Nikica Jelavic or Kris Boyd?

Amac9

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd have to go back decades to find a regular Rangers striker that Kris Boyd was better than.

I can't think of many established Rangers strikers that Boydy could have kept out of the team in the last 40 or 50 years (unless we start mentioning the Urquharts and Scotts etc.)

John McDonald, probably, but I can't think of a lot.

Jelavic is clearly a million times better player than Boyd.

Jalavic could run about all day and not score a goal, but boyd could stroll about the park not giving a fuck and score a hatrick.

Imagine a player with boyd's scoring abilty with all jelavics skills then you could possibly have a world class player.

Jalavic could run about all day and not score a goal, but boyd could stroll about the park not giving a fuck and score a hatrick.

Imagine a player with boyd's scoring abilty with all jelavics skills then you could possibly have a world class player.

You could put it another way.

Imagine a player like Boyd, who was as professional as someone like Jelavic, and was willing to work his balls off to become the legend he should/could have been.

Boyd could and should have been better than Ally McCoist.

All he needed was to get himself half a yard of pace, 20 minutes more stamina, and one more testicle for the fight...all achievable without too much extra effort.

Instead, he decided to coast on his singular asset of great positional sense for a goal.

Well we won 3 titles without boyd scoring against them.

This thread isn't about who was covering for Boyd in games against the tarriers, though.

We won 3 titles without Boyd scoring against them, because everybody else stepped up to the plate to compensate for his inadequacies.

A no brainer of a question as Jelavic is the better footballer by a country mile.

However slag Boyd off all you want but the following stats will not be beaten for a long long time by a striker in a Rangers jersey.

193 Games (incl 40 sub appearances)

128 Goals (28 Pens)

1 Quintuple

7 Hat-tricks

21 Doubles

We paid £400,000 and got a £400,000 player.

We paid £4M for Jelavic and got a £4M player.

Brilliant post mate.

Before anyone falls off their chair in laughter at the thought of Kris Boyd being a better footballer than Nikica Jelavic this is in fact a serious post.

On my RSC bus at our last game this is what was being debated by two idiots behind me. One actualy said that 'Jelavic is a lazy bastard and is worse than Boyd' doh How can anyone say Jelavic is lazy? I have seen him chase his own headers and flick ons and do more running in 45 minutes than Boyd would put in during 3 games.

So does anyone think Boyd is better...

boyd scored more goals per game I expect but jela certainly is not lazy.

I wonder what Kris Boyd thinks now?

From scoring goals, having his name chanted every week and winning honours with his boyhood heroes to being a squad player for some mid table table Turkish mob in the space of eighteen months.

His bank balance has been significantly boosted and he has set himself up for life, but he still must kick himself every single day.

Yeah unfortunately that class of player would not be at Rangers in this era :disappointment:

I wonder what Kris Boyd thinks now?

From scoring goals, having his name chanted every week and winning honours with his boyhood heroes to being a squad player for some mid table table Turkish mob in the space of eighteen months.

His bank balance has been significantly boosted and he has set himself up for life, but he still must kick himself every single day.

Who knows? But to be honest i've never blamed him for leaving as much as most do. Despite being our top goalscorer for five seasons there was certainly a feel that Boyd was never really that wanted by players and management. I know there was a chant about him like you mentioned but you only had to look at this forum to see there was at least mixed feelings.

I'm a big believer in nobody being above critisism and of course there were flaws in his game worth discussing, but I think it could go over the top for Boyd considering what he did contribute. Every performance of his seemed to get analysed to the nth degree whether he scored or not, he was dropped frequently for 'big' games or after not scoring for a few while Walter Smith persisted with players who were also terribly off form, people were incredibly quick to turn against him and call him 'useless' amongst stonger things and declare he should never play again and be sold at the first opportunity. I know it's unlikely Kris Boyd read RM but the media pick up on things and they certainly made it clear how much he divided opinion, and Walter's dropping of him was always big news.

I'm not saying I was patting him on the back for leaving, i've just found myself more understanding than most as to why he may have left, apart from money obviously.