Black: I can win over fans

The former Hearts midfielder became an unpopular figure in the eyes of the Ibrox faithful as a result of the tackle which sidelined the striker for several months with ankle ligament damage in October 2010.

Jelavic sealed a move to Everton in January, while Black became the first signing for Rangers since the club was consigned to liquidation and became a new company this summer.

And, as far as he is concerned, he would rather focus on what he sees as a bright future with the Glasgow giants, than dwell on the past.

Black said: "I think I was a villain for every SPL team but that's part and parcel of the job.

"I'm sure I'll win the fans over. I'm here to do a job for them.

"Some of them might have a bit of a grudge but I'll just go out there and work and hopefully do the business for them.

"People who know me, know what I'm like. I don't dwell on the past or talk about it. What happens, happens. You have to get on with it.

"He's kicked on and moved down south now and I'm here.

"But I'm sure if he was here, I would go over and shake the big boy's hand and enjoy working with him."

Black and Dean Shiels both opted to sign for Rangers despite the club being demoted to the Irn-Bru Third Division.

And, as Ally McCoist attempts to build a squad before a 12-month transfer embargo comes into effect on September 1, Black has urged other potential targets to follow suit.

He said: "If there are players out there who have been contacted by the manager or the board, I would urge any one of them to come here because it's a special place and everybody is great."

Black, who was a free agent after his Hearts contract expired, added: "I had a good number of offers and that's why it raised a few peoples' eyebrows but I was over the moon when Rangers came in.

"It's an opportunity that doesn't come around often at a club of this size.

"If you asked the majority of players who are playing in the SPL, if they had the opportunity to come to a club like this, I'm sure they would grab it with both hands.

"You can talk about Division Three but it doesn't matter.

"I'm here to play for the club and I can be part of something very special, just like I was at the end of the season with Hearts.

"People can look at me and think I'm silly but we'll be back one day and I'm just looking forward to the challenge."

Black helped Hearts win the William Hill Scottish Cup last season and sees no reason why Rangers cannot go all the way in the cup competitions this term despite their league status.

He said: "There is great belief throughout the whole squad.

"We've not spoken about it but we know we've got the ability in that group to win the cups.

"People might knock us now because of where we are but I'm sure we will go out there and try to prove a point."

He also believes Third Division football should be no barrier to himself - or any other Rangers player - forcing their way into Scotland boss Craig Levein's plans ahead of the World Cup qualifiers.

Black said: "It shouldn't hinder anything, it doesn't matter what level you are playing at.

"If you're good enough to get in that squad, I'm sure he will look at you and see that you are doing the business.

"There are a few of us who have potential to get in and I'm sure he won't turn a blind eye. If we are at the top of our game, then who knows?"

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/article/439/7960380/black-i-can-win-over-fans?

he's wearing our top now, so he gets my support

This goes for me as well.

Hated him at Hearts, thought he was a cunt and really wished someone would crunch him every game but likewise with Diouf, when he joined, Ian has my support 100%. 00000042.gif

I was raging with him after the tackle on Jelavic and thought he was a dirty bastard. Jelavic ended up doing what he wanted to do and used the Rangers to work his ticket to the EPL.

Black was MOTM in the SCF and is no division 3 player, players of less ability have gone to the Championship and earned more money. For most of us we have endured the worst summer weather in living memory.Ian Black has decided to stand shoulder to shoulder with the Famous Glasgow Rangers as we endure the hurricane of hatred in the current climate. For this alone Ian i forgive you for that tackle on Jelavic he was never a true Ranger but you are well on your way to proving yourself as one.

I'm not easily won over but he's definitely went up in my estimations for choosing Rangers when he could have played at a higher level.

He's showed more Rangers class than Shagger,Naismith and Lafferty etc and they claimed to be Rangers men.

I would like him to win me over though and I think he will.

he's wearing our top now, so he gets my support

You're dead right there.

I could never boo someone in blue. Whittaker and Edu have had a helluva lot of 'negative' words directed at them but I never booed them.

We gave Diouf a chance. It means ANY other player must be given a similar chance to impress.