murray is the obvious bump, even if he is the home favourite.

Actually I don't know why I let you off with the Roddick reason. The guy is turd now, and has no chance of winning.

Whereas Murray is right in there with a chance, and believe it or not, is higher ranked and is British.

Wouldn't say Roddick had no chance when he took Federer to 5 sets in the 2009 final.

And Murray's chances aren't that much better.

Wouldn't say Roddick had no chance when he took Federer to 5 sets in the 2009 final.

And Murray's chances aren't that much better.

Andy Murray's chances are far better, hence the demolition in Queens.

He isn't the same player he was then.

Actually I don't know why I let you off with the Roddick reason. The guy is turd now, and has no chance of winning.

Whereas Murray is right in there with a chance, and believe it or not, is higher ranked and is British.

If Murray is in with a chance he'll be back on centre court soon enough then. And Andy Roddick, three time finalist and something of a crowd favourite in his own right will have his little moment on the big stage again and that will be nice for everyone.

I couldn't really give a fuck what Nadal has done, Murray is the British No.1 who more people would want to see, get him on Centre Court where he belongs.

Speak for yourself. I'm no big Nadal fan, as I've mentioned here already, but I'd rather see the world's best current player over Murray any day.

Yet they could easily hinder Murrays chances by having his match delayed by the rain and then have him potentially play back to back games...talk about helping your countries best hope of winning Wimbledon :disappointment:

That's the only downfall to this. If the Centre Court matches finish quick then I'm sure they could put Murray on Centre under the roof.