Newco Sanctions

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

honestly id prefer to see us in Div 3 with our young scottish players making up most of the team. with no european football theres no point winning the league when we'll make zero money from it, to afford the wages most of the players are on the now. think wed be a biger draw for tv than watching kilmarnock aberdeen every wk so if we can renogotiate a deal and make enough money off it to keep most of our young players like ness and hutton mccabe and perry and maybe even fleck we'd still have a decent team to win promotion each year, and by the time we get to the premier league we'll have experienced players ready to compete for the title straight away and then get into europe from there.....

Me, enough chairmen have already come out publically with their mind made up.

100% of them certainly haven't

and once the reality of them losing out on our ticket money kicks in then they'll soon change their tune.

there's a big difference between saying and doing.

100% of them certainly haven't

and once the reality of them losing out on our ticket money kicks in then they'll soon change their tune.

there's a big difference between saying and doing.

Exactly, with it being an anonymous vote as long as 1 or 2 say no they can look good in the eyes of their supporters...

Well our chairman X didn't vote for it because he said so on Y date.

They are pandering to their fans at the moment and as you said as soon as they weigh up the finances and the impact they will change their tune. None will have made a decision yet.

They haven't been voted on yet, any soon to be voted on sanctions can't apply to us.. No?

Alan they passed a vote that the SPL clubs will vote on the Newco, also in addition that sanctions/if any will be decided by the 12 clubs through a vote also.

Exactly, with it being an anonymous vote as long as 1 or 2 say no they can look good in the eyes of their supporters...

Well our chairman X didn't vote for it because he said so on Y date.

They are pandering to their fans at the moment and as you said as soon as they weigh up the finances and the impact they will change their tune. None will have made a decision yet.

i honestly can't see any of them voting no mate

it would be financial suicide

but sporting integrity means everything right enough... :rolleyes:

every single 1 will vote yes.

they might have got their digs in but but when push comes to shove 100% of them know need they need us and the mini lottery win we give them everytime they play us in their shithole grounds.

i honestly can't see any of them voting no mate

it would be financial suicide

but sporting integrity means everything right enough... :rolleyes:

I know...sporting integrity, it's a bitch :rolleyes:

Best part is Motherwell are reporting a 50% increase on Season Tickets and St Mirren 15%, doesn't matter what their fans think they've already bought them :lol:

Why do people think we get a vote?

We wouldn't be a club in the SPL - thus we don't get a vote.

If we have to apply to be back in, then in theory any club can apply to take our oldco place. That would suggets that (example) 30 teams could apply, and they all get a vote as well?

Bit dumb, no?

I reckon they will all vote us in, but with shitty sanctions. How bad, fuck knows. But I reckon any board will accept them, and not cut their nose off to spite their face, they all seem to be in this for the money and nowt else - well minus TBK, but that boats sailed.

honestly id prefer to see us in Div 3 with our young scottish players making up most of the team. with no european football theres no point winning the league when we'll make zero money from it, to afford the wages most of the players are on the now. think wed be a biger draw for tv than watching kilmarnock aberdeen every wk so if we can renogotiate a deal and make enough money off it to keep most of our young players like ness and hutton mccabe and perry and maybe even fleck we'd still have a decent team to win promotion each year, and by the time we get to the premier league we'll have experienced players ready to compete for the title straight away and then get into europe from there.....

just a point but why would ness mccabe hutton and fleck play in div 3?? just my opinion but cant see them staying we won't generate the revenue these players could and should get, plus we would be hindering their development by making them play at such a low level, they would be far better off pursueing their careers in the english leagues

Ironically enough, the two teams that I would count on for support above any other are Celtic and Aberdeen.

Make no mistake about it, no club really cares what their supporters will make of it so personally I think they'll vote us in but probably hit us with sanctions that are large enough to make us uncompetitive, but not large enough to see us relegated.

what will they be voting on,, to let us in or to kick us out??

if its to let us in we would need 8 votes in favour

but if its to kick us out we would only need 5 votes against it

for the record i think we should tell them to stick the vote up their arses and go elsewhere and let them all go to the wall without us

But as we are not effectively in the league set up as of today, do we have a vote? And I say effecctively as newco does not reside in the league format of SPL, so how can we vote if we are not part of it????

