Arsenal FC - Fan donations?

kanjo

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Manchester Utd have shamelessly traded off the back of the Munich Disaster for over 50 years. That, as much as anything they achieved on the pitch, is why they are the worldwide force they are.

Arsenal are consistently Englands biggest club over the history of English football. Not the most succesful perhaps, but the most consistent.

After your humiliation of shamelessly backing Whyte even when he had been found out makes it no surprise you would spout shite like that. Your opinion these days is held in as much asteem as Whytes and Murrays. Im glad you were the guy backing that other idiot. Two peas in a pod.

After your humiliation of shamelessly backing Whyte even when he had been found out makes it no surprise you would spout shite like that. Your opinion these days is held in as much asteem as Whytes and Murrays. Im glad you were the guy backing that other idiot. Two peas in a pod.

Go read a book and learn something. (tu)

Obviously clueless about (a) the concepts of irony, & (b) the history of our game.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some humble pie to eat for my breakfast. :rolleyes:

Go read a book and learn something. (tu)

Obviously clueless about (a) the concepts of irony, & (b) the history of our game.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some humble pie to eat for my breakfast. :rolleyes:

Irony :lol:

Not sure what the history of "our" game has to do with the munich disaster being the reason for Man U becoming England biggest club. Or how they shamelessly trade of it (Disgusting comment).

Do you have any book in particular to recommend or just any book?

Enjoy that humble pie. I bet its tastes bitter!

This is ridiculous. I'm English. I grew up during the 1970s and 1980s ... Manchester United was the biggest club in the country.

Liverpool won major 24 honours in those 2 decades. Manchester United won 4. I realise a club is not big only based on success but surely as a result of this success Liverpool would have a much higher turnover, a stronger following and a higher profile???

Not sure what the history of "our" game has to do with the munich disaster being the reason for Man U becoming England biggest club. Or how they shamelessly trade of it (Disgusting comment).

Do you have any book in particular to recommend or just any book?

I'd be happy to help with your education if I thought you would comprehend any of it, but as you're still "offended" by my factual comment regarding Man Utd trading off the Munich crash, I think there's little point.

I suggest any of the "Mr Men" books may be of some benefit. (tu):pipe:

I'd be happy to help with your education if I thought you would comprehend any of it, but as you're still "offended" by my factual comment regarding Man Utd trading off the Munich crash, I think there's little point.

I suggest any of the "Mr Men" books may be of some benefit. (tu):pipe:

I like the Mr Men books. I read them to my daughter. Good tip!

Yes im looking for an education on your factual claim please enlighten me.

Liverpool won major 24 honours in those 2 decades. Manchester United won 4. I realise a club is not big only based on success but surely as a result of this success Liverpool would have a much higher turnover, a stronger following and a higher profile???

No, Manchester United always had the stronger following in the 1970s and 1980s, biggest crowds and so on ... that's a matter of public record.

He's entitled to his opinion; just because you don't agree with doesn't mean it's wrong. What makes Manchester United so special, certainly more special than Liverpool: people like romantic tales of coming back from the brink and so on; is it beyond the realms of possibility that the affection of many towards Manchester United is maybe based on that aspect of their history?

No, Manchester United always had the stronger following in the 1970s and 1980s, biggest crowds and so on ... that's a matter of public record.

I checked the figures. You are right, Man Utd had biggest average attendances in 70s and 80s with the exception of 4 years where Liverpool had them.

So are we saying biggest attendances = biggest club? Surely it should be a combination of things.

I checked the figures. You are right, Man Utd had biggest average attendances in 70s and 80s with the exception of 4 years where Liverpool had them.

So are we saying biggest attendances = biggest club? Surely it should be a combination of things.

No, biggest attendances doesn't necessarily mean the biggest club, but fanbase and attendances is certainly a major factor. And I obviously contend that the Munich Disaster is another major factor when it comes to Manchester United ... it's a story of tragedy and subsequent triumph that gives Manchester United that sentimental appeal.

Can I ask what turned this OP thread into a debate about Man Utd? :sherlock:

That would be my fault. I would say Mae culpa, but Latin doesn't go down too well around here. I made what I thought was an inoffensive comment about Arsenal being England's classiest club. I think it's on page three ... might be page two. Anyway, aside from the usual Taig and Tarrier labels being bandied about, it's been an interesting debate.

No, biggest attendances doesn't necessarily mean the biggest club, but fanbase and attendances is certainly a major factor. And I obviously contend that the Munich Disaster is another major factor when it comes to Manchester United ... it's a story of tragedy and subsequent triumph that gives Manchester United that sentimental appeal.

