Poor Steven Davis

Senna

He and Ortiz were the only midfielders to take the ball forward tonight.

Edu did once, but that;s because he didn't look up and ran into 3 white shirts.

Yes. That's because Ortiz and Davis are direct, forward thinking midfielders. Edu and Jig aren't. 2 attack and 2 defensive midfielders is how we appear to line up but Jig and Edu get abuse for, at times, just doing their jobs. They're designed to keep the ball or play the easy ball. Too many people expect both Edu and McCulloch to bomb on when in position. Edu seems to fall for the pressure of 50k at Ibrox though and tends to attempt the odd ball that isn't in his make up. Cue further complaints that he's just given the ball away when it sails out of play. It's up to Ally to punt Edu or McCulloch if we're behind and in need of a bit more forward thinking midfielders.

We need 1 centre midfielder who will look to get beyond the front two from time to time. Davis is your man but I'm not convinced Ally is keen to shift Davis into centre midfield and prefers having the security of two defensive midfielders.

Yes. That's because Ortiz and Davis are direct, forward thinking midfielders. Edu and Jig aren't. 2 attack and 2 defensive midfielders is how we appear to line up but Jig and Edu get abuse for, at times, just doing their jobs. They're designed to keep the ball or play the easy ball. Too many people expect both Edu and McCulloch to bomb on when in position. Edu seems to fall for the pressure of 50k at Ibrox though and tends to attempt the odd ball that isn't in his make up. Cue further complaints that he's just given the ball away when it sails out of play. It's up to Ally to punt Edu or McCulloch if we're behind and in need of a bit more forward thinking midfielders.

We need 1 centre midfielder who will look to get beyond the front two from time to time. Davis is your man but I'm not convinced Ally is keen to shift Davis into centre midfield and prefers having the security of two defensive midfielders.

Edu and McCulloch are defensive?

Barely see them intelligently close a man down, they were fucking NOWHERE to be seen in any of Malmo's counter attacks.

They don't back up the front men and they aren't prepared for an imminent counter attack - what do they ACTUALLY do?!

Playing two defensive midfielders in the SPL, as Rangers boss, should be enough to merit an official warning. There is no team in the league - and I include the mhopes - that necessitates us playing two DMs.

Smith didn't do it, why McCoist thinks it's necessary is beyond me.

More excuses for one of our top players. Running himself into the ground is all well and good but his job is to provide for those in front of him and that is what he should be doing. He needs to leave his midfield partners to look after themselves.

More excuses for one of our top players. Running himself into the ground is all well and good but his job is to provide for those in front of him and that is what he should be doing. He needs to leave his midfield partners to look after themselves.

He does that and we lose even heavier.

He won the ball back and closed down more players more times tonight than Emerson and Malcolm did in the two games this so far this season.

Davis worked his socks off tonight.

He's always looking for the ball (did anyone else notice the number of times he collected it from the 18 yard line?) and when he's on it, he's always being proactive and looking for something positive to do with it.

His corners are shite though.

Hopefully not too long.

Rumour (and only a rumour) has it that Edu will be gone by Sept 1st, Turkey as the likely destination.

JUST A RUMOUR THOUGH. (specially for all you 4th official haters, you can't take anything on spec.)

Dont care what any1 says davis is the best midfielder in the country right wing or not he is the most complete, he playd ryt wing wen we thumpd celtic at p/head and mendes scored a belter (which he crossd fron a corner) but this was due 2 him putting un a strong shift at ryt mid wen we had 2 gd centre midfielders lyk mendes & thompson. Against hearts i watchd davis make the final tackles at left back or right back after sum1 had ran thru jig & edu with ease. Watch steven davis on the break from a corner or wen he actually is playing his position as centre mid nd has ppl actually makin runs 4 him giving him options. I agree his free kicks & corners are pish but his effort, tackling, short passing, pace and ability to start a goal starting move r 2nd 2 none. As a gods honest blue nose davis & kayal from the pigotory wuld b best cm duo in scotland. He does make mistakes like shot he missed 2nyt & his corners bt look at his perfornance in CIS cup final and virtually every performance since he came 2 ibrix have shown heart, passion, intwlligence & better than any i hav seen from jig or edu. he is captain of his country 4 a reason & organises our defence wall at free kicks etc becasus he can. Very happy he is captain, shagger deserves it bt shagger will command box and shout jst as much with the band or not. Davis will touch every blade of grass every game he plays, hes captain of northern ireland 4 a reason. True 110% committed, techichally great footballer