I don't suppose it really matters one way or the other if we have a vote. We'd obviously vote yes, but it doesn't really change the arithmetic. It just becomes an "8-4 vote" rather than a "7-4 vote" - either way it's what the other clubs do that matters.

By ANDREW SMITH

Published on Wednesday 13 June 2012 00:00

Horse-trading and hard thinking will determine whether SPL clubs will vote to accept a newco Rangers in the Scottish top flight. If five clubs are against, they won’t. Many imponderables must be factored in, chief among these Sky’s attitude to honouring their £80m five-year deal, scheduled to begin this coming season, if Rangers are not in the SPL. Clubs could be willing to vote for the new Rangers, with sanctions attached, in return for them agreeing to change the current 11-1 voting structure on the distribution of centralised revenues. Here we look at the possible standpoints of the 11 clubs:

ABERDEEN

The Pittodrie support, through their Trust, have been among the most vociferous opponents of a Rangers newco that would betray a “rigged system” in which there were clubs “too big too fail” and cause them to desert their club en masse. Their chairman, Stewart Milne, wants all this to go away. His club are £12m in debt, he is financing a £38m new stadium and would only say last month: “We will do what we believe is in the best interests of Aberdeen Football Club and Scottish football.”

How they might vote: Milne may be backed in to the ‘no’ corner by a support he cannot afford to lose.

CELTIC

They have deliberately said little beyond chief executive Peter Lawwell’s catch-all: “Our guiding principle is to do what is in the best interests of Celtic and our supporters, while upholding the interests and reputation of Scottish football.” The club that stands to lose most financially if there is no Rangers in the SPL, in any ideal world they wouldn’t want that but there would be a mass revolt among their support if they didn’t serve sporting integrity in the expected fashion.

How they might vote: A stick-on ‘no to newco’ because any other response would be commercial suicide.

DUNDEE UNITED

Owner Stephen Thompson has admitted to attitudes hardening over Rangers after they went to the civil courts. His mind seems to be being made up by a Tannadice faithful who are letting him know they will turn their back on the club if he favours a Rangers newco. “I was told that, at Motherwell at the end of last season, every turnstile had a poster above it saying ‘no to newco’. It was the same at Aberdeen. Fans are feeling very strongly about it. I have been sent hundreds of letters and emails on the subject. Some of them are from people who have been season-ticket holders for 30 years. I have made my mind up, which I won’t go public on. You have to listen to the fans as well but you have a responsibility to the club as well. That doesn’t necessarily mean I want them in. Don’t read too much in that.”

How they might vote: A probable ‘no’ but might be swayed with heavy sanctions for a newco Rangers.

HEARTS

On the line for around £600,000 in lost revenue if the TV deal takes a heavy hit with no Rangers in the SPL, money – including the £800,000 Rangers owe them for Lee Wallace – will dictate their attitude. Hence director Sergejus Fedotovas’ take: “Justice is very important but lessons learned are more valuable. Scottish football should not put all focus on the punishment.”

How they might vote: Certain to back a Rangers return.

HIBERNIAN

No-one has been more unequivocal about their rejection of a fiscal imperative to accept Rangers as a newco than Hibernian chairman Rod Petrie. “Fundamental to us at our club is to make sure the integrity of the game is not called into question and that the sporting integrity of the competition we take part in is maintained at the highest standards. It’s not a question of any sum of money in return for that integrity – integrity is beyond purchase. It’s important that all clubs can have a place within football, provided they have earned it in a sporting sense and also have abided by the rules. If we are called upon to make any decisions we will try to do the right thing and uphold the integrity of the competition that we are engaged in.”

How they might vote: A Rangers refusnik.

INVERNESS CT

Reacted angrily to Rangers’ Court of Session challenge to the SFA but won’t want any uncertainties over revenues when finances tight. Chairman Kenny Cameron said: “There is much still to discuss – but I hope this will bring certainty and closure to this issue. We just need to move on from this situation.”

How they might vote: Will want a Rangers in the SPL.

KILMARNOCK

There is no guesswork required to determine the intentions of club chairman Michael Johnston. “Members see the commercial benefits of having Rangers, even as a newco,” he said last month. “The clubs are mindful of a sporting integrity aspect, but the commercial benefits may outweigh that.”

How they might vote: Another certainty to accept any Rangers. Johnston has also cautioned against any further punishments for the club that plays out of Ibrox.

