A Question for the Historians

TheMotor

Bored silly today, I was having a wee dig around in the old Herald archives, looking for match reports from the early days, when I found this report for a match played on 7/10/1876:

2nd Eleven Rose (a Lenzie team, I think) vs 2nd Eleven Rangers - Played on the Rangers ground at Langlands, and resulted in a draw - neither side obtaining a goal.

Does anyone know if this was a one-off game at that pitch, and where is Langlands? Would it be at Elder Park?

The report surprised me a wee bit as I know we were already playing at Kinning Park by then. Would be great to know a bit more if anyone has any ideas.

Weren't the 2nd or reserve team called "The Swifts" back then ?

I think that might be a bit early for them to be known as that. The reserve league didn't start for another couple of decades or so. Maybe someone else knows exactly when the name came about.

The Swifts played in red and black stripes.

The first team beat Northern 3-0 in a friendly on the same day at Kinning Park.

Sorry it doesn't answer any of your questions, but that's all I can find.

That sounds like a good possibility, cheers. Typical Herald: report on the reserves but nothing on the first team.

I reckon Langlands must refer to Elder Park but I can't find a decent map of the period to confirm whether the park was set out yet.

That sounds like a good possibility, cheers. Typical Herald: report on the reserves but nothing on the first team.

I reckon Langlands must refer to Elder Park but I can't find a decent map of the period to confirm whether the park was set out yet.

Until very recently there was a football pitch in Langlands Road called Pirie Park. No idea if it existed back then. There was also the local playing fields in the area, the "Fifty Pitches". Again, I don't know if they were there then.

Until very recently there was a football pitch in Langlands Road called Pirie Park. No idea if it existed back then. There was also the local playing fields in the area, the "Fifty Pitches". Again, I don't know if they were there then.

is pirie park not still there? fifty pitches were further away nearer cardonald area

linthouse fc formed in 1881 played there matches at langlands park linthouse till they broke up in 1900

elder park is of course in the linthouse area, but im sure its always been elder park, so perhaps langlands park was elsewhere

def an interesting one

If you mean the old Dillons garage, it is. I passed it only this afternoon.

It was dfinately called Langlands Motors although that was 20 year ago

( you already mentioned the Pirie Park school , beat me to it :P )

linthouse fc formed in 1881 played there matches at langlands park linthouse till they broke up in 1900

elder park is of course in the linthouse area, but im sure its always been elder park, so perhaps langlands park was elsewhere

def an interesting one

I've a wee suspicion that it may have been where Elder Park stands but wasn't yet a formal park; it may just have been a flat, grassy area beside an already existing langlands road. It would have been borderline countryside/grazing at the time, I think.

Interesting wee snippet about Linthouse. The report just says Langlands, not Park, but every map I can find seems to stop just at the wrong point.

I've a wee suspicion that it may have been where Elder Park stands but wasn't yet a formal park; it may just have been a flat, grassy area beside an already existing langlands road. It would have been borderline countryside/grazing at the time, I think.

Interesting wee snippet about Linthouse. The report just says Langlands, not Park, but every map I can find seems to stop just at the wrong point.

wikipedia linthouse fc mate, that may help a bit, def states there home as langlands park

note how they got a 4000 attendance against celtic

I had to leave at half time. We were going over to the soup kitchens that afternoon to make sure the catholics didn't get in.

Quality comment man.

I thought we played our first match in Glasgow Green,moved here and there.

Re.kafoliks and soup kitchens,I thought they were all over the east end.