I agree. The appeal wouldn't be there without the subsequent triumph of course

That would be my fault. I would say Mae culpa, but Latin doesn't go down too well around here. I made what I thought was an inoffensive comment about Arsenal being England's classiest club. I think it's on page three ... might be page two. Anyway, aside from the usual Taig and Tarrier labels being bandied about, it's been an interesting debate.

Agreed again, an interesting debate. I am very fond of arsenal as a club. Would like to have a relationship between our clubs

He's entitled to his opinion; just because you don't agree with doesn't mean it's wrong. What makes Manchester United so special, certainly more special than Liverpool: people like romantic tales of coming back from the brink and so on; is it beyond the realms of possibility that the affection of many towards Manchester United is maybe based on that aspect of their history?

But he was wrong on this occasion. Im sure 99% would agree now. I disagree that Man U are more special than Man u. They are just as big in their own rights. I strongly disagree any of them are bigger than Arsenal because of the tradegies they face. Just as we arent bigger than Celtic becuae of ours.

I can't argue with that logic. And I'm not even going to try.

To quote you: "What an embarrassment of a post".

I meant bigger than Liverpool. Picking up on typos and spelling mistakes is the biggeet sign of a lost argument.

If this is true, then they would become my favourite English team !!! :praise:

They're already mine and have been for a long time. It wouldn't surprise me if they did do something like this, it's the sort of classy thing you associate with "The Arsenal".

The two clubs appear to have had a good relationship over the years, my dad has often told me how we used to play friendlies against each other each season until the late sixties, and I remember how welcome they made us at Nigel Winterburn's testimonal (in 1997?)- and of course loaning us Kyle B for the past two seasons as well!

Only hope it's true as whatever the amount they may or may not raise, it will be nice to think that we're not alone in our struggle - lets face it we aren't getting much help from our "neighbours" in Scotland are we?

But he was wrong on this occasion. Im sure 99% would agree now.

Interesting. How did you reach that conclusion? 99% would agree?

Here's the thing..........unpalatable as it may be. The difference between clubs in Britain that have had terrible tragedies.........ourselves, Liverpool, Bradford, Manchester United, is quite obvious. In three of those tragedies, the three which claimed the most lives, Ibrox, Valley Parade & Hillsborough, the victims were (and this is where it becomes distasteful, but factual all the same) only spectators. In the case of the Munich Disaster, there were loads of household names (at the time) killed. The names of the tragic Manchester United players were given worldwide coverage, the sort of thing that will get worldwide sympathy. No one persons life or death is more important than another, except in the eyes of the media, its how these things are reported that changes peoples perceptions.

In the cold light of day, I don't think Rangers, Liverpool or Bradford ever atracted more fans on the back of our tragedies, whereas the more famous victims of the Munich Disaster got greater atention & worldwide sympthy & tacit support for MUFC, which they have milked.

There endeth the lesson for today.

Interesting. How did you reach that conclusion? 99% would agree?

Here's the thing..........unpalatable as it may be. The difference between clubs in Britain that have had terrible tragedies.........ourselves, Liverpool, Bradford, Manchester United, is quite obvious. In three of those tragedies, the three which claimed the most lives, Ibrox, Valley Parade & Hillsborough, the victims were (and this is where it becomes distasteful, but factual all the same) only spectators. In the case of the Munich Disaster, there were loads of household names (at the time) killed. The names of the tragic Manchester United players were given worldwide coverage, the sort of thing that will get worldwide sympathy. No one persons life or death is more important than another, except in the eyes of the media, its how these things are reported that changes peoples perceptions.

In the cold light of day, I don't think Rangers, Liverpool or Bradford ever atracted more fans on the back of our tragedies, whereas the more famous victims of the Munich Disaster got greater atention & worldwide sympthy & tacit support for MUFC, which they have milked.

There endeth the lesson for today.

My post was in regard to you being wrong about whyte. However this holocaust of a post is right up there with the shite you spouted about whyte. Total nonsense!

My post was in regard to you being wrong about whyte. However this holocaust of a post is right up there with the shite you spouted about whyte. Total nonsense!

I actually think there's a fair amount of logic behind it to be fair. He's right, more attention gets paid to 'famous' people, aka. Footballers dieing than regular folk. Look at the outpouring of grief over Gary Speed as opposed to the many who kill themselves every day.

I do think he's over the top with the idea that they 'milk it' though. They pay respect, as all other clubs would. It does make a good story for the media. Redemption. The comeback. Etc etc. I'd suggest if anyone milled it, it would be them

cant see there fans helping us out tbh,infact i reckon the chelsea fans would be more likley to offer help.

Though i believe we are big enough to come out of this without there help,pretty sure any contributions from any of there fans would not be much anyway.