New Rangers book project

duncan1957

After two and a half years of work, I finally got my book “It’s off to the match I go”, into print and out to the big wide world, hopefully to be enjoyed by the great Rangers support ... copies still available!

I’ve got itchy typing fingers again and decided to embark on a new project. Having read and enjoyed Helicopter Sunday (Iain Stewart) and Manchester Brace yourself (Brent MacFarlane), I am considering a book of that style i.e. stories, anecdotes and memories from Rangers fans.

My plan is to compile a compilation of memories of supporters favourite games, and to do that I need contributions.

The initial problem will probably be that 90% of contributions will be from Cup Finals and Celtic triumphs, so I’m looking for alternative games, ones that have quirky moments or personal connotations. Ideally from as big a span as possible, I’m sure there must be supporters from the 50s and 60s who have stories to tell, as well as the more modern fan.

Anyway, anyone who fancies being part of this get in touch, either by PM here, or at the e-mail I’ve set up. rangers_memories@hotmail.co.uk

It’s really just an idea at the moment, and I can’t do it without your help.

Apologies if anyone has already had this idea, but hey ... we can’t have enough Rangers books out there.

My intention is to donate 100% of all proceeds to the Scottish War Blind Linburn Centre.

If anyone has any questions, comments etc then fire in.

www.its-off-to-the-match.co.uk

How many words are you looking at for a story?

I should have thought about that before posting, it was a kind of a spur of the moment thing.

I would intent putting in an introduction to each section, decade, or era, sfter that it would be up to contributions.

My Its off to the match I go book had about 330 pages, roughly 100,000 words, which was a nice size I think.

Contributions of anywhere up to 1000 words would seem okay, about three pages. But smaller sharp and short memories would be fine, if its a good story then could be longer ... its really a developing idea at the moment.

That format would allow for at between 100 and 150 contributions.

Hope that helps.

I'm really catching up on a lot of Rangers reading these days, and the one I'm on at the moment is most enjoyable (21st Century Blue by David Edgar). Have to say though the spelling/grammatical and other errors are annoying, spotted 3 after as many chapters.

I noticed a few in your book mate. I hope you get someone to proof-read your next one as it tends to spoil it a wee bit!

Look forward to it and having just read 'Still Seeing Red' on Third Lanark hope we're still going strong by the time it comes out, and there's no sense of melancholy.

I'm really catching up on a lot of Rangers reading these days, and the one I'm on at the moment is most enjoyable (21st Century Blue by David Edgar). Have to say though the spelling/grammatical and other errors are annoying, spotted 3 after as many chapters.

I noticed a few in your book mate. I hope you get someone to proof-read your next one as it tends to spoil it a wee bit!

Look forward to it and having just read 'Still Seeing Red' on Third Lanark hope we're still going strong by the time it comes out, and there's no sense of melancholy.

I did get it proof read, but no matter how hard you look the odd mistake does creep in ... must try harder!

After two and a half years of work, I finally got my book “It’s off to the match I go”, into print and out to the big wide world, hopefully to be enjoyed by the great Rangers support ... copies still available!

I’ve got itchy typing fingers again and decided to embark on a new project. Having read and enjoyed Helicopter Sunday (Iain Stewart) and Manchester Brace yourself (Brent MacFarlane), I am considering a book of that style i.e. stories, anecdotes and memories from Rangers fans.

My plan is to compile a compilation of memories of supporters favourite games, and to do that I need contributions.

The initial problem will probably be that 90% of contributions will be from Cup Finals and Celtic triumphs, so I’m looking for alternative games, ones that have quirky moments or personal connotations. Ideally from as big a span as possible, I’m sure there must be supporters from the 50s and 60s who have stories to tell, as well as the more modern fan.

Anyway, anyone who fancies being part of this get in touch, either by PM here, or at the e-mail I’ve set up. rangers_memories@hotmail.co.uk

It’s really just an idea at the moment, and I can’t do it without your help.

Apologies if anyone has already had this idea, but hey ... we can’t have enough Rangers books out there.

My intention is to donate 100% of all proceeds to the Scottish War Blind Linburn Centre.

If anyone has any questions, comments etc then fire in.

www.its-off-to-the-match.co.uk

Quick bump for the RM Nightshift, just to try and get the ball rolling.

I did some of my best writing when on nights.

I just got a message from someone who said that they'd like to submit a story, but they weren't sure if their writing style would be okay, or good enough.

Dont worry about that, its the memories and stories we need. ... everyone has a good story about the Rangers :21:

I'll update progress on the Rangers memories page on www.its-off-to-the-match.co.uk

Oh Oh....20 pager coming :)

I've got shit loads of cracking anecdotes and whilst in Hamburg a few of us were discussing putting them into print

Do you want photographs as well?

Fire in your stories: rangers_memories@hotmail.co.uk , or PM here.

I intend having about half a dozen pages of colour photos in the book, stuff that will illustrate what the book is about.

So yes, looking for photos as well, space will be limited though. I've had some really cracking stories in already, getting quite excited about this project now.

If however, you are serious about doing your own book, than use your stories there.

Writing is a bit tricky at first. but once you get into the flow its easy, and memories start to flood out. I'm sure you have a book in you!

If I can do it ( Its off to the match I go, www.its-off-to-the-match.co.uk) then anyone can ... see what I did there :lol:

There can never be enough books on the Rangers

I may be interested in contributing a memory also. Similar to Madina I'd be interested in knowing any cut off dates etc so I could try get it to you asap mate.

There is no cut off point or deadline at the moment, to be honest I only really thought of the idea a few days ago, so I'm still trying to pull it all together.

So far I've had about a dozen contributions ... and some of them are absolute crackers. But I'm going to need a lot more, to get a good spread of the years and to let the book flow, rather than just be a bundle of unrelated stories. Thats why the little ones, a paragraph or two on favourite players, snippets from games are most useful.

So basically, at the moment, take your time and make sure you are happy with what you write. Thats how I'm taking it just now, I want to get this right, to produce something that we can all enjoy.

I'm generally next to the blue gates, at the Copland Road end on match days, from 2.30, so if anyone fancies a chat about the project feel free ... just look for the yellow and black trackie top. :D

I've added a RANGERS MEMORIES page to www.its-off-to-the-match.co.uk , and will try to update that as often as possible.