The height of nonsense

loch71

I remember on the TV show Blue heaven there was a wee ginger kid that got released by Rangers and it was because he was too small, the worst thing was that there was no shame in that attitude, didn't matter what talent he had, he was just too small so we need to release him.

Aye - Walter and Ally know"jack sheite" all about football ! :anguish: If he is good enough for them then thats good enough for me! And if he is chossen over one of your prefered choices that is still good enough for me!

Outside the Spl ? I wouldn't say "jack shite" but they don't know an awful lot.

Outside the Spl ? I wouldn't say "jack shite" but they don't know an awful lot.

LOL - Walter got us to a UEFA final - not many Scots managers have managed to take a team that far!! Also a good number of our Rangers 'heros' are from outwith Scotland and signed by Walter and Ally - so that also suggests they know a good deal about football home and abroad. But dont let that bother your misconceptions.

It's the scottish mentality towards football and coaching and will keep us being pish until a big change in mindset takes place at grass roots. Someone with real coaching talent needs to come along and grab scottish football by the balls (no pun intended) and make sure everyone is on the same sheet. That includes a larger SPL meaning teams can actually play younger players in games that don't have so much pressure on them.

It's coaching at Boys Club level and youth level that has to change.

However the one thing i don't think we will ever change is the Scottish Society. Kids are happier sitting playing computer games or sending texts or using facebook than they are participating in sports.

Parents have to accompany them everywhere now such is the fear factor.

New estates do not have anywhere for kids to kick a ball about.

You also have more sports getting their acts together and competing for the stars of tomorrow like golf,tennis and athletics.

In short there are a combination of factors that are reducing the amount of boys who could make it as footballers so the gene pool to pick from is decreasing each year.

In the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's all young lads ever did was play football or ride their bikes. There were plenty of football parks and grassy areas to play on and there were no worries about paedos or the distractions of computers. Plus other sports were more "elite" and you usually found the richer kids playing tennis and golf regardless.

A lot has to change but a lot in my view cannot now be changed back.

However the one thing i don't think we will ever change is the Scottish Society. Kids are happier sitting playing computer games or sending texts or using facebook than they are participating in sports.

You also have more sports getting their acts together and competing for the stars of tomorrow like golf,tennis and athletics.

In short there are a combination of factors that are reducing the amount of boys who could make it as footballers so the gene pool to pick from is decreasing each year.

In the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's all young lads ever did was play football or ride their bikes. There were plenty of football parks and grassy areas to play on and there were no worries about paedos or the distractions of computers. Plus other sports were more "elite" and you usually found the richer kids playing tennis and golf regardless.

.... and yet other, modern, rich countries continue to produce decent talent. Small countries such as Portugal, Belgium, Holland do pretty well, have a good deal of talent with excellent skills. There is no reason why we cant do better BUT from where we are someone needs to take a 10 - 20 year view. We will never get back to all the boys, playing football all the time but other countries have proven that this need not be a factor in producing talent.

It's no different here in Netherlands and they don't have any problem finding new stars year after year. I think the main issue is attitude and mindset of coaches.

Most definately a Scottish thing and English as well. It's only small foreign players they have other than Defoe and Lennon. Until the pair of us start bringing through some small technically gifted players England don't stand a chance of ever winning the World Cup again and Scotland will struggle to regularly qualify, if at all.

You are right - a lot has to change. I, however, dont agree that it cannot be changed. There was a great article posted a couple of weeks ago regardin the Germans, and how they did it. They realised that the system wasnt good enough, so they invested and changed it. They are now reaping the benefits both in in the league and international outfit. Now, Germany is a big country and the scale of the project was massive.. I dont see why the SFA couldnt study this model and try and implement something similar.. ? Partisan attitude amongst clubs and their academies is something that needs changed for this model to work. League and international setup would both benefit.

Does anybody have a link to the article?

.... and yet other, modern, rich countries continue to produce decent talent. Small countries such as Portugal, Belgium, Holland do pretty well, have a good deal of talent with excellent skills. There is no reason why we cant do better BUT from where we are someone needs to take a 10 - 20 year view. We will never get back to all the boys, playing football all the time but other countries have proven that this need not be a factor in producing talent.

Other countries do not have the social ills we have. Plus and more importantly other countries put far more money and effort in to nurturing young talent.

