• John Brown
    • Grahame Souness
    • Willie Woodburn
    • Steven Naismith

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If my memory serves me correctly,that "foreigner" was a German who was going to kick lumps out of Baxter for taking the piss out of him (as Baxter was prone to do) but Harold was having none of it.

I only saw 'Big Ben' a few times leading up to his Sine Die, but to me he was a colossus of a man who could have knocked walls down to win a tackle (fairly) and when you get legends like Jock Shaw tell you that Woodburn had no peer in bravery, then that told you something about the man.

As an aside, I think Tiger Shaw would be up there with ANY lion hearted player ever to pull on the Blue shirt. My Uncle Jimmy still talks fondly of his old pal, Tiger Shaw as a 'true warrior'...and considering my Uncle Jimmy was a Celtic man, that's a high compliment. :pipe:

the game where Harold Davis chased the "Foreigner" was played at Ibrox on 16th September 1959, Rangers won 5-2 agg score 7-2

Armand Joseph Jurion of Anderlecht who wore glasses was the player who bolted, with big Harold in hot pursuit, Harold stopped in his tracks and burst out laughing, but who knows what would have happened if he could have caught him.

i was in the Main Stand with my father that night

the game where Harold Davis chased the "Foreigner" was played at Ibrox on 16th September 1959, Rangers won 5-2 agg score 7-2

Armand Joseph Jurion of Anderlecht who wore glasses was the player who bolted, with big Harold in hot pursuit, Harold stopped in his tracks and burst out laughing, but who knows what would have happened if he could have caught him.

That must have been amazing to see. Wish football was played the way it used to be played. Am too young to have seen any of the old school stuff. Wish the was more video footage of the right old games. Football like the old days will be lost forever within the next 25 years. :-(

dont confuse lionhearted with hard or dirty.....its to do with giving your all beyond the call irrespective of skill or build....many players have done that over the years but in my time supporting rangers it has to be Greig..he was not voted the greatest ever for no reason. :crabflute:

That indeed is the game I was talking about. I couldn't for the life of me remember the name of the player involved,but I was sure he was a German (not a German team) Jimmy Millar and Alex Scott scored inside the first 2 minutes and we thought we were going to win the European cup after that :rolleyes:

although he was a skinny guy Jim Bett was fearless--many times I saw him jump in amongst the hard as nails aberdeen pairing of willie miller and alex mcliesh and somehow emerge with the ball despite flying tackles everywhere he was a slightly built guy but wasnt scared to get in amongst the action.

I went for Gough with Brown my second choice. These two stuck out for me on many occasions, but the 92/93 season they were different class for me, especially in Europe. The opposition could have been lobbing bricks into our box and you could guarantee Gough would still be up to win the header. Bomber wasn't exactly built like a tank, but he made up for it with heart and a general toughness that made him so uncompromising. Neither were dirty players, just had a love for the club and played the way all fans expect a Ranger to play.