Fans Statement Released

The following is a fans statement just released to all media and on all forums

13 July 2011

PRESS RELEASE

(Issued on behalf of a working group of Rangers supporters clubs and fans organisations)

RANGERS FANS GROUPS URGE SUPPORTERS TO CELEBRATE NEW ERA

Rangers fans groups today united to urge supporters to celebrate a new era for the club as the new season approaches.

With Rangers fans attending pre-season friendlies in Belfast on Saturday and Blackpool on Tuesday, fans groups issued a joint statement calling on supporters to continue the party atmosphere they created in the final matches of last season, as the team closed in on its 54th league title.

The statement was issued by a working group of Rangers supporters clubs and fans organisations representing the vast majority of Rangers fans and was fully endorsed by Rangers owner, Craig Whyte

The statement said: “The support from our fans during the final games of the season was said by many to be magnificent and created a fantastic atmosphere that was the envy of other clubs. Everyone connected to the Club from the team to the fans were responsible and we want to continue this throughout the coming season.

“Last season there were too many headlines about matters that have nothing to do with football and no-one wants to see a repeat of that.

“We, the Rangers supporters, are continuing to play our part. We are actively tackling fan behaviour issues, engaging with all our fans’ groups and the authorities and we are determined to eradicate all forms of sectarian, political and highly offensive singing at all football grounds throughout Scotland.

“These are matters that affect many clubs and we take issue with those who wish to lay every problem at Rangers door. We are encouraged by the actions of the new Chairman, Mr Whyte, in terms of his appointments such as Gordon Smith and in challenging the media and the football authorities to treat us fairly. When it comes to dealing with offensive behaviour we are looking for a level playing field.

“There is a very positive feeling around the Club as we start a fresh era. Following our call to eliminate the small number of songs and phrases that saw us in trouble with UEFA, we are delighted with the way the support created a party atmosphere during the final few games of last season.

“Most of our supporters know the score now in terms of singing, chanting and add-ons to songs and we are clear in our minds – no Billy Boys, no FTP or references to Fenians.

“We have the opportunity to continue the party through the pre-season campaign with visits to Belfast and Blackpool, places that have embraced us positively over the years. We are sure that all Rangers supporters will bring humour, colour and atmosphere to these matches and adhere to the standard of behaviour that will make us all proud.”

Craig Whyte, the Rangers owner, endorsed the fans’ statement saying: “It is a new era for Rangers and one in which we want to see even more success coming to the Club.

“I congratulate the fans for taking the initiative as we prepare to start the new season and fully support their statement. We are all united in our desire to see the Club do well.”

ENDS

For further information, please contact the following people representing the working group:

Hear hear!

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

do you admit to the songs being secterian???? cause i didnt and dnt know many rangers fans who think they are.

the previous owner and board couldnt be arsed fighting the cause, slates clean lets fight it now. its never too late laws can be overturned or ammended if proven to be wrong.

make these cunts work harder to call us secterian.

I am doubtful that you could even spell sectarian.

Fact is we have to consider the good of Rangers and perhaps put the good of Rangers first before our 'rights' to sing such songs that are now deemed illegal. What is more important, the welfare of Rangers or your 'right' to sing songs which will get the club into trouble. For me, the welfare of Rangers comes first and I can manage to go a couple of hours inside a stadium without singing those songs, indeed there are many other songs which are acceptable which can be sung and a good atmosphere can be created, look at the last few games of last season if you need examples. As TB said earlier if you want to sing FTP, BB etc then sing it in your own homes, pubs, supporters buses etc to your hearts content, but please not in the stadium.

So once again....

Which "political" songs shouldn't we be singing?

what you should really be doing is contacting the group ,who dont speak for you, and offer them some advice and ideas on how to take the club/fans forward as im sure all fans with ideas/input would be made welcome

When do the celtic fans' supporters group release their statement of intent?

Surely they'll be asking their fans not to sing songs that only a traitor to the Crown would sing?

Or maybe even asking them tae refrain from singing pro-terrorist songs?

Na............................didnae think so.

