Pele at it again ...

Sobatai

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too young to know this, but was Pele better than Neymar? I have seen film of Pele and I just don't get the hype. Please someone, enlighten me on why he in particular was so special. The Brazil player of that period, again I can only go on what I've seen on Youtube, that really impressed me was Garrincha.

Pele was sheer genius - that is undisputable. He also had the fortune to be surrounded by truly world-class team-mates.

There is a myth that Cruyff boycotted the 78 World cup as a political statement against the Argentinian junta.The truth is he stayed at home because his family were subjected to a violent robbery in his Barcelona apartment a few months before the tournament and rightfully he did not want to part from his loved ones.He was one of the true greats of world football.

Was there not also something about death threats in 78 as well?

Anyway, it's really sad he never made it to that World Cup because with him they would have won :(

Was there not also something about death threats in 78 as well?

Anyway, it's really sad he never made it to that World Cup because with him they would have won :(

I dont know about that mate, but the robbery was very violent and traumatising,his family had guns put to their heads.

Argentina legend Diego Maradona has called Brazilian counterpart Pele "stupid" for suggesting that Barcelona star Lionel Messi is not as good as Santos starlet Neymar.

"Maybe Neymar is the best player in the world, but only if you say that Messi is from a different planet," Maradona said.

Messi, 24, won the FIFA World Player of the Year award in 2009 and scooped the inaugural FIFA Ballon d'Or in 2010 and 2011, while rising-star Neymar, 20, landed FIFA's Puskas Award for the best goal of 2011.

Despite Messi's raft of trophies and personal awards, Pele believes his countryman Neymar, who has won the Brazilian league and Copa Libertadores with his old club Santos, is the better player.

"Now everyone is talking about Messi; he is a star. But [to be the best ever] he must first become better than Neymar," Pele said. "At the moment Messi is just more experienced."

However, Maradona, who has traded insults with Pele on more than a few occasions, laughed off the claims. "My God, that is just stupid," Maradona said as he backed fellow Argentinian Messi.

There is a myth that Cruyff boycotted the 78 World cup as a political statement against the Argentinian junta.The truth is he stayed at home because his family were subjected to a violent robbery in his Barcelona apartment a few months before the tournament and rightfully he did not want to part from his loved ones.He was one of the true greats of world football.

Cruyff did, however, publicly claim that he joined Barcelona ahead of Real Madrid because he couldn't play for a club affiliated to Spanish dictator Francisco Franco. Very intelligent guy, Cruyff. Remember reading an article by Brian Glanville where he said Cruyff was fluent in five languages and would talk to you freely in any one of those languages, as long as it was "off the record" ... if you wanted it "on the record" you had to get your wallet out.

Argentina legend Diego Maradona has called Brazilian counterpart Pele "stupid" for suggesting that Barcelona star Lionel Messi is not as good as Santos starlet Neymar.

"Maybe Neymar is the best player in the world, but only if you say that Messi is from a different planet," Maradona said.

Messi, 24, won the FIFA World Player of the Year award in 2009 and scooped the inaugural FIFA Ballon d'Or in 2010 and 2011, while rising-star Neymar, 20, landed FIFA's Puskas Award for the best goal of 2011.

Despite Messi's raft of trophies and personal awards, Pele believes his countryman Neymar, who has won the Brazilian league and Copa Libertadores with his old club Santos, is the better player.

"Now everyone is talking about Messi; he is a star. But [to be the best ever] he must first become better than Neymar," Pele said. "At the moment Messi is just more experienced."

However, Maradona, who has traded insults with Pele on more than a few occasions, laughed off the claims. "My God, that is just stupid," Maradona said as he backed fellow Argentinian Messi.

Maradona is a fun guy ... brilliant, outlandish, preposterous and a little vulgar.

Too young to know this, but was Pele better than Neymar? I have seen film of Pele and I just don't get the hype. Please someone, enlighten me on why he in particular was so special. The Brazil player of that period, again I can only go on what I've seen on Youtube, that really impressed me was Garrincha.

pele scored over 1000 goals did he not

also was 18 when he played and scored at a world cup

messi is the best ever, neymar isnt even in the top 10 or 20 in the world currently imo

he is a brillant player no doubt but needs to play against better and bigger teams/defences

by 20 messi was tearing la liga apart f.f.s

oh and pele's a wanker