*** Wimbledon 2011 Thread ***

Jordo

Becker did not retire until 1999 so Sampras was competing with him for 11 years. Edberg 8, Lendl 6 and McEnroe 4.

The later two were about 28-29 when Sampras came onto the scene so you are correct they were coming to the end of their careers, but back in 90s you did not need to be massively athletic to compete at a later age. As shown by Lendl winning the US open at 30 years of age.

Sampras started to decline in 1998 but one the biggest defeats was in US Open final 2000 against Safin who was 20 years of age. Dominated by a stronger, fitter player, same again in 2001 against a 19 year old Hewitt losing second and third sets 6-1.

Both those players dominated Sampras unlike Federer at Wimbeldon winning a five setter that could have went either way. Obviously it was a massive shock to everyone but I don't by into your point that this signalled the end or was the key factor. You did mention this..

It's not only a case of beating the man, it's ending an entire era and starting a new one.

Obviously it ended a Wimbeldon run and era for Sampras but all runs come to an end at some point. But I honestly don't think that was the main reason for Sampras calling it a day. Loads of other factors played a part.

That does not sum up the events pre/prior to Federer match or how Sampras ended his carer on his own accord.Feel you are giving too much praise to Federer here and I'm not entirely sure if it's because you hold him in such high regard.

I'll concede you're right rather than beat a dead horse :) You probably know more about Sampras than I do.