Campaign to have WW2 titles recognised.

Don't see why people are asking this thread to be locked, what is the point in a forum if people can't debate?

I've read a couple of great posts in this thread, I suspect I'll read some more.

Not locking it though unless it gets out of hand.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe now is the right time to campaign to have the WW2 titles recognised, given that full participation took place with all the big teams and full seasons.

There are a number of justifications:

Full Seasons

Full participation

Aberdeen and Hibs quote their honours as official during this period - Rangers don't - this is key in the arguments

Celtics WW1 titles stand - another injustice - in England WW1 titles are not counted

Actually 7 full leagues were played during WW2

1939-40

Division 1 (this is only short campaign)

Rangers 1st, Celtic 4th when it finished

Full Campaign

Rangers 1st, Celtic 13th

War cup - Rangers winners

1940-41 League

Rangers 1st, Celtic 5th

League Cup - Rangers Winners

1941-42 League

Rangers 1st, Celtic 3rd

League Cup - Rangers Winners

1942-43 League

Rangers 1st, Celtic 10th

League Cup Winners - Rangers

1943-44 League

Rangers 1st, Celtic 2nd

League Cup Winners - Hibs beat us 6-5 on corners, included in their honours

1944-45 League

Rangers 1st, Celtic 2nd

League Cup Winners - Rangers

1945-46 League

Rangers 1st, Celtic 4th

League Cup Winners - Aberdeen, included in their honours

There seems no justification for these other clubs including honours and ours not standing, as well as Celtic including theirs for WW1.

As well as winning 7 titles we also won 5 cups, 4 league cups and a war cup.

In total we have been denied 12 trophies in total!

With all the talk of us losing trophies - we should have these 12 included in our honours. Others have - Hibs and Aberdeen.

The worst should be Celtic stripped of their WW1 titles but tbh it would be fairer just to include our 12. The main justification for taking their titles is that in England, these were suspended during WW1 - why should they have these. It's totally biased and wrong, not just morally but factually.

Sporting integrity would demand that these titles should be added. If Aberdeen and Hibs include in their honours then there is no reason why we don't include in ours.

Unveil the 6th star! :uk: :uk: :uk: :uk: :uk: :uk:

61 and counting.

Rangers 8 Celtic 1.

We welcome the chase.

Great Info M8..well done, you learn something every day :clap:

Don't see why people are asking this thread to be locked, what is the point in a forum if people can't debate?

I've read a couple of great posts in this thread, I suspect I'll read some more.

Not locking it though unless it gets out of hand.

Thanks for not locking it.

Missed it before

I only just read it and I've been educated.

Maybe we should campaign to get these titles accredited to us officially, SFA records etc.

But then out of respect, and class, never "officially" count them as part of our totals.

No 6th star etc.

How much would it hurt the darkside knowing that anytime we wanted, we could stick them up there beside the other 54, 55, 56.......

Maybe we should campaign to get these titles accredited to us officially, SFA records etc.

But then out of respect, and class, never "officially" count them as part of our totals.

No 6th star etc.

How much would it hurt the darkside knowing that anytime we wanted, we could stick them up there beside the other 54, 55, 56.......

What are you talking about?

Where is the respect and class in pulling titles out the bag when it suits us?

If they were to be recorded officially there would be no way to deny them and "never "officially" count them".

Was it not Rangers who choose to not have them officially recorded due to those being away fighting the War?

No, it was nothing to do with Rangers. The official league was suspended in 1939 due to the war but the clubs were allowed to arrange it among themselves with no governing body to 'officially' oversee or record anything during this period.

What's the pride in claiming titles when every fit man from 18 to 60 was away dying in a war that they didn't have a choice if they wanted to play or not.

And those in WW1 were not?

Septic have the titles they won (1914, 1915, 1916, 1917)included in Their records why should we NOT claim ours?

That is the problem we do not Fight back this has been the problem with Rangers in the past. You can bet your House that if it was the other way round The Mhanky Mob would have had this sorted by their PR team YEARS Ago!

I have NOTHING but admiration for those that went and Fought for their Country no matter what team they played for,supported etc. But the Facts are there were Men left on this side of the water, many doing important jobs for the cause and if they played on a Saturday then fair play to them!

As for the age bracket you quote for fit fighting men I do not know if that is fact or not (But I have no reason to doubt you)so you are putting an age limit on the age you have to be to play in top flight football.....We better tell Pele that at 17 he has to give back his World Cup Medal won in Sweden in 1958.....or perhaps we should be stripped of the titles that Davie Weir won with us!!

What's the pride in claiming titles when every fit man from 18 to 60 was away dying in a war that they didn't have a choice if they wanted to play or not.

As many of the armed forces died in WW1 as died in WW2 the big difference is there were as many civilians killed during the second one as there were military ... don't really see why titles from one world war should be official while titles from the other one aren't

And those in WW1 were not?

Septic have the titles they won (1914, 1915, 1916, 1917)included in Their records why should we NOT claim ours?

That is the problem we do not Fight back this has been the problem with Rangers in the past. You can bet your House that if it was the other way round The Mhanky Mob would have had this sorted by their PR team YEARS Ago!

I have NOTHING but admiration for those that went and Fought for their Country no matter what team they played for,supported etc. But the Facts are there were Men left on this side of the water, many doing important jobs for the cause and if they played on a Saturday then fair play to them!

As for the age bracket you quote for fit fighting men I do not know if that is fact or not (But I have no reason to doubt you)so you are putting an age limit on the age you have to be to play in top flight football.....We better tell Pele that at 17 he has to give back his World Cup Medal won in Sweden in 1958.....or perhaps we should be stripped of the titles that Davie Weir won with us!!

Obviously not read the whole thread. The league was suspended during WWII but not during WW1. It doesn't matter that certain other cretinous teams 'claim' things won during WWII the fact is they don't count.

I've got to ask, when did we start measuring what we do against what the manky mob do?

We've worked our way to the world's most successful club whilst marking our respect to the war dead, and even if we're not by the time we make our way back to the top, we'll work our way back to that title again.

Who cares if Celtic don't do the same?

a dont know much about ww2 titles... but if teams wer relagated and promoted then they should count if not then they shoudnt... thats my take on it anyway. a may very well check that out tomorow.lol