Do you feel a connection with Liverpool at times like this?

Thermopylae

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

abhorant that people went to a football game and never returned , the similarities with ibrox, the same carnage brought upon the young, it would be unhuman not to feel for those fans families, as a bear and a football fan my heart goes out to them.

what the police and the media and the politicians did that day wasnt just a vile smear on liverpool fans it was a vile smear on all football fans, the working class as well, we're talking about thatchers Britain here, and the same police who went to war with miners and generally went through the 80's with carte blanche in dealing with maggie's opponents.

I hope the families get the justice they deserve, and the police, the politicians and the right wing press who colluded get whats coming to them as well.

but links with liverpool fc?

steady on, cant stand em (td)

No no connection at all, I've never liked Liverpool as a club but can still feel empathy for what happened to them.

I dont get this global grief culture we have now, as i find grief a very personal thing.

abhorant that people went to a football game and never returned , the similarities with ibrox, the same carnage brought upon the young, it would be unhuman not to feel for those fans families, as a bear and a football fan my heart goes out to them.

what the police and the media and the politicians did that day wasnt just a vile smear on liverpool fans it was a vile smear on all football fans, the working class as well, we're talking about thatchers Britain here, and the same police who went to war with miners and generally went through the 80's with carte blanche in dealing with maggie's opponents.

I hope the families get the justice they deserve, and the police, the politicians and the right wing press who colluded get whats coming to them as well.

Isn't that the strength of football and human beings generally ? Its possible to sympathise with the loss and be outraged by the behaviour of the authorities in its 23 year aftermath but it doesn't mean a bond is created other than a bond of general human decency.

Personally ive always liked liverpool and never let the yahoos fabricated connection bother me in the slightest,also as the clubs was founded by orangemen which has always went down well with me,justice for the 96

its a personal thing for me, I was brought up in england in the early 70's, my family were all liverpool fans, I opted for leeds utd as the wee men on my table football game were red and yellow.

football eh? sometimes it really is as simple and silly as that.

Nah...feel awful for the families but feel nothing for the club, same applies to bradford. Given that I do have a wee soft spot for Juventus for the way they soldiered on and won the European cup for the 1st time despite what went on before the game...immense courage from the old lady.

Thing I can't get past is that the poor victims at the front weren't killed by the ambulance service or the police. They were killed by the people behind pushing, as simple as that, and the strange thing is that this is never mentioned as the prime cause of the tragedy. With hindsight the police shouldn't have opened the exit gate but that decision cannot have been taken on a whim - there must have been concern about the increasingly dangerous situation outside the ground. And the ambulance service might, again with hindsight, have been better prepared and organised. It might be naive but surely if fans arrive, with tickets, reasonably behaved, in good time then there will not be any problems? We are all responsible for our actions and always will be. So yes I have sympathy for those who died or were injured. Unfortunately we have now reached the point where it seems to be accepted that the fans of Liverpool FC played no part whatsoever in the disaster. Is this just another symptom of the "anyone's fault but mine culture"?

Thing I can't get past is that the poor victims at the front weren't killed by the ambulance service or the police. They were killed by the people behind pushing, as simple as that, and the strange thing is that this is never mentioned as the prime cause of the tragedy. With hindsight the police shouldn't have opened the exit gate but that decision cannot have been taken on a whim - there must have been concern about the increasingly dangerous situation outside the ground. And the ambulance service might, again with hindsight, have been better prepared and organised. It might be naive but surely if fans arrive, with tickets, reasonably behaved, in good time then there will not be any problems? We are all responsible for our actions and always will be. So yes I have sympathy for those who died or were injured. Unfortunately we have now reached the point where it seems to be accepted that the fans of Liverpool FC played no part whatsoever in the disaster. Is this just another symptom of the "anyone's fault but mine culture"?

Agree. And they conveniently air brush Heysel from history too.

I find it absolutely amazing that their are still ignorant, ill-educated and narrow minded people who STILL believe, after everything that has came out yesterday, that Liverpool fans are even partly to blame.

What does one have to do with the other?

The other event probably made the police slower to react as the horror of what happened in Belgium was only a few years prior. obviously the police and authorities got it wrong and they're actions since has been disgusting but if I was a policeman that day my 1st thought would be 'oh ffs, they're on the riot again'

Previous incidences as we have found out as fans of Rangers unfortunately effect the polices handling of the situation.