I'm sure many will look back in the not too distant future, and realise we shot ourselves in the foot by admitting that we've been wrong all this time in our choice of songs. Whilst the celtic fans just keep singing along, and NEVER admit that their repertoire is illegal.

must agree with booler here..

but also add

we remain the only un-offendable set of fans in scotland now and by agreeing to not sing songs (which has to happen in the short term) we need a more aggresive aproach to what others do that offends. waiting till we're "in order" will be to late and relying on SFA/ police to make this move will never happen.

proddy, h** and orange bastards are all sung by this mob and worse by aberdeen probably, but now since we have uefa action against us it makes us the easiest target.

We should be CHANGING these songs, not banning them totaly. and also highlighting songs by others that could be deemed offensive (politcal or religious)

So once again....

Which "political" songs shouldn't we be singing?

Any song that paddy offended deems shouldn't be sung, we are strangers in our land, subject to the whims of an immigrant populace and their craven religious leaders, how much longer will the other cheek be turned.

Hate threads like these always the same old shite.

I'll sing what I want.

I wont bow down to the Fenians.

Even if the club I'm supposed to love get fucked for it.

If you a true supporter you'll stop if you a selfish self centred stuck in the mud cunt you won't.

Look at the shite we went through last season do not give them the ammo box clever and turn the focus to them.

Make your case speak to the supporters club find out what can be done just don't be the knob at Ibrox.

We would all LOVE to hear TBB loud and proud but its BANNED case fucking closed.

Its too late to question this its Murray's/old boards fault with their dignified silence.

If we had Whyte at the helm things may have turned out very different.

Play the game box clever and eventually the focus will turn to them and everyone's else.

What has happend is utter bollocks but unless someone has some masterplan there is nothing we can do sadly.

Whyte has stated we will no longer be walked all over and be deemed the big bad sectarian bigots so get behind him and do whats right not for you for The Rangers.

WATP

Hate threads like these always the same old shite.

I'll sing what I want.

I wont bow down to the Fenians.

Even if the club I'm supposed to love get fucked for it.

If you a true supporter you'll stop if you a selfish self centred stuck in the mud cunt you won't.

Look at the shite we went through last season do not give them the ammo box clever and turn the focus to them.

Make your case speak to the supporters club find out what can be done just don't be the knob at Ibrox.

We would all LOVE to hear TBB loud and proud but its BANNED case fucking closed.

Its too late to question this its Murray's/old boards fault with their dignified silence.

If we had Whyte at the helm things may have turned out very different.

Play the game box clever and eventually the focus will turn to them and everyone's else.

What has happend is utter bollocks but unless someone has some masterplan there is nothing we can do sadly.

Whyte has stated we will no longer be walked all over and be deemed the big bad sectarian bigots so get behind him and do whats right not for you for The Rangers.

WATP

TBH i'm not sure it will turn to other the other teams. And i think it's wrong thats we are being told to sit tight and hope it does.

I have a feeling that before the end of the season it will be the Sash,Build my gallows,GSTQ and the union jack that will come under the spotlight and the people that released this statement have forseen this and that is why they included the bit about politcal/offensive singing.

They speak for themselves. Its THEM first and Rangers second. Ive told them before the solution. Go into a police office and sing the songs as loud as you can, then prove to all of us they can get the case thrown out of court.

I bet you they wont though.

if you know(or anyone on here knows) a good protestant lawyer, i will walk into the police station on monday(not doing a weekender) and sing these so called offensive songs. then i will fight them to the highest courts possible.

i am not kidding about, i am prepared to do it. i will name the police station and time. so people can come and witness it.

TBH i'm not sure it will turn to other the other teams. And i think it's wrong thats we are being told to sit tight and hope it does.

I have a feeling that before the end of the season it will be the Sash,Build my gallows,GSTQ and the union jack that will come under the spotlight and the people that released this statement have forseen this and that is why they included the bit about politcal/offensive singing.

It is a worry I agree but Whyte has said all the right things and I really don't see why he won't fight against any future backlash.

We need to show some faith in Whyte and if he doesn't step up we need to be be united as a fanbase and challenge this through the supporters clubs and take our views straight to the board.

I believe Whyte will back us.

GSTQ and our national flag will ever leave Ibrox imo.