YOU R MY DAVIS, MY STEVEN DAVIS, YOU WILL NEVER KNOW, HOW MUCH I LOVE qs-

YOU, PLEASE DONT TAKE MY DAVIS AWAY!!!!!!

Dont care what any1 says davis is the best midfielder in the country right wing or not he is the most complete, he playd ryt wing wen we thumpd celtic at p/head and mendes scored a belter (which he crossd fron a corner) but this was due 2 him putting un a strong shift at ryt mid wen we had 2 gd centre midfielders lyk mendes & thompson. Against hearts i watchd davis make the final tackles at left back or right back after sum1 had ran thru jig & edu with ease. Watch steven davis on the break from a corner or wen he actually is playing his position as centre mid nd has ppl actually makin runs 4 him giving him options. I agree his free kicks & corners are pish but his effort, tackling, short passing, pace and ability to start a goal starting move r 2nd 2 none. As a gods honest blue nose davis & kayal from the pigotory wuld b best cm duo in scotland. He does make mistakes like shot he missed 2nyt & his corners bt look at his perfornance in CIS cup final and virtually every performance since he came 2 ibrix have shown heart, passion, intwlligence & better than any i hav seen from jig or edu. he is captain of his country 4 a reason & organises our defence wall at free kicks etc becasus he can. Very happy he is captain, shagger deserves it bt shagger will command box and shout jst as much with the band or not. Davis will touch every blade of grass every game he plays, hes captain of northern ireland 4 a reason. True 110% committed, techichally great footballer

YOU R MY DAVIS, MY STEVEN DAVIS, YOU WILL NEVER KNOW, HOW MUCH I LOVE qs-

YOU, PLEASE DONT TAKE MY DAVIS AWAY!!!!!!

Breathe, man.

Davis is one of the untouchables. No matter how many corners he pings off the first defender's head, no matter how many times he fails to hit his target with a 40 yard crossfield ball, no matter how many games he goes without scoring, it'll ALWAYS be Jig's or Edu's fault when he doesn't perform.

Spot on.

I also find it strange than when other players go through a bad spell for months they'r automatically shite but when its Steven Davis, like the majority of last season, its just him "off-form".

He's the golden boy that can do what he wants, fuck knows why.

Davis worked his socks off tonight.

He's always looking for the ball (did anyone else notice the number of times he collected it from the 18 yard line?) and when he's on it, he's always being proactive and looking for something positive to do with it.

His corners are shite though.

I love Davis, think he is a cracking player but his corners are shite (tu) Although why did Walter and now Ally persist with him taking them? The best corner taker I've seen from us in ages is Fleck

Davis is doing the job of 3 men when he plays RM.

He covers whitts mistakes, he plays RM, he comes into the middle of midfield to try to create, while edu stands and watches him.

I do feel sorry for him, he certainly has to carry the whole midfield IMO

Davis is doing the job of 3 men when he plays RM.

He covers whitts mistakes, he plays RM, he comes into the middle of midfield to try to create, while edu stands and watches him.

I do feel sorry for him, he certainly has to carry the whole midfield IMO

Spot on (tu)

tbh Davis was just as bad , hardly showed for the ball and his distribution was awful to say the least , only two lads with pass marks and thats Mcgregor and Jelly , the rest were fucking woeful with the worst culprits , Whittaker , Edu , McCulloch and Naismith

Can't believe what i'm reading to be honest.

Steven Davis is a quality player. Play him in centre midfield and we'll look a much better side.

Not a better midfielder in the SPL for me.

:davis: :davis: :davis:

Tbh we should sell him and let the master tacticians on here decide what move to make next! I fucking hate this site at times