MOTHERWELL

Another club whose minds might be made up by their masses, the club’s proposed fan ownership model is dependent on listening to them. As they admitted in mealy-mouth fashion. “We do not believe we can separate the sporting integrity of our league from the sustainable future of our club – the two go hand-in-hand. Any decisions we take as a board are made in the best interests of the club with a view to achieving our stated aims for ownership and funding. [A newco proposal we would] fully discuss with representatives of our supporters’ groups, prior to making any decision.”

How they might vote: The rank and file seem to be pushing them reluctantly towards the ‘no’ camp.

ROSS COUNTY

The newest member of the 11, they are not financially dependent on the SPL, in whatever form it takes. Their chairman Roy MacGregor’s stance reflects that. “I will listen to the arguments. I will not prejudge. We are taking a calculated risk on our budget for next season and it was done before this situation. It will make no difference,” he said.

How they might vote: For their first season among the elite they could feel cheated if there was no Rangers. File under “don’t know”.

ST JOHNSTONE

Contradictory noises have come from chairman Steven Brown. Has said his club don’t need Rangers but that it would be a “disaster” if the brand was lost to the SPL. Then last week he stated: “I certainly will not let Rangers in without sanctions. The feeling from the people I’ve spoken to is they won’t let Rangers in with a ‘get out free card’.”

How they might vote: Will vote Rangers in with the right penalty tariff.

ST MIRREN

Another of the swaying brigade, chairman Stewart Gilmour has previously stated Scottish football needs “a strong Rangers and a strong Celtic” but lacerated the Ibrox club for their legal recourse beyond the game. St Mirren’s position will be determined by whether any newco vote is held before 4 July, when ownership of the club is set to transfer to a supporters’ group.

How they might vote: If the current board are still in place Rangers will be supported, if the fans group have taken over perhaps not.

Im so far away it hurts!!

The info we get in Australia is only via the internet but my opinion is that we should not beg, request or apply to stay in the SPL.

Fuck them all. Without us the SPL is nothing more than a glorified version of park football.

If any sanctions are placed on us as a newco that prohibit, limit, or punish us from competing evenly and with the factual position that we are not permitted in Europe then why would we do this?

Player payments without Euro competition coupled with SPL points deductions, player embargo etc should really mean we would not put our cub in this position.

We should go to the lower divisions

We should re-group as a club

We should eliminate all the high wage earners from our books

We should start again.

No doubt in 1 year the SPL will restructure. The entire set up will have to be reviewed. It's unssutainable. The joke that is the SPL being a professional league capable of supporting professional clubs will be part of the discussion in any review. Only RFC and the Scum are capable of running a professional fulltime club(even we have done poorly of late) so how the fuck can the dicks at Dundee Utd and the Sheep do it!

Nope, sorry but now is the time to drop down the leagues. Consolidate the club, Rethink our next 3 year plan without the pain of player wages.

AND FINALLY - WORK OUT HOW WE CAN HAVE A MEMBER BASED CLUB!!!!! This is the ideal time to do this when our costs will be fuck all. Our income to wages ratio will be positive!

If we are punished so much that we cant win and cant enter Europe we MUST regroup and with our massive fan base and our unity the next 2 to 3 years could be our most profitable in decades.

I see ONLY a bright futire with our wonderful traditions intact!!!

HAPPY TO BE BLUE! WATP.

think we will take a beating in the vote, more chance of us losing 8-4, than winning by that score.

would be the best result anyway, if they did allow us to remain, the sanctions could be extreme.

they could impose point deductions and reduce our revenue for years if they wanted to.

Whats does everyone think the other clubs will vote as our punishment for a newco??

One things for sure it's going to be bad for us, points docked for 3 years?, loss of any T.V. income, maybe loss of income from home gates as well.

The spl have been up to their usual sleekit ways in making up new rules that any sanctions on newco's will be made on a case by case basis, it gives them the authority to hammer us but go easy on a Hearts or Dundee utd etc.

Frankly the club should not even lower itself in going cap in hand to these people, just head for sfl3 and lets start rebuilding.

If this vote is annonymous and we never find out who voted yes or no, we will be kept in. Was speaking to my dad last night and all this scumdee utd talk of not accepting us is just a front for their fans to swallow up. They all voted for newco sanctions, they know they need us but want to heavily punish us while keeping us in the SPL.