TBK Love In

scottyc06

if you have 6k empty seats you don't need to increase capacity to improve revenue.

sorry 7k

Maybe if your big fat mate bought a ticket (or possibly two) that would be a start?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

if you have 6k empty seats you don't need to increase capacity to improve revenue.

sorry 7k

So, what is the proposal to increase revenues, given the legacy contracts for catering and merchandising in place? Christ on a bike, Rangers was the first club to leverage its name as a brand during the era of Holmes and Fletcher back in the 1980s. I'd be very surprised if there was anything other than marginal scope for increasing revenues. Where were the plans for taking costs out of the business? That's the only future for Rangers.

My thoughts on the TBK bid, as laid out by Kennedy.

According to Kennedy, the offer was £5.5 million up front, with a further £2 million contingent on European success in years two and three. Add to that potential £7.5 million a pledge to pay off all Rangers' football related debts (although that could be off-set by payment of football debts owed to Rangers ... the figures more or less balance out) taking it to a quantum of £11.2 million. Much was also made of TBK taking responsibility for on-going expenses at the time of takeover. But what does all this mean?

How do TBK propose to bring about this "European success" in years two and three? When paying the players their full whack the club haemorrhages circa £1 million per month. And that's with a playing squad that bombed out of Europe very early this season. So, are TBK expecting to add quality to the squad and take the £12 million hit per annum? If that is the case, is it really credible to expect to carry on regardless with the profligacy of the past while giving creditors pence in the pound? Seriously, £36 million down the drain to give the creditors an extra £2 million? That's not going to happen.

Ah, but didn't you listen to all the talk about increasing revenues ... the commercial side of the club is going to be transformed. Seriously? How? The legacy contracts that Bill Miller cited as a problem aren't going to be a problem under TBKs? And how do football clubs generally go about increasing revenues? Well, increasing the capacity of the stadium is usually the main one. But Ibrox currently has a capacity of a little over 50,000 and average attendances of circa 44,000, which amounts to 6,000 empty seats. But, we'll carry on regardless and look at increasing the capacity. Back in 1999 Newcastle United set about increasing the capacity of St James' Park from a little over 36,000 to a little over 52,000 at a cost of around £70 million. It cost Arsenal the small matter of around £300 million to move from the 38,000 capacity Highbury to the 60,000 capacity Emirates. Adding a further 10,000 to the capacity of Ibrox would cost a minimum £50 million.

In short, I think it was all hot air and pie in the sky.

Well said.

Having spoken several times to someone close to Kennedy's bid, the only plans he would reveal are "to ensure the club lives within its means" and "to be honest with the press". A guaranteed recipe for instant Champions League success if ever I heard it!!

Kennedy seems a good guy and a genuine businessman but he will not make money out of Rangers with a weakened squad playing in the SPL, probably with points deductions.

Nice words, nice ideas, no basis in reality.

So, what is the proposal to increase revenues, given the legacy contracts for catering and merchandising in place? Christ on a bike, Rangers was the first club to leverage its name as a brand during the era of Holmes and Fletcher back in the 1980s. I'd be very surprised if there was anything other than marginal scope for increasing revenues. Where were the plans for taking costs out of the business? That's the only future for Rangers.

I am sure theirs lots of scope. we've been run by an absentee landlord for over a decade now.

but what their actual plans are I don't know of course. certainly won't be easy.

b miller talked of 30 million Scots in America ng of Asian potential.

its just what bidders do.

their will be cuts. the European bonuses are worth little to the deal but it is right they are there.

I am sure theirs lots of scope. we've been run by an absentee landlord for over a decade now.

but what their actual plans are I don't know of course. certainly won't be easy.

their will be cuts. the European bonuses are worth little to the deal but it is right they are there.

So, all of a sudden Miller's and Ng's ideas have merit? And yet Miller talked of the legacy contracts being an impediment? And where was the talk of taking costs out of the business yesterday? Not a mention, as far as I heard.

Come on, you and I both know that there are two main revenue streams ... television monies and match day revenues. And there's not a lot that any new owner can do to increase either. That's the problem that faces Rangers. When McCann took over at the Eastern Necropolis there was massive potential from revamping the stadium and dragging the club into the modern era. But Rangers, in sharp contrast, led the charge into the modern era.

We'll be able to achieve penetration in the South Amercian and Asian markets when we win the World Club Championship in 2014.

Plus, it's being held in Morocco that year so that will open up the African market for us also.

Yep, Mr Kennedy's a shrewdie. The whole world is our stage under TBK.

So, all of a sudden Miller's and Ng's ideas have merit? And yet Miller talked of the legacy contracts being an impediment? And where was the talk of taking costs out of the business yesterday? Not a mention, as far as I heard.

Come on, you and I both know that there are two main revenue streams ... television monies and match day revenues. And there's not a lot that any new owner can do to increase either. That's the problem that faces Rangers. When McCann took over at the Eastern Necropolis there was massive potential from revamping the stadium and dragging the club into the modern era. But Rangers, in sharp contrast, led the charge into the modern era.

no its mostly just talk.

I think tbk with souness and smith could indeed up match revenue and of course their bid kept us from only getting 25% tv revenue.

people are individuals.

we each do what we feel is right.

me I listened to Kennedy and didn't protest. much as I listened to him yesterday.

I actually think eventually Kennedy will get the Nod i think its all a game at the moment.

oh not everything outwith tbk is wrong. just everything so far.

Much like TBK then, who have made a royal arse of their bid at every step.

Actually, that's not quite true. TBK did one thing right in recruiting Kennedy to do mini's thinking for him.

Had BK not climbed on board, none of us would even be discussing TBK now.

Much like TBK then, who have made a royal arse of their bid at every step.

Actually, that's not quite true. TBK did one thing right in recruiting Kennedy to do mini's thinking for him.

Had BK not climbed on board, none of us would even be discussing TBK now.

if my aunty had baws.

no its mostly just talk.

I think tbk with souness and smith could indeed up match revenue and of course their bid kept us from only getting 25% tv revenue.

Realistically, what do you expect from Souness? His success during his first period came from out-spending everyone and what has he achieved lately? Last I remember he was drummed out of the Toon. Now, how exactly is Souness going to massively increase revenues? And I thought that Messrs Smith and Souness would be on the football board, not the commercial board. So, saddled with the legacy catering and merchandising contracts how exactly are revenues going to be substantially increased?

if miller had balls

I didn't see much evidence of balls from Mini-Murray and Brian Kennedy yesterday ... just promises of a New Jerusalem, with Europeam success in the second and third years. No mention of making tough decisions and bridging the hole in the budget.

TBK/BK have been the biggest time wasters throught out this whole saga.

And they make the process ever more difficult by giving the impression that tough decisions don't have to be made.

I didn't see much evidence of balls from Mini-Murray and Brian Kennedy yesterday ... just promises of a New Jerusalem, with Europeam success in the second and third years. No mention of making tough decisions and bridging the hole in the budget.

The important thing to note is that if you believe court appointed officials are corrupt or incompetent, that by far the best way to try and deal with that situation is to call a press conference. You wouldn't want to do anything daft like challenge it through any legal route.