Peter Schmeichel

Amac9

Can Peter Schmeichel really be deemed a Man Utd legend?

Played with Utd for 8 years, gained God like status, went down as their greatest ever goalkeeper, won 15 honours with the club and captained them to the CL in 1999. But... He ended up playing for Man City.

I have had an argument with my mate who has been an avid Utd supporter for over 25 years and he describes Vladimir Weiss as 'Man City scum!' Surely Peter Schmeichel is 'Man City' scum too then?

Could you imagine Andy Goram playing for celtc? That would probably wipe out everything he ever done at Rangers. If I was a Man Utd fan I would be sickened at Peter Schmeichel pulling on a Manchester City shirt.

Liverpool are probably their biggest rivals. Denis Law is considered a Man Utd legend and he relegated Man Utd whilst playing for City.

Technically he didn't relegate Man Utd. They would have went down anyway.

Denis Law is another one though. Played for City twice actually.

Technically he didn't relegate Man Utd. They would have went down anyway.

Denis Law is another one though. Played for City twice actually.

True.

But he still scored against them when they were fighting relegation. If Schmeichel isn't considered a legend for appearing for City in the twilight of his career then Law should be hated.

I don't think it equates to Goram playing for Celtic. Maybe Aberdeen.

I bet you your mate only calls Weiss 'City scum' due to City's resurgance up the league and their cash flow. He wouldn't be saying that if he played for them when Schmeichel played for City.

10-20 years ago the Manchester derby meant nothing to United fans, as they had bigger fish to fry.

The Manchester rivalry was a one way street when Schmeichel played for Man City. Man City fans passionately hated United fans, United fans just laughed along and made a couple of banners up.

It's only since City have come into a bit of money and have begun to look like a legitimate threat to United that their fans have started to take part in the rivalry.

The question is probably better asked for a Man United forum, but I can see why they don't hate him, they only started caring about City when they suddenly hit the jackpot and became a force to be reckoned with.

A few will probably not feel the same about him but I still don't understand why he even left United in the first place even after all these years :lol:

If we were talking about Liverpool, then we'd have a point.

Until the last 1-2 seasons, the rivalry between the clubs has not been particularly bitter considering they are same city teams. I expect it to grow hugely in the next few seasons...