Fact is we have to consider the good of Rangers and perhaps put the good of Rangers first before our 'rights' to sing such songs that are now deemed illegal. What is more important, the welfare of Rangers or your 'right' to sing songs which will get the club into trouble. For me, the welfare of Rangers comes first and I can manage to go a couple of hours inside a stadium without singing those songs, indeed there are many other songs which are acceptable which can be sung and a good atmosphere can be created, look at the last few games of last season if you need examples. As TB said earlier if you want to sing FTP, BB etc then sing it in your own homes, pubs, supporters buses etc to your hearts content, but please not in the stadium.

It's no that simple.

Ma Maw disnae fuckin let me sing sectarian songs in the hoose!!!!! :anguish:

if you know(or anyone on here knows) a good protestant lawyer, i will walk into the police station on monday(not doing a weekender) and sing these so called offensive songs. then i will fight them to the highest courts possible.

i am not kidding about, i am prepared to do it. i will name the police station and time. so people can come and witness it.

Donald Findlay QC.

What station and what time ?

It is a worry I agree but Whyte has said all the right things and I really don't see why he won't fight against any future backlash.

We need to show some faith in Whyte and if he doesn't step up we need to be be united as a fanbase and challenge this through the supporters clubs and take our views straight to the board.

I believe Whyte will back us.

GSTQ and our national flag will ever leave Ibrox imo.

The biggest problem with Craig Whyte fighting it and i include David Murray in this, it could be career suicide if the fight was lost as he would be remembered worldwide as the man who attempted defend our sectarian/offensive/political songsheet and therefore outed as a bigot/badman himself.

The biggest problem with Craig Whyte fighting it and i include David Murray in this, it could be career suicide if the fight was lost as he would be remembered worldwide as the man who attempted defend our sectarian/offensive/political songsheet and therefore outed as a bigot/badman himself.

If this was the case with Whyte why hire a former former News International editor in Jack Irvine and a former SFA chief executive Gordon Smith?

We have the people for the fight we need to show faith.

Rangers fans policing Rangers fans is the best way to eradicate the idiots who are causing the image of the club so much harm.

When are these pricks gonna wise up and stop.

I still cannot believe our club is going to play a game in Blackpool during the Glasgow fair holidays hope i am wrong but it could be mayhem

If this was the case with Whyte why hire a former former News International editor in Jack Irvine and a former SFA chief executive Gordon Smith?

We have the people for the fight we need to show faith.

My faith is waning. In this generation we have already lost a few great songs that our fathers sang to the pc brigade.

I can only hope the next generation will be able to sing even half the songs that we sing just now.

PS maybe we should bring back BJK

Gers fans ban ?Fenian? chants

RANGERS fans' leaders have banned the word 'Fenians' from match chants - and called for 'Billy Boys' and 'FTP' to be ditched too, it emerged last night.

The club's supporters' groups united to reveal the move while pledging to "eradicate all forms of sectarian, political and highly-offensive singing" at football grounds .

A spokesman said: "Most of our fans know the score in terms of singing, chanting and add-ons to songs.

"We are clear in our minds - no Billy Boys, no FTP (F*** the Pope) or references to Fenians." The move comes after police blasted Gers yobs following a friendly against Stirling Albion on Tuesday .

Just months ago UEFA fined the club £35,000 and banned followers from the next Champions League away game for sectarian singing at PSV Eindhoven.

A statement - backed by Rangers Supporters Association, Supporters Trust and Supporters Assembly - admitted last season brought "too many headlines".

It added: "No one wants to see a repeat." Ibrox supremo Craig Whyte said: "It is a new era." Rivals Celtic declined to comment.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/3696219/Rangers-fans-ban-Fenian-chants.html

Do the handwringers who came up with this pish really think the scum supporters association or the all Ireland association of scum supporters clubs are quaking in their boots knowing that they'll come under the spotlight . Are they F**k .

Will they demand we stop singing songs expressing our Protestant faith and tradition as the Protestant was formed in opposition to the corrupt catholic church . ( How things have changed ) .

Well as a citizen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northen Ireland I will sing songs against an organisation and its supporters who have tried to cleanse Ulster of all thing Protestant and who are literally trying to rewrite our history and I see nothing wrong with expressing opposition to a church that believes in segregating 5 year olds and who have covered up systematic child abuse and who have refused to hand over the culprits . Not to mention their head is a Nazi who served in the Hitler Youth .

So handwringers , hang your heads in shame each and and every one of you .

and before Salmond's Cyber Stormtroopers come on , Freedom Of Speech hasn't died you know . ;)