Btw, it am not saying its their fault...I'm just saying that's how heysel IMO effected this particular scenario

I find it absolutely amazing that their are still ignorant, ill-educated and narrow minded people who STILL believe, after everything that has came out yesterday, that Liverpool fans are even partly to blame.

That's a very simplistic view. Disasters rarely have a single cause. Most of what came out yesterday was about the police's disgusting attempts to avoid blame and to cast the dead in a poor light. I was living in Liverpool at the time so it comes as no surprise that there was a major cover up. We already knew about the operational mistakes on the day from the Taylor report. The failure of the ambulance service was genuinely new information as in the Taylor report they were the one group not criticised.

However, it is not correct to say that Taylor completely exonerated the Liverpool fans - unlike most people I have bothered to read the actual report (rather than Rogan Taylor's book) and he does state that some fans turning up late and drunk probably contributed to what happened.

Of course, saying that now is interpreted as blaming the people that died (they of course were blameless) and excusing the failings of the police, which were ultimately the most important cause.

The other event probably made the police slower to react as the horror of what happened in Belgium was only a few years prior. obviously the police and authorities got it wrong and they're actions since has been disgusting but if I was a policeman that day my 1st thought would be 'oh ffs, they're on the riot again'

Previous incidences as we have found out as fans of Rangers unfortunately effect the polices handling of the situation.

Btw, it am not saying its their fault...I'm just saying that's how heysel IMO effected this particular scenario

Unfortunately fan safety was at the bottom of the list of priorities at that time

That's a very simplistic view. Disasters rarely have a single cause. Most of what came out yesterday was about the police's disgusting attempts to avoid blame and to cast the dead in a poor light. I was living in Liverpool at the time so it comes as no surprise that there was a major cover up. We already knew about the operational mistakes on the day from the Taylor report. The failure of the ambulance service was genuinely new information as in the Taylor report they were the one group not criticised.

However, it is not correct to say that Taylor completely exonerated the Liverpool fans - unlike most people I have bothered to read the actual report (rather than Rogan Taylor's book) and he does state that some fans turning up late and drunk probably contributed to what happened.

Of course, saying that now is interpreted as blaming the people that died (they of course were blameless) and excusing the failings of the police, which were ultimately the most important cause.

They contributed no more than the thousands who turned up on time and sober. The problems started when the exit gate was opened to relieve the crush outside, this gate was ordered to be opened 8 minutes before the game kicked off, fans rushed through and a bottleneck was created. I really don't see how latecomers and alcohol consumption could have contributed to the disaster in any way.

I'm unsure where I suggested that this disaster had a single cause.

The police were predisposed to assume all problems were the result of violent, drunken scum on the terraces who deserved everything they got.

They would have acted this way regardless of what happened at Heysel.

What a fucking horrible thing to say.

Could you imagine the panic and fear as the numbers of people in an inclosed space would feel?

You're a fucking coward.

I'm guessing you would have stood still and twiddled your thumbs? What a moronic and insensitive thing to say.

I must admit I am a Liverpool fan as well as a Rangers fan, this year if it is down to our games being played at the same time then I am Rangers bound as I want to support my club in any way I can.

This question is something I saw today at work and remembered this event during a game at Anfield last year in memory of our fans lost in the disaster and though I would post it here

flag_4ced3bfcdf5c3696239218.jpg

the story can also be found in the Liverpool Echo here

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2011/01/04/hillsborough-flag-flown-at-ibrox-disaster-memorial-100252-27928189/

I know there is an easy link for a Liverpool supporter to be one of the great unwashed (YNWA and Fields of anthenry/Fields of Anfield road)but this was a show from Liverpool fans giving their sympathy to our disaster at Ibrox, so I will think you may find there are many Rangers fans that do like Liverpool but are not too open about it.

I am not one, I am proud of both and will support both as I have done all my life.

So why did the police allow the situation at the ground to become dangerous in the first place? Have you ever been to Hillsborough?

Agree. And they conveniently air brush Heysel from history too.

Good Lord! Some of you on here are a heartless lot! What if it had been one of yours/ours?

I really can't believe what I am reading on here about Hillsborough. The detachment some of you have from reality is mind boggling!

As long as it is not one of our's is it OK then? To be crushed to death whilst watching your team?

I despair!

I am not a Liverpool fan, but I rejoice that the families of the 96 have finally got some of the TRUTH, at last.