Bartley at right back..

McCoist72

Could Bartley be an accomplished right back given time?

I don't think Whittaker or Broadfoot are good enough to be honest but I think Bartley would be good in that roll and he did well there against Motherwell.

He can defend, he is a strong guy and he has pace.

Our biggest problem in recent months has been a lack of pace and with Wallace and Aluko providing pace on both wings, Bartley on the right in attack just adds more pace.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No. McMillan should be in there for now, but we definetely need a new right back.

I would play McMillan at right back as well but I just don't see Ally playing him as things stand.

But, right back is definitely a position to look at at this moment in time.

I would play McMillan at right back as well but I just don't see Ally playing him as things stand.

But, right back is definitely a position to look at at this moment in time.

I agree, i am sick of us shoe-horing players into unfamiliar positions, also i dont rate big Kyle as much as some of our fans do. Vastly over-rated on here. Maybe Ally has been told if he wanted Kyle he had to play him? Somewhere, anywhere. Has he been on the bench yet when he has been fit?

It's something he'd need to get used to and I'm not sure we can afford him that time.

Totally agree. He drifted inside a lot, & as another poster said, most trouble came down his side & he didn't get forward all that much. Whittaker's attacking side's been woeful this year (Hertz apart), kirk's lost whatever he had in that sense, we don't need another

Bartley looked out of place at Right back for me - and I do understand it was his first game - but he is a loan player and I was dissapointed that if we needed cover there that McMillian did not start there. However I am happy with either Whittaker or Broadfoot in that position and one thing Whittaker does have is pace. So its no thanks for Bartley at RB.

Bartley is not a right back, or a midfielder. He should be 4the pick centre back if Weir leaves and 5the pick if he doesn't. Or better still send him back to Arsenal, they have defence problems. Ah right, they would never consider him either. He has height and long legs but not much else. He is far too impetuous. He was better than nothing before We signed Goian, Boca and Weir this season but just clogs up the squad now as it seems to be in his loan deal that he plays when fit.

I thought there was less trouble down the right back area with Bartley than there has been with Whittaker or broadfoot.

But you could counter that with the fact there was less trouble in general, I actually thought Higdon caused the most problems by winning every high ball against bocanegra.

Bartley is no right back though and I agree with the calls for McMillan, round peg round hole and all that

Players have always been moved into different positions, some of them very successfully.

Our ECWC winning team had a world class right back who had played just about every position on the park before that.

That team also had one of our greatest centre forwards playing centre half, and silky midfielder Davie Smith playing sweeper, which was his best position...and where he later won Scottish POTY.

John Greig would in later years convert to LB, and Derek Parlane who replaced Greig in midfield for the semi final at Ibrox against Bayern, would become an accomplished striker with the Gers.

It's not always a bad things for players to be tried in different positions than the one they/we think they are best in.

I agree, i am sick of us shoe-horing players into unfamiliar positions, also i dont rate big Kyle as much as some of our fans do. Vastly over-rated on here. Maybe Ally has been told if he wanted Kyle he had to play him? Somewhere, anywhere. Has he been on the bench yet when he has been fit?

I'm guilty of that, I think he's going to be a tremendous player. He's got a fair bit to learn, and although I liked him winding up broonaldo in the tunnel, he needs to keep a lid on it in the game a bit. He's not a natural right back, but I think he did quite well on Monday, both defensively and as an outlet for playing from the back when McGregor had the ball in hand.

It's a shame to see our own young players overlooked for a loan player though, particularly in McMillan's natural position.

Monday's game against Motherwell was tailor made for Whittaker.

They barely attacked us and having his attacking nous from right back would have helped.

Perhaps Bartley did a really good job and we just didn't notice it though.

In what way is Bartley vastly over rated on here, iv read it in this thread yet have still to see anyone doing so, remember he was out for a while and last season did a turn but I don't think anyone is saying he's the dogs danglies, certainly able

AS i HAVE said befor play papac and wallace at full backs i know they are two left backs, but its not much different at the end of the day dennis irwin was a class left back for man utd where he played 99% of his career and he was a natural rb and played their for ROI