*UPDATE* - Jim Baxter's Scotland Shirt From '67 Is Coming Home, To Ibrox!

DarcheVinny

I got a message on facebook from Jim saying that he has got Mark hospitality in the directors box for him and his dad for any game they wish, where they will hand over the top to Rangers to display for as long as Mark is happy with the arrangement.

Could't have asked for a better result. And glad I helped play a wee part on getting this done.

Cheers Mark, amazing gesture. God knows how much that top would have picked up at auction.

My dad went missing (with weeks pay packet)straight from work at Babcox and Wicox in Renfrew on the Friday afternoon before the 67 game at Wembley. We only lived half an hour away via the renfew ferry so by 6.00 p.m, mum was concerned, had he gone to the pub, had he blown the wages in the bookies ?

By 7.00 p.m. Friday mum was more worried, us two kids (me aged 7)were whining.

By 10.p.m. Friday grandparents had been called in, sitting up all night, no news.

In the early Saturday, morning contacted police for missing persons, beginning to panic

But all the time I now realise we were all thinking. The England Scotland game.

We put it on the TV.

We all watched the game, looking for my dad in the crowd. All gray coats and bunnets in those days, could nt see a familiar bunnet. England 2, Scotland 3 but I dont remember much about the game.

6p.m Saturday. Phone call, noisy background.Dad phoning. In a pub not far from Wembley.

Had got a ticket from a mate on the bus for the game at last minute, got paid, got a few beers, carry out, trip to Wembley, more booze, great result, more booze, a few of you have been there, kept meaning to phone etc, etc (no mobiles in those days.)

Got back on the Sunday and got the cold shoulder treatment from, Mum, and Grandparents for weeks.

Miss my Dad, but one thing I can smile at now is that given the chance to do it again he probably would have done the exact same thing, just to see the great Jim Baxter and the Scottish team play at Wembley.

Nice story mate, enjoyed reading that

If Charles Green has proposed buying Edminston house would it not be an idea to open a Rangers Museum. That is where memorabilia of this magnitude belong. So many great players have passed over and it would be nice to have a spot where they can be 'remembered' through some of their photos, jerseys, biographies etc.

The Rangers Museum???

Just saw the thread about the museum idea --- oooops.:rolleyes:

Would be a top gesture if they were introduced to the crowd so we could give them a big Rangers thank you. All helps with spreading the gospel to the world.

I'll second that...great gesture by these guys, deserve a big Blue Sea of Ibrox thank you

Would be a top gesture if they were introduced to the crowd so we could give them a big Rangers thank you. All helps with spreading the gospel to the world.

Totally agree. It's the least we could do.

He could've got thousands of pounds for that jersey, but he hasn't auctioned it, he has given it, albeit on loan to the Rangers family. And he isn't even a football fan. A lifetime season ticket for his dad would be good to 'pay as rent' for the top.

Mark Deighan, Jimmy Deighan, Jim Baxter... Rangers legends :praise::praise:

In a year when we have had so much taken from us as well.

How many on here saw it in its original glory in 67 ? Must bring back some great memories.

The old mans name is actually Jimmy McGarrity and he stays in Spain (tu)

It would be great to see Slim Jim's shirt at Ibrox. Mind you I don't think Jim still with us when he wore that shirt

He was playing for Sunderland at the time. Matters not, the shirt belongs at iBrox.

off topic - I met Jonny Hubbard the other week, what a hero. Could listen to him telling stories all day!