Defense Is Not The Problem

TMB

People keep going on about how we need more CBs. But I think we already have the best defense in the SPL and it's the midfield that is letting us down. We aren't able to dominate games, we surrender possession, we don't create enough and it needs to be fixed.

The perfect example, and I hate to bring them up, is Celtic. Last season their defense was very poor (Charlie Mulgrew at CB FFS) as was their bombscare keeper. But it didn't matter that their defense was shit because teams couldn't get at them. Their midfield protected the back line, they dictated play and controlled games therefore they conceded very few goals. A couple of times last season the Celtic midfield actually overrun us. We couldn't get at their defense to manage a fucking shot at goal which is ridiculous. This year they're working on a better defense and keeper so we need to up our game if we want to win this title.

At the end of last season we thought Papac might be leaving but turns out he's staying. Not only that but we've bought back up in the form of Lee Wallace. We thought Weir might retire but he hasn't. We thought Bougherra would leave but it now looks like he's staying. So we still have last seasons defense intact. I would agree that we need another CB in to act as cover for Bougherra and Weir (and a long term replacement for Weir) but I doubt we need much more than that to strengthen the defense. It's the strongest in the SPL.

What we do need to get in is some better midfield players ASAP. A quality left-winger would be the obvious starting point. Naismith on the RW with Davis in the middle is fine but we need a battling central defensive midfielder in there to pull it all together. An intelligent football player who can marshal the midfield, read the game, break up opposition play, start attacks and boss the midfield. If we have an anchorman in midfield it will allow the more creative players to get forward (Naismith, Davis, LW).

Also, Jelavic is very talented but we shouldn't isolated him or leave him up there alone. He needs supply and he needs a strike partner.

Statistically we dont have the best defence. Dont kid yourself, we badly need 2 centre halfs, one for first team and one as competition, depending what happens with Bougherra.

Midfield is a problem i agree, both out wide and in the middle. We lack creativity, skill, guile and class in there.

And up front, Jelavic deserves a class act to play next to him, he is too good to be wasted up there himself with zero creativity behind him.

Agreed mate, the defence need more cover from the midfield. I know people will disagree but I feel that Edu and Davis are a great midfield partnership. You only need to look at the number of goals conceded and scored in the title run in to realise that. They have a great balance between them, a new left winger is needed and also a solid tough tackling centre half.

I agree. McCulloch isn't good enough nor is Edu. He may have had some good games in the first part of last season, but he was utter pish in the rest. An experienced CM would be good, but we need 2 CBs and also a strike partner for Jelavic. At least 4 players are required if we want to keep our title this season.

People keep going on about how we need more CBs. But I think we already have the best defense in the SPL and it's the midfield that is letting us down. We aren't able to dominate games, we surrender possession, we don't create enough and it needs to be fixed.

The perfect example, and I hate to bring them up, is Celtic. Last season their defense was very poor (Charlie Mulgrew at CB FFS) as was their bombscare keeper. But it didn't matter that their defense was shit because teams couldn't get at them. Their midfield protected the back line, the dictated play and controlled games therefore they conceded very few goals. A couple of times last season the Celtic midfield actually overrun us. We couldn't get at their defense to manage a fucking shot at goal which is ridiculous. This year they working on a better defense and keeper so we need to up our game if we want to win this title.

At the end of last season we thought Papac might be leaving but turns out he's staying. Not only that but we've bought back up in the form of Lee Wallace. We thought Weir might retire but he hasn't. We thought Bougherra would leave but it now looks like he's staying. So we still have last seasons defense intact. I would agree that we need another CB in to act as cover for Bougherra and Weir (and a long term replacement for Weir) but I doubt we need much more than that to strengthen the defense. It's the strongest in the SPL.

What we do need to get in is some better midfield players ASAP. A quality left-winger would be the obvious starting point. Naismith on the RW with Davis in the middle is fine but we need a battling central defensive midfielder in there to pull it all together. An intelligent football player who can marshal the midfield, read the game, break up opposition play, start attacks and boss the midfield. If we have an anchorman in midfield it will allow the more creative players to get forward (Naismith, Davis, LW).

Also, Jelavic is very talented but we shouldn't isolated him or leave him up there alone. He needs supply and he needs a strike partner.

I don't disagree that our most serious problem is the lack of quality in central midfield where tbh the only player we have that I rate (and is regularly fit enough to play) is Davis. That is assuming that you don't count Naismith as a CM, of course.

BUT to suggest that we don't also have a problem in defence just isn't true. It wasn't the midfield that lost us the goal today, it was our defence giving a player the freedom of the box. We get away with a lot in defence because we have an outstanding goalkeeper. Whittaker is an awful defender and Weir will not be any faster this year meaning that we will be dropping deep all the time. We at least have competition for Papac now and I do rate Bougherra (usually). If he stays.

We really need to add one, or possibly 2 CBs as well as a CM, LM and another Striker.

Statistically we dont have the best defence. Dont kid yourself

You think Mulgrew is better than Weir? you think Majstorovic is better than Bougherra? You think M.Wilson is better than Whittaker? You think Fraser Forster is better than McGregor?

We obviously have the better defense. Problem is we don't protect it enough.

