Expanding The Stadium...

RangersMedia

This is just a random question I've been thinking about today. Never mind all the pro's/con's for expanding the stadium, I'm not interested in that and don't wish this thread to turn into that as it has been done to death on here.

My question is this : how? How would we be able to expand the stadium? I'm not well versed in anything architectural, but I don't see how, from looking at Ibrox we could fit another tier in without some major foundational work? If it were even possible to do, wouldn't it be bloody expensive to do?

Also, the front of the Bill Struth stand is listed, yes?

Answers, lads?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill Struth Stand (frontage) is an A-Listed building and would require permission from Heritage Scotland for any alterations or even demolition.

This is unlikely to be given.

The three other stands (Copland, Govan and Broomloan) could be demolished and rebuilt - but why would anyone want to do that?

A. There is no demand for more seats.

B. See 'A'.

C. Er......see 'A' again.

(Note: There is no 'D')

I was told apprently the broomloan and copland were designed with a possible additional tier in mind

Interesting, That would certainly increase capacity dramatically. Would be shit to have to give the scum so many seats though at an OF game, doubt the police would allow one of the tiers to be Rangers fans :-/.

You could fill in the corners too, but we'd need to be creative in that regard to comply with planning rules.

By planning rules do you mean concerning safety Badger? Or something else?

If we start filling the seats we have every home game then it would be time to think about it. Sadly that isn't going to happen.

Success and nice, attacking football alongside a competitive pricing structure would get the stadium filled. We're on the right path. Hopefully it keeps up. We've hovered around the 44k mark for the past few home games.

Genuinely think Rangers should be donating a set amount of tickets to local kids, charities, the hospital up the road. 3k tickets a game that we're never going to sell anyway currently. Could possibly bring increased sales in regards to merchandising etc and buys you goodwill from the community.

hang the screens from the broomie and copland (then the whole stadium could see them) then fill in the corners where the screens are. That would bring the capacity up to around the 60'000 mark, it doesnt need to be bigger than that. That would be my perfect scenario. Hard to argue against that imo

hang the screens from the broomie and copland (then the whole stadium could see them) then fill in the corners where the screens are. That would bring the capacity up to around the 60'000 mark, it doesnt need to be bigger than that. That would be my perfect scenario. Hard to argue against that imo

What he said. Simples. :crabflute:

Would look much better too.

Which corners though Ben? I've always thought the current two sides that are still open are required for maintenance access etc. Also, that would probs not increase capacity by much?

Were the 'screens' are. No matter what way you look at it, it is always going to cost a huge sum of money and huge planning.

What I'll always dream of until the day I die, no matter how unfeasible it would be..Is the Copland being made into one tier and all safe standing.

Imagine the noise, and then the fear that would put into teams. Honestly :crywank:

Bill Struth Stand (frontage) is an A-Listed building and would require permission from Heritage Scotland for any alterations or even demolition.

This is unlikely to be given.

The three other stands (Copland, Govan and Broomloan) could be demolished and rebuilt - but why would anyone want to do that?

A. There is no demand for more seats.

B. See 'A'.

C. Er......see 'A' again.

(Note: There is no 'D')

I'll be a pedantic fuck here and correct you by saying it's B-Listed :crabflute:

We would be able to build a whole new tier from the broomloan round to the copland similar to what Man Utd did when they upgraded their stadium, you would be talking a 70,000 capacity. Would love to see it some day. Imagine it on old firm day. Ooooooh ya fucker!!!

We would be able to build a whole new tier from the broomloan round to the copland similar to what Man Utd did when they upgraded their stadium, you would be talking a 70,000 capacity. Would love to see it some day. Imagine it on old firm day. Ooooooh ya fucker!!!

Would also love to see that, but the majority of the games it would be embarrassing because it would be empty. An extra 10,000 seats max for me. Unless the top tier was free tickets for kids. No way we'd fill it if people had to pay for it. We can barely fill it now. Increasing the capacity by almost a half would look really bad when no one is up there. Look how bad celtic park is when they have all those empty seats.

I did a bit of structural analysis on the main stand at college (Now at Uni) in Architectural technology and it was really interesting. One of the main reasons for the main stand being listed is becuase of the relationship between the red brick facade and structural grame. It is unique with how the frame structure is fixed back to a brick facade which is not seen anymore in stadiums.

When the screens got put in it resulted in a few structural changes. Accommodating the screens necessitated moving the columns at the North East and North corners (Broomloan/Govan and Copland/Govan) and the introduction of heavy cantilever trusses to transfer reactions at the end of the truss to a location which did not interrupt sight lines. All of this complex structure though is hidden by the cladding that covers the roof.

So basically I'm of the opinion that if we are going to increase the capacity the best options would be to demolish and rebuild one or two stands because it might not be as easy as people think to remove the screens and replace them with seats due to structural stability and practical issues.

If there is indeed the possibility of building another tier onto a stand then that would obiously be ideal but I don't think it is an option we would go down.

I did a bit of structural analysis on the main stand at college (Now at Uni) in Architectural technology and it was really interesting. One of the main reasons for the main stand being listed is becuase of the relationship between the red brick facade and structural grame. It is unique with how the frame structure is fixed back to a brick facade which is not seen anymore in stadiums.

When the screens got put in it resulted in a few structural changes. Accommodating the screens necessitated moving the columns at the North East and North corners (Broomloan/Govan and Copland/Govan) and the introduction of heavy cantilever trusses to transfer reactions at the end of the truss to a location which did not interrupt sight lines. All of this complex structure though is hidden by the cladding that covers the roof.

So basically I'm of the opinion that if we are going to increase the capacity the best options would be to demolish and rebuild one or two stands because it might not be as easy as people think to remove the screens and replace them with seats due to structural stability and practical issues.

If there is indeed the possibility of building another tier onto a stand then that would obiously be ideal but I don't think it is an option we would go down.

In that case that only leaves us the option of building on top of the govan then. Correct? Building on the broomie or copland wouldnt look right imo.

Or could they not restructure the corners where the screens are to accomodate seating?

In that case that only leaves us the option of building on top of the govan then. Correct? Building on the broomie or copland wouldnt look right imo

Yeah I agree. It makes no real sense to expand the stadium just now though but if we just so happened to get into the EPL then I'd be all up for demolishing some stands and rebuilding them.

It would be nice to have the biggest stadium in Scotland and possibly Britain but we would struggle drastically to fill it if we continued to play in the SPL.