Allan McGregor

simplythebest

Surprised there hasn't been a topic on this yet.

Bad mistake from McGregor for the Aberdeen goal yesterday and the fact it didn't cost us the game obviously draws less attention to it, but I think it has to be noted that mistakes have been creeping into our number 1 'keeper's game this season and we're only in October. I just hope he hasn't become too comfortable in the position he's in and is losing focus like he's done a couple of times before since becoming number 1, it's something for Ally and the goalkeeping coaches will need to look at.

This isn't a thread saying sell Allan McGregor, or even drop him, because we know what he can do at his best especially with shot stopping, we've still seen it this season of course. But no player is beyond reproach and every player needs too keep on earning their place. The always reliable Neil Alexander got some very harsh critisism on here for the mistake against Falkirk even though it was probably the first time we'd been let down by him so it's only fair that McGregor's error prone spell (IMO of course) is at least pointed out.

We've always been really lucky with goalkeepers within my memory (Letizi aside) and the two we have are great in my opinion, McGregor has been a revelation especially, but i'm starting to feel a bit uncomfortable with him when it comes to potential howlers and dealing with basic things and it isn't the first time, hopefully it's just a bad spell because Allan has been such a vital part of our success over the last few years.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say he rarely makes these mistakes but all too often this season he has either made a mistake or been unconvincing at times (where not necessarily leading to a goal).

I do agree with you that he is possibly too comfortable in his position but I wouldn't be of a mind to drop him as when he does make a mistake in a game he usually responds right after by pulling off some great saves and gets him more fired up.

The only good aspect about the mistakes coming now is they haven't cost us as of yet.

What did annoy me however was right away after he conceded the goal he went off on one for players allowing Foster to shoot, now if Allan had got his body behind the strike rather than simply moving his hands there would have been no goal.

Very good goalkeeper but the amount of lapses of concentration this early into the season is worrying, despite our unbeaten run and the fact we have only conceded 5 goals.

Everyone makes mistakes. I'm not going to worry about it, the guy has been class for a number of years.

He has pulled us out of a hole many a time (gigitty) he has earned the right to make mistakes and not get pulled up about it.

While it cannot reasonably be denied that mistakes have been creeping into his game, it is very rare that his mistakes cost us dearly, whereas he has saved us many times over. If the worst that Shagger does this season is put an end to our away clean sheet record, I'll take that.

Everyone makes mistakes. I'm not going to worry about it, the guy has been class for a number of years.

He has pulled us out of a hole many a time (gigitty) he has earned the right to make mistakes and not get pulled up about it.

Not doubting his heroics in recent past mate but I don't believe any player has the devine right to make a mistake and not be pulled up about it.

Especially two absolutely terrible errors.

He's our Number 1 still but he does not keep his concentration up more, I'm sure Ally will have a word with him about it.

No mistake he has made has cost us so far this season, but the fact the errors are creeping in has to make you worry it could cost us at some point.

Shagger is top drawer and saved our arses on countless occasions but that's been two absolute howlers in big games this season. It's not cost us dearly yet but he will need to focus more.

3 if count his error for Scotland.

It has happened in the past with Allan, concentration seams to drop off at times, but he has saved our arses so many times in some big games that I have no doubt that he and the coaching staff will deal appropriately with any issue there may be

Think its something thats always been in his game, but this seasons have been particularly cringeworthy. All goalkeepers make howlers though, its just part and parcel of the game that any error they make will invariable lead to a goal.

His mistakes do seem to come from long-range efforts that should be routine to deal with, so that would indicate that its a lack of focus or a bit of complacency thats crept into his game.

That is simply not true, nobody is above critisism regardless of past exploits.

Clearly if people were demanding he be sold then they're going over the top but that's not even close to what I posted.

Clearly if people were demanding he be sold then they're going over the top but that's not even close to what I posted.

This is the problem with raising the point mate, I understood fully where you were coming from yet I knew what response would come through. In fact I was going to make a similar thread yesterday however the site was well...gubbed!

Some players can do no wrong in the eyes of the support however I fully expect that the coaching staff will be having a quiet word with him about the lapse of concentration to make sure his heads right and that he ensure he is concentrating at all times.

Feel free to criticise, I just don't see the point. Two lapses in concentration don't concern me in the slightest.

Allan McGregor is one of the better keepers in the UK and has saved us a lot more than he has made mistakes..

I ultimately see 2... We won both matches.

He is the least of our worries.

Irrelevant.

An error is an error, it's down to the goalkeepers luck what time in the game it comes about and how many goals the outfield players have already scored. Alexander was unlucky his error at Falkirk came in the last minute and we were drawing the match, McGregor was lucky that we were already 2-0 up and held out for the rest of the game yesterday, against Celtic he was fortunate there was time to come back and that we did come back.

Perhaps if a goalkeeper makes an error when the team is 5-0 up I can deal with the idea that it doesn't matter, but Allan's mistakes were important ones at the time even if we won both matches.

Feel free to criticise, I just don't see the point. Two lapses in concentration don't concern me in the slightest.

How many lapses will it need to be before you get concerned?

McGregor's come back from uncertain spells before and I don't see any reason he won't again, but some shaky stuff from him this season is worth raising in my opinion, i'm sure it's something Ally and the goalkeeping coaches will have some slight concern about and will want to look at.

This is the problem with raising the point mate, I understood fully where you were coming from yet I knew what response would come through. In fact I was going to make a similar thread yesterday however the site was well...gubbed!

Some players can do no wrong in the eyes of the support however I fully expect that the coaching staff will be having a quiet word with him about the lapse of concentration to make sure his heads right and that he ensure he is concentrating at all times.

Should be remembered back in 2008 Walter dropped McGregor for about three games because of a lack of focus after he'd cost us about 2 or 3 goals and generally hadn't look convincing.

I've got plenty of faith that McGregor will get back to his best but at the same time I can't just write off what I see as some unconvincing stuff from him this season as nothing worth being concerned about.

How many lapses will it need to be before you get concerned?

McGregor's come back from uncertain spells before and I don't see any reason he won't again, but some shaky stuff from him this season is worth raising in my opinion, i'm sure it's something Ally and the goalkeeping coaches will have some slight concern about and will want to look at.

The coaches won't be concerned at all, McGregor will be overly harsh on himself. I would probably have been annoyed if the mistakes had cost us points. They didn't and I'm not annoyed.

The coaches won't be concerned at all, McGregor will be overly harsh on himself. I would probably have been annoyed if the mistakes had cost us points. They didn't and I'm not annoyed.

I fail to really see the relevance in this thing about us being cost points by goalkeeper errors or not.

That's just luck the mistakes never came at another time or with a different score, Neil Alexander was unlucky that the howler at Falkirk came at the worst possible time with a shite scoreline.

Disagree on the coaching, I trust Ally to look closely at any player who's had lapses in concentration.

Not concerned in the slightest.

He saved us in the first half when Mackie(?) was clean through one on one with Shagger.....looked a cert goal to me. Alan stood tall and saved us. Truth be told....after losing Naismith, and going a goal down just after it, our heads would have been mince. It could be argued that that save as good as won us the game yesterday!

Losing a silly goal at 2-0 up with 10 mins to go when we were comfortable.....I'll accept no question!