You think Mulgrew is better than Weir? you think Majstorovic is better than Bougherra? You think M.Wilson is better than Whittaker? You think Fraser Forster is better than McGregor?

Mulgrew will not be celtic's first choice centre back

I agree, our midfield is poor, especially with Edu and Jig in the middle.

Ally should be leaving these two out the team as there, well, shite, Wylde Ness Davis and Ortiz for the next game please.

But our defence is a bit shity at the moment, hope Bougherra pulls the finger out soon, Weir, well, think hes getting on a bit, Whittaker, hit and miss really, Broadfoot, to quote another member 'Roaster', describes him well

Think we need another Davis and King Carlos back.

If your happy with Broadfoot as our only back-up centre back then your having a laugh.

We need two centre backs, three if Bougherra leaves. Both the defence and midfield are poor, have been for sometime now.

Bougherra usually picks up injuries and is away on African Cup duty, David Weir is on his last legs and the only other option is Kirk Broadfoot. Now people might be happy with Whittaker, Papac or even McCulloch filling in there, but I am certainly not.

We need defenders, Ally McCoist is looking at defenders and we must get them in, along with a couple of midfielders and strikers.

The defence and midfield are our weak link.

It doesnt matter what i think, statistically we dont have the best defence, facts and figures prove that. Anyway, defending is not just about the defence, you have to defend from the front, Seltic defence may not be man for man as good as ours but their mdifield dominate games more than ours and play further up the park taking pressure off their defence, we do the opposite and invite pressure onto our defence which possibly contributes to us losing more goals.

Midfield is the area where goals are lost despite the actual goal being scored in the defensive 3rd.

I actually think we maybe agreeing here in a roundabout way. :)

mulgrew will be back up, and forster plays for Newcastle

If your happy with Broadfoot as our only back-up centre back then your having a laugh.

We need two centre backs, three if Bougherra leaves. Both the defence and midfield are poor, have been for sometime now.

Bougherra usually picks up injuries and is away on African Cup duty, David Weir is on his last legs and the only other option is Kirk Broadfoot. Now people might be happy with Whittaker, Papac or even McCulloch filling in there, but I am certainly not.

We need defenders, Ally McCoist is looking at defenders and we must get them in, along with a couple of midfielders and strikers.

The defence and midfield are our weak link.

Correct.

I'm sorry, but i think the only part of the team we're safe in is the goalkeeping area.

Defense - for my highest priority, weir is too old and slow, broadfoot is a fucking donkey, and boogie's head is not in the right place just now. We are fine in the fullback areas now broadfoot or whitty on the right, papac or wallace on the left. In my opinion we need 2 centerbacks.

Midfield - we have one creative attacking midfeilder - davis, we then have defensive midfielders as in jiggy and edu. I think we should be aiming for one central attacking midfielder.

Wings, wilde on the left, ortez on the right. I think we can get away with not signing a winger as we have flexability due to fullbacks and strikers able to fill in this position. I'd like to get a dedicated left winger in though, to push wilde - ortiz is not going to do it.

Strikers, id rather naismith was a striker along with jelavic. We have lafferty and at a push healy. I would perhaps want 1 more striker as frankly, lafferty and healy are not consistant. We lack a striker who can come on and turn things IMO.

So to sum up, in my humble opinion we need:

2 centerbacks

1 attacking midfielder

1 winger

1 striker

So to sum up, in my humble opinion we need:

2 centerbacks

1 attacking midfielder

1 winger

1 striker

And your not the only person, but watch out as you may be called a panic merchant. A lot of people, both on here and inside Ibrox share the same opinion on what we need, and I'm sure Ally McCoist feels the same way!

Didn't we learn last year that Jig and Edu simply cannot be on the pitch as the same time? Although Edu improved today vs his horrendous performances last year (I only caught myself saying 'FFS Edu!' twice today)., we need a proper player to complement Davis.

And that player is neither McCulloch nor Edu.

its one game, i sound like a broken record like, one game dont define what we are about or what we are capable of or what we are gonna keep producing week in week out

These problems have gone on for longer than one game. Last year the defence and midfield struggled.

I think the league title, 3 in a row has made people forget about that.

These problems have gone on for longer than one game. Last year the defence and midfield struggled.

I think the league title, 3 in a row has made people forget about that.

like me ? say what ya mean, no healthy to tip toe around issues, its allys first game, not an excuse to some but i aint impatient and im sure he will have some different ideas imo muff, and it really is just the first game, 3 in a row or not i aint gonna start to accuse or panic or even slightly worry at the moment, but some just cant help it, i know fans have concerns but after 1 game, really

Some people are concerned that these problem areas have not been addressed, and rightly so.

Of course there is time, but we need to act fast. Champions League qualifiers and three tough SPL away games on the bounce. We must get it right.

The squad is down to the bare bones.

i dont think we are down to bare bones, i have faith in the young ones and will be glad and gratefull to see them given the chance, not overly confident but i am happy with that, could be worse

i dont think we are down to bare bones, i have faith in the young ones and will be glad and gratefull to see them given the chance, not overly confident but i am happy with that, could be worse

Today's team/squad showed that we are down to the bare bones.

Broadfoot in defence, Healy, Hemmings and Bendiksen on the bench.

An injury to Davis, Naismith or Jelavic and we are struggling for quality.