Mojo Interview

julescotia

MO JOHNSTON was welcomed back to Ibrox with open arms.

When he watches next week's Old Firm game at Parkhead he also hopes for a good reception — on his TV.

Johnston has returned to Glasgow from Canada to see friends and family over Christmas.

And Mojo took the opportunity to see Rangers beat Caley Thistle 2-1 last Saturday and even did the half-time draw.

But it's hard to imagine Johnston, 48, setting foot inside Parkhead again never mind being applauded by Celtic fans.

Johnston — who stunned the football world by joining Gers in 1989 after looking like he was returning to Celtic — said: "It was good to be back at Ibrox.

"I caught up with Ally McCoist, Kenny McDowall and Ian Durrant in the manager's office.

"I did the half-time draw and got a great reception from the Rangers supporters. The fans were brilliant and I had a terrific day.

"I speak to Coisty every now and again and I came back this time last year and went along to Murray Park to see the boys training.

"I had a good blether with Walter Smith last year before going upstairs for a wee bit of scran.

"It's always good to come back. But it was strange drinking tea with him in his office — it wasn't tea 20 years ago I can promise you!

"I'm back in Scotland until January 6.

"But I've made a conscious decision to stay at home for the Old Firm game and just watch it on TV."

Johnston laughs at the idea of going back to the ground where he was once adored.

But he insists it will be a serious business when Celtic host leaders Rangers next Wednesday night.

He added: "It's going to be a massive game. If Celtic win it's game-on again.

"If Rangers win they could go seven points clear again. I know they both have games this weekend, but I expect them both to win their matches going into the big one next week.

"Celtic are playing some great stuff at the moment and scoring goals. I thought they were terrific against Udinese.

"They could easily have come away with the victory for the way they played, let alone the penalty they should have got for handball.

"If they can beat Rangers they will believe they can win the title.

"It's a match of huge magnitude because if Rangers win the championship really swings their way. The difference between winning and losing is massive.

"Speaking to Coisty, I think he's looking forward to it — but then he always thrived on this type of occasion.

"If you look at Coisty's record he scored in big games. The only thing is he's not playing any more.

"Rangers will need to be careful with the boy Gary Hooper up front for Celtic.

"He's been scoring very well and taking his chances. Anthony Stokes is another who is capable of finding the net.

"Celtic's midfield is also fairly good and it will be a very interesting game."

Rangers were far from convincing against Caley Thistle. They needed a late winner from Kyle Lafferty when the champs were toiling and looking certain to drop points.

But Johnston still left Ibrox certain all is well within the Light Blue ranks.

The former Scotland striker saw a group of players who are close-knit and united and he reckon it's down to gaffer McCoist.

Mojo said: "Ally's been different class and Rangers have only lost one game in the SPL.

"The European run didn't happen, but for me that comes down to the lack of money.

"No one can expect any club to compete in Europe without any cash. The expectations at that level cannot be as big as they are in terms of the SPL title.

"But when you look at what Coisty has done so far it's fantastic.

"The thing which struck me on Saturday was they are all together. The lads are united.

"That's the way it was when I was a Rangers player.

"Coisty played and trained with a smile on his face because it was a happy place to be and it looked to me like old times.

"He did a fantastic job as a player and he's doing another great job as a manager.

"Inverness was a tough game for Rangers.

"I thought the tipping point was going to be after big Kyle Lafferty failed to square it to Jelavic.

"Rangers were 1-0 up at the time, but he put it wide.

"From there Inverness came into their own. They scored a very good goal, had another one disallowed and missed a few great chances.

"Rangers could quite easily have lost. But I always say good teams find a way to win and Rangers did that."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4009292/I-cant-wait-for-the-Old-Firm-battle.html#ixzz1h1uKBzv9

I've always quite liked MoJo.

He played for us at a time when i knew nothing about the religious aspect of the old firm, and i just liked him because he scored goals for Rangers.

Come to think of it probably raised a few eyebrows when i was a wee boy was running about in a Rangers top pretending to be MoJo!

Surprised he never commented on his fuckin thread in here ffs :blush:

He asked me to come on to RM and ask derek1872, "why do you and your pals rattle on about anti-catholic bigotry, when I haven't been able to safely walk the streets of Glasgow since the day I signed for the most successful club in the world".

He added, "what kind of Republican filth sends an ex Rangers player death threats if he dares to turn up for a "legends" CHARITY game, just because the hatred for RFC seeps out of their pores?"

I just had to shake my head, and tell him that no one will ever understand the disturbed brain of your average sectarian fuckpig.

I've always quite liked MoJo.

He played for us at a time when i knew nothing about the religious aspect of the old firm, and i just liked him because he scored goals for Rangers.

Come to think of it probably raised a few eyebrows when i was a wee boy was running about in a Rangers top pretending to be MoJo!

I remember that day as clear as crystal and still find it hard to believe what happened.I had just got back from Scotland where I saw us win at the piggery for the first time in almost 10 years and then I see MoJo sitting in a press conference with Billy McNeill stating "Celtic are the only club I want to play for"...A couple of days later he is sitting beside David Holmes and Graeme Souness with a Rangers scarf around his neck :blush:

I swore off the booze after I saw that because I thought I had got a dose of the fucking DT's and was going doolally. doh

Who said money doesn't talk?????? :pipe:

BTW! It's quite interesting to compare his goal tally for us in the league against his record for the scum.

