• John Brown
    • Grahame Souness
    • Willie Woodburn
    • Steven Naismith

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

after the thread on most skillful Players, i thought i would gauge the opinion on who was the hardest, most lion hearted players you have seen.

o.k. Jim Denny will get at least 1 vote.

but in my view, i would expect the top 3 to be.

John Greig

Stuart McCall.

Alex MacDonald.

feel free to nominate others

Lot of hard nuts there its like a prison list!!

Imagine all them in one team tims wouldnt turn up haha.

Souness - Ferguson - Bomber. For me.

It was a toss-up for me between those two, but went for Harold cos I remember him chasing a terrified foreigner around Ibrox while the game was still going on. Wish I'd seen Woodburn though! :praise:

If my memory serves me correctly,that "foreigner" was a German who was going to kick lumps out of Baxter for taking the piss out of him (as Baxter was prone to do) but Harold was having none of it.

I only saw 'Big Ben' a few times leading up to his Sine Die, but to me he was a colossus of a man who could have knocked walls down to win a tackle (fairly) and when you get legends like Jock Shaw tell you that Woodburn had no peer in bravery, then that told you something about the man.

As an aside, I think Tiger Shaw would be up there with ANY lion hearted player ever to pull on the Blue shirt. My Uncle Jimmy still talks fondly of his old pal, Tiger Shaw as a 'true warrior'...and considering my Uncle Jimmy was a Celtic man, that's a high compliment. :pipe:

Went for bomber. The guy would run through brick Walls for us, although surprised Terry butcher not on the list!

very remiss of me not to include Terry Butcher, i have tried to edit this to include him and Dado Prso, Jimmy Millar, Nacho Novo ,Graham Roberts (and perhaps more) but can,t seem to find the way to do this.

A few weird selections here? Although it might just be due to people's ages not seeing a lot of older players, cos I can't see why novo, buffel, Naismith etc are being brought up when you think of the likes of Gough, Bomber, Ferguson, Butcher etc.

For me, I'd say Goughy! Just cos he was a hard cunt but wasn't one for stepping the Mark!

Would have to go for Tom Forsyth. but i have been told by a relation who started watching Rangers in the 1930s that Harold Davis was on a different level to all others.

Good shout for Willie Henderson. Takes a lot of courage to want the ball when you know there are opposition players who sole aim is hurt you.Same goes for J Johnstone,G Best,E Gray,C Cooke etc... they were the really hard players.

Maybe not big and mean but Ally mccoist had the heart of a lion and would give his right leg for us. He gave the hardest of centre backs as tough a time as they were likely to ever get due to his hunger,determination, deadly finishing, impeccable timing and positioning and would put his head in front of any boot in order to score a goal for us. Nowadays he still shows the same strengths but from a different perspective.

Would have to go for Tom Forsyth. but i have been told by a relation who started watching Rangers in the 1930s that Harold Davis was on a different level to all others.

Good shout for Willie Henderson. Takes a lot of courage to want the ball when you know there are opposition players who sole aim is hurt you.Same goes for J Johnstone,G Best,E Gray,C Cooke etc... they were the really hard players.

Bobby Hope a good bluenose who played for WBA and Scotland.

Gregor Stevens lion hearted ffs.

That man was a psycho I remember watching him coming on as a sub at ibrox his first appearance after a lengthy ban within 10 mins he had flattened an opposition player with an off the ball ' punch '

He was a very lucky man the officials missed it

nobody messed with him on the pitch he was one of my childhood heroes

i mind at ibrox big stevens elbowing charlie nicholas in the face, that was an off the ball missed by everyone

give nicholas his due he just got on with it.

No doubt in my mind. Tam Forsyth was hard as nails and to make it even better he always did it with a big grin on his face. Docherty compared him to Martin Buchan and called him a carthorse. Docherty's a dick and Tam was twice the player Buchan was. Scotland v England, Tam's last ditch tackle on Channon, pure class. Not only was he hard but he could also play a bit as well.