Fabregas On Verge Of Joining Barca

Arsenal's Cesc Fabregas on verge of Barcelona move

Page last updated at 17:56 GMT, Wednesday, 10 August 2011 18:56 UK

By Dan Roan

BBC sports news correspondent

Fabregas started his career with Barcelona at the age of 10

Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas is close to signing for European champions Barcelona for a fee believed to be about £35m.

The transfer, one of the most protracted in Premier League history, is yet to be completed but Arsenal expect it to be done by the weekend.

According to a senior source at the club, all the funds generated by the sale will be reinvested in new players.

The Gunners have been linked with Scott Dann, Phil Jagielka and Gary Cahill.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger looks intent on strengthening his defence and reports have suggested centre-backs Dann of Birmingham, Everton's Jagielka and Cahill of Bolton could be targets.

Fabregas, 24, would be unable to feature for Barcelona in the Champions League if he plays a part in Arsenal's match with Udinese on Tuesday, motivating both clubs to complete a deal before that game.

DAN ROAN ON FABREGAS SAGA

Continue reading the main story

Despite the potential loss of a great player and captain, many Arsenal fans will greet the conclusion of one of football's most protracted transfer sagas with a sense of relief. Fabregas' departure will cap off a traumatic few months for Arsenal, and Arsene Wenger must now reinvest wisely in order to appease fans after six seasons without a trophy. The purchase of targets like Juan Mata and Phil Jagielka would be a start as Arsenal seek to rebuild their side around Jack Wilshere, and compete with wealthier rivals. In short Arsenal must move on from Fabregas, and quickly.

The BBC understands a fee of £30m, plus over £5m of additional performance-related payments, is close to being reached for Fabregas.

It is believed that, if he is sold, the Spaniard will be due £4m in compensation - £1m for each year of his contract he did not complete - but may be prepared to forego that payment in order to facilitate a deal.

Negotiations have been conducted by Barcelona's Vice-President Josep Maria Bartomeu and is believed to be a final take-it-or-leave-it offer, leaving Arsenal having to sell one of the major assets or keep a player who has his heart set on a move.

The transfer fee is significantly less than the £40m that Arsenal had been holding out for and suggests that the Gunners felt they had no choice but to sell a player who wanted to leave.

Fabregas, who has 58 caps for Spain, joined Arsenal from the Catalan giants in 2003 and, since making his name in north London, has been persistently linked with a return to his boyhood club.

Wenger will now turn his attention to keeping Samir Nasri at the club, who has refused to sign a new deal at the Emirates amid speculation of interest from Manchester City.

If the Fabregas deal goes through as expected, he will become Barcelona's second major signing of the summer following their £23m purchase of Chilean forward Alexis Sanchez.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope he signs for Real M, that will left him somehow unhappy and so all the Barcelona players that are moaning about him to sign in the last few years - something that makes me sick in my stomach.

Off topic - that Wenger guy is sick. I used to like Arsenal from the moment Bergkamp joined them(my favorite player ever), and i remember Wenger, refusing to give more than a 1 year contract extension to Pires, because 'the club only offers one year deals to old players' and does buy only players under the age of 30... Then Pires left, and somewhere in the future Arsenal bought players like Silvestre, Gallas, the retired Jens Lehmann, Sol Campbell :praise:

Also, everyone knew in the last few years that Arsenal is not going to make it through the title with the likes of Clichy, Sagna, Coscielny, Campbell, Gallas, Denilson, Song.

Remember their EPL winning team - Lehmann,Seaman,Bergkamp,Pires,Henry,Ljungberg,Vieira,Cole,Adams,Keown,Lauren,Parlour,Kanu, the younger Sol Campbell,etc.

Compare them to what Arsenal have now - Van Persie, Vermaelen(always injured), Fabregas(always moaning about his fuckin Barcelona), Walcott, Arshavin, Nasri, Gervinho. Not even close to the title.

A magical player, but I'm not sure Barca need him.

£34m could get them two good defenders and a half decent back up to Valdez and that's a lot more of a requirement than Fabregas.

Thiago Alacantra is already there and I'm not sure I'd want to stunt his development.

I'm gutted if this happens

This could mean thiago going further down the pecking order

The boy is a genius and will be miles better off keeping the £30m and putting it towards replacing puyol etc who is getting on in years

I'm gutted if this happens

This could mean thiago going further down the pecking order

The boy is a genius and will be miles better off keeping the £30m and putting it towards replacing puyol etc who is getting on in years

I'm feeling the same regarding Thiago.

I'm extremely excited to see him develop this season, as he is a top, top talent. The signing of Fabregas could move him down the pecking order if you were, but if Thiago is as good as he's shown over the summer then his performances should force himself into Pep's plans.

I hope Pedro doesn't get dropped to accommodate Cesc Fabregas, he certainly wouldn't deserve it.

I agree with papaguy!

The signing was more a case of the players and the fans wanting him there rather than thinking about where he will fit in to the team and who will have to miss out!! Barca have some immense players coming through in midfield will be a shame to see them fall down the pecking order!