Ra filth ...Played 140...goals scored 52

Rangers...played 100...goals 46

He asked me to come on to RM and ask derek1872, "why do you and your pals rattle on about anti-catholic bigotry, when I haven't been able to safely walk the streets of Glasgow since the day I signed for the most successful club in the world".

He added, "what kind of Republican filth sends an ex Rangers player death threats if he dares to turn up for a "legends" CHARITY game, just because the hatred for RFC seeps out of their pores?"

I just had to shake my head, and tell him that no one will ever understand the disturbed brain of your average sectarian fuckpig.

Thanks for passing this on. Can you please let him know I think its disgusting the bigoted hatred shown in the past from both sides. I wish him well in the future. A true legend which is probably why he was invited to the legends event.

Its always good to welcome back a Rangers legend, one, if I may add, almost single handedly won us 9 in a row. one that also brought down a bigoted and racist barrier. We are better for having wee mo in our lives. And I for one will be eternally grateful.

Its always good to welcome back a Rangers legend, one, if I may add, almost single handedly won us 9 in a row. one that also brought down a bigoted and racist barrier. We are better for having wee mo in our lives. And I for one will be eternally grateful.

I was wrong about you Dennis. It takes a big man to admit when he was wrong. Seeing the error of your ways and moving on makes you a top man in my book.

MO JOHNSTON was welcomed back to Ibrox with open arms.

When he watches next week's Old Firm game at Parkhead he also hopes for a good reception — on his TV.

Johnston has returned to Glasgow from Canada to see friends and family over Christmas.

And Mojo took the opportunity to see Rangers beat Caley Thistle 2-1 last Saturday and even did the half-time draw.

But it's hard to imagine Johnston, 48, setting foot inside Parkhead again never mind being applauded by Celtic fans.

Johnston — who stunned the football world by joining Gers in 1989 after looking like he was returning to Celtic — said: "It was good to be back at Ibrox.

"I caught up with Ally McCoist, Kenny McDowall and Ian Durrant in the manager's office.

"I did the half-time draw and got a great reception from the Rangers supporters. The fans were brilliant and I had a terrific day.

"I speak to Coisty every now and again and I came back this time last year and went along to Murray Park to see the boys training.

"I had a good blether with Walter Smith last year before going upstairs for a wee bit of scran.

"It's always good to come back. But it was strange drinking tea with him in his office — it wasn't tea 20 years ago I can promise you!

"I'm back in Scotland until January 6.

"But I've made a conscious decision to stay at home for the Old Firm game and just watch it on TV."

Johnston laughs at the idea of going back to the ground where he was once adored.

But he insists it will be a serious business when Celtic host leaders Rangers next Wednesday night.

He added: "It's going to be a massive game. If Celtic win it's game-on again.

"If Rangers win they could go seven points clear again. I know they both have games this weekend, but I expect them both to win their matches going into the big one next week.

"Celtic are playing some great stuff at the moment and scoring goals. I thought they were terrific against Udinese.

"They could easily have come away with the victory for the way they played, let alone the penalty they should have got for handball.

"If they can beat Rangers they will believe they can win the title.

"It's a match of huge magnitude because if Rangers win the championship really swings their way. The difference between winning and losing is massive.

"Speaking to Coisty, I think he's looking forward to it — but then he always thrived on this type of occasion.

"If you look at Coisty's record he scored in big games. The only thing is he's not playing any more.

"Rangers will need to be careful with the boy Gary Hooper up front for Celtic.

"He's been scoring very well and taking his chances. Anthony Stokes is another who is capable of finding the net.

"Celtic's midfield is also fairly good and it will be a very interesting game."

Rangers were far from convincing against Caley Thistle. They needed a late winner from Kyle Lafferty when the champs were toiling and looking certain to drop points.

But Johnston still left Ibrox certain all is well within the Light Blue ranks.

The former Scotland striker saw a group of players who are close-knit and united and he reckon it's down to gaffer McCoist.

Mojo said: "Ally's been different class and Rangers have only lost one game in the SPL.

"The European run didn't happen, but for me that comes down to the lack of money.

"No one can expect any club to compete in Europe without any cash. The expectations at that level cannot be as big as they are in terms of the SPL title.

"But when you look at what Coisty has done so far it's fantastic.

"The thing which struck me on Saturday was they are all together. The lads are united.

"That's the way it was when I was a Rangers player.

"Coisty played and trained with a smile on his face because it was a happy place to be and it looked to me like old times.

"He did a fantastic job as a player and he's doing another great job as a manager.

"Inverness was a tough game for Rangers.

"I thought the tipping point was going to be after big Kyle Lafferty failed to square it to Jelavic.

"Rangers were 1-0 up at the time, but he put it wide.

"From there Inverness came into their own. They scored a very good goal, had another one disallowed and missed a few great chances.

"Rangers could quite easily have lost. But I always say good teams find a way to win and Rangers did that."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/4009292/I-cant-wait-for-the-Old-Firm-battle.html#ixzz1h1uKBzv9

That will REALLY annoy the tims :pipe: