Charles Green seeks dialogue with Regan

Ozblue

http://sport.stv.tv/football/clubs/rangers/104076-prospective-rangers-owner-seeks-scottish-fa-talks-to-prevent-fifa-action/

Prospective Rangers owner Charles Green says he is seeking an urgent meeting with Scottish FA chief Stewart Regan to prevent FIFA from intervening in a dispute between the two organisations.

Having been handed a 12-month registration embargo by the governing body for failing to pay tax contributions for their employees over nine months, Rangers challenged the validity of the sanction in the Court of Session.

A judge ruled the punishment was “unlawful” and not permissible based on the Scottish FA’s rulebook, despite a clause in the articles of association saying the relevant appeals panel could use its discretion to impose any sanction it saw fit.

FIFA’s statutes warn against clubs taking football matters to courts of law and, having issued a statement on Tuesday warning for the courts not to be used, are keeping a close eye on the developing situation.

The onus is now on the Scottish FA to punish Rangers for using the courts, or face FIFA’s intervention and the potential suspension of all clubs and the national team from participating in football outside of the country.

“I want to have talks with Stewart Regan to find a way out of this for the good of Scottish football,” Green told the Scottish Sun.

“There is a balancing act here. We accept Rangers should be punished for the sins of the past. I am not disputing that, the SFA have an obligation to do that.

“But I have to stress that the fans of Rangers, administrators and myself feel the initial penalty given to the club was too harsh.

Is the meeting today?? Like iv seen on other threads. Let common sense prevail.

I'm not sure when Green has asked for this meeting,but I'd imagine it would be fairly quickly because the clock is ticking.

I'm not sure when Green has asked for this meeting,but I'd imagine it would be fairly quickly because the clock is ticking.

It would make a lot of sense if they can reach an agreeable solution for the benefit of all concerned.

I'm sure Green won't be too heavy with his demands for compensation for the abuse of rules that led to an illegal embargo being imposed upon the club.

At least he is taking the initiative here.... Better to do that than let the SFA come to some ridiculous conclusion on their own about what to do. And... we enjoy the upper hand (at the moment) .. so let's leverage it.

We should be suing the SFA for court costs and the cost incurred with them stalling the deal for new owners with their unlawful rules they seem to be making up.

Definately agree with the second part but I'm sure the judge ordered them to pay us the court costs :crabflute:

But surely if it was a an 'Independent' panel that decided on the sanction what would Regan have to do with anything? And remember that Lord Glennie has referred the matter back to the panel NOT the SFA per se.

It would make a lot of sense if they can reach an agreeable solution for the benefit of all concerned.

I'm sure Green won't be too heavy with his demands for compensation for the abuse of rules that led to an illegal embargo being imposed upon the club.

I'm pretty sure that Lawwell Regan will be quite willing to use every tool at his disposal to ensure that Rangers get a fair and just recompense due to this slight misunderstanding of the independent tribunal decision,and the ensuing appellate :rolleyes:

But surely if it was a an 'Independent' panel that decided on the sanction what would Regan have to do with anything? And remember that Lord Glennie has referred the matter back to the panel NOT the SFA per se.

It was an independent panel that decided on the sanction, but it was an SFA authoritive that gave them the sanctions that could be handed down, which is what they used.

It's about time the interested parties got round a table and sorted this mess out.

Hopefully with a bit more of this we can start to heal the rifts with the SFA.

Both sides drawing lines and taking potshots at each other is just increasing the conflict. If Green can get them to the table and agree a decent solution, his credibility will go up a notch.

It's about time the interested parties got round a table and sorted this mess out.

Hopefully with a bit more of this we can start to heal the rifts with the SFA.

Both sides drawing lines and taking potshots at each other is just increasing the conflict. If Green can get them to the table and agree a decent solution, his credibility will go up a notch.

I agree with this. He is giving Regan a chance to step away from the precipice but doing it from a position of relative strength .... or, at least, less weakness. Regan has boxed himself into a corner. If he doesn't accept the olive branch then he is a bigger moron than we all thought.

Quite a clever ploy. If Regan accepts it just demonstrates that the panel was never 'independent' but, if he refuses, and the panel suspend or expel Rangers then the SPL, which is desperate to keep us in the top flight for financial reasons, is going to be mega pissed-off.

It doesn't mean that Rangers are in a good position, we are not, but it could improve our position from where we are today.