FC Basel & APEL Nicosia

kanjo

We had a realistic chance of qualifying out of the Unirea group, but we played as if we didn't deserve to be there at all and this year, with pisstakers like whittaker sealing our fate for us didn't help. Who knows, we may get there in the end.

They dont do it every year do they. Both ourselves and celtic have been in the last 16 and european finals in the past decade.

Spot on. It's a one off for both teams and a feat that both Rangers and Celtic have achieved.

We've done it, but never under the circumstances of those clubs.

APOEL don't even have a budget half of what we have and they won their group.

For Basel to put those wankers into the EL was just fascinating...I hope we can one day do that again.

FC Basel are probably a better example, although I'm not sure about the set up etc with wages, tax and work permit laws.

As for APOEL, we can't flood our team full of south american players.

Saying that it's not impossible for us to qualify for the last 16, but... It's getting harder for us.

We've done it, but never under the circumstances of those clubs.

APOEL don't even have a budget half of what we have and they won their group.

For Basel to put those wankers into the EL was just fascinating...I hope we can one day do that again.

APOEL topped the group with 9 points, a total that would see you papped out more often that not.

Congrats to both Basel and APOEL. It's always refreshing to see clubs from smaller countries compete with the big boys and will hopefully inspire Ally and the players to get us back playing champion's league football. I agree with an earlier post that qualifying for the group stage isn't as hard as people think as long as we are league champions.

We could qualify for the Champions League every year and make gradual progress as each season goes on,we may not win it but hey who thought we would make Manchester with Kirky Broaderz in the team?

We need gutted from top to bottom though,if our right back is injured or suspended we need to replace him with a right back regardless of his age or the opposition.

Not a centre back or a left-back that has played that position at his local ash park.

What hope are we giving these youngsters coming through the ranks when they see folk shoe-horned into positions before they are given a chance?,I know a big factor is the fear of being second behind celt*c but hey see if we lose the league in a year or two of transition in return to then have a squad capable of sweeping up all our domestic trophies and standing their ground in Europe I'm all for it.

Good to see some smaller teams making it through. Makes it a bit more exciting. The champions league has become too predictable over the past few years with the same teams going through all the time. Just goes to show you don't need to spend big money to be successful

Two teams who have shown no fear in the competition, and have gone out thinking they can win each game.

Us on the other hand...

Did you see APOEL play Zenit away? made our performance against Werder in the UEFA look like the Brazil 70 team in comparison.

APOEL topped the group with 9 points, a total that would see you papped out more often that not.

Man City went out on 10 points.

You either need great players or a good coach/manager to compete in Europe. Unfortunate as it is to say we have, at best, decent players and a decent manager who will hopefully learn from this season and turn out to be a capable manager.