Ask guys who run boys clubs just how expensive and disheartening it is getting. About the availability of decent pitches and facilities. Councils cutting costs and government spending cuts means public sports are way down the list of priorities.

The financial side may change in 5 or 10 years time but the Scottish psyche will never change.

LOL - Walter got us to a UEFA final - not many Scots managers have managed to take a team that far!! Also a good number of our Rangers 'heros' are from outwith Scotland and signed by Walter and Ally - so that also suggests they know a good deal about football home and abroad. But dont let that bother your misconceptions.

:lol:

You spoke there about one fantastic season he had in Europe, I could name plenty when we weren't so fantastic because of some of his negative tactics, unless you'v forgot about Unirea, Kaunas etc...

:lol:

You spoke there about one fantastic season he had in Europe, I could name plenty when we weren't so fantastic because of some of his negative tactics, unless you'v forgot about Unirea, Kaunas etc...

.. and his knowledge of football outwith Scotland brought us the likes of Laudrup... oh and your moniker - lets not forget Jelavik and Ally has Boccanegra and Gioan. But I guess if you were a Walter hater during the good times - you are bound to be worse now but if you think he does not know anything other than scottish football you are misguided.

.. and his knowledge of football outwith Scotland brought us the likes of Laudrup... oh and your moniker - lets not forget Jelavik and Ally has Boccanegra and Gioan. But I guess if you were a Walter hater during the good times - you are bound to be worse now but if you think he does not know anything other than scottish football you are misguided.

Walter hater, nice try. :lol:

His knowledge out-with Scottish football brought Laudrup ? What the fuck made you come up with that conclusion ?

My original point, which still stands, was that if Walter had a lot of knowledge of football out-with the spl then we would'v had more successful seasons in Europe that just the 2.

I don't see what there's to debate...

Walter hater, nice try. :lol:

His knowledge out-with Scottish football brought Laudrup ? What the fuck made you come up with that conclusion ?

My original point, which still stands, was that if Walter had a lot of knowledge of football out-with the spl then we would'v had more successful seasons in Europe that just the 2.

I don't see what there's to debate...

LOL You still, even above, repeat your assertion that Walter did not have a lot of knowledge of football outwith the SPL and yet you want to discount the foreign players he brought in, discount a UEFA final - like it happens all the time - and yet only want to bring up his errors. Strikes me as all the actions of someone who cant give Walter credit where credit is due. And you also asert the same for Ally even though he has only had one shot at Europe and a crap budget. Go Figure!.

LOL You still, even above, repeat your assertion that Walter did not have a lot of knowledge of football outwith the SPL and yet you want to discount the foreign players he brought in, discount a UEFA final - like it happens all the time - and yet only want to bring up his errors. Strikes me as all the actions of someone who cant give Walter credit where credit is due. And you also asert the same for Ally even though he has only had one shot at Europe and a crap budget. Go Figure!.

Show me where I discounted the foreign player he brought in...

And discounted a EUFA final, how so ? I made it clear as day in my previous posts he had two fantastic seasons in Europe, do you not think I was including the season we got to the EUFA cup final as part of the 2 ?

And as for bringing up his errors, I've only done it this one time, and I'm not wrong ;)

Go through my previous posts and you'll find plenty of praise from me to him.

Alex Ferguson gets criticised for his failings in Europe with Man United, no doubt some will mention the difference in finances etc, which is a fair point in today's era.

However I'll take you back to Walter having money to spend in his first stint and brining in some very good players and still flopped in Europe. Walter spent a good amount of money in his second spell and still had shambolic results in Europe, mainly. One season won't change that, very debatable that McLeish run to the last 16 is as big an achievement of us getting to the Uefa Cup final.

There is no debate that Walter failed in Europe more often that he should have. Would go along that his European knowledge was not great, but it was not shit either.

(tu)

You're back on my friends list now. :D

To say that Walter has little knowledge outside the SPL is nonsense, where does one preceed the other ? Can you get to a UEFA cup final but still be a shit manager if you're moved to another country ? Don't think so. For Walter Smith to win third place in a tough Champions league group that contained the likes of Man United and Valencia is some achievement, and would be viewed as that by world football. Some of his accomplishments in Europe over the last 4 years have been extraordinary for a team that was forced upon him. Lyon 0-3, holding the greatest side in the world in barca to a 0-0 draw and the amazing european run are to the credit of a great manager. Dear God, there isn't even a debate about that.