• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

http://leggoland2.blogspot.co.uk/

BIGOTS TO COST SPL ITS SKY DEAL

SKY Sports bosses are looking at ways to cut costs after signing a new £1BILLION plus deal to show the English Premiership.

The company knows it can't just keep spending on all fronts and it is now looking to chop costs in the unpopular areas of its sports broadcasting portfolio.

And that could see them review any new contract which may be offered to the Scottish Premier League.

Which, in turn, would surely plunge the Scottish Premier League clubs into financial turmoil and drop lead to problems for outfits such as Dundee United and Aberdeen paying players’ wages.

The backlash from the SPL's campaign against Rangers is coming.

Remember, Scottish Premier League chief executive Neil Doncaster allowed Celtic supremo Peter Lawwell to gatecrash last summer’s crisis talks with Sky Sports.

For there were real fears then that Sky would just pull the plug on their SPL deal there and then after the SPL ganged up on Rangers and refused to have them in the top flight.

But that cobbled together last minute cut price deal to keep SPL action on Sky Sports will run out at the end of the current campaign.

Sky were prepared to give the SPL a chance.

But they knew even then that the contract for a new deal which would have seen Celtic, Aberdeen, Dundee United and Hibernian, etc, cash in to the tune of £80m, has no chance of being re-offered now that Rangers are no longer part of the Neil Doncaster-Peter Lawwell-Eric Riley Scottish Premier League.

My information is that Sky decided to keep a close eye on viewing figures for its live games in the Rangersless Scottish Premier League before deciding just how low an offer they could make to Neil Doncaster and Peter Lawwell.

They expected viewing figures to fall in the one-horse race that is the totally discredited Scottish Premier League.

But they have been shocked at the dramatic extent of the big switch off, with only 22,000 tuning in for the Hibs-Hearts Edinburgh derby and even games featuring Celtic have averaged only a paltry 70,000.

Now, if viewing figures do not pick up dramatically, Sky bosses could decide there is no value for money in Scottish football and pull the plug on the Scottish Premier League.

For on top of the money paid to clubs in any new contract the outside broadcast costs are a hefty £100,000-a-game. It all adds up and even big spending Sky don't have a bottomless lit of cash.

My information is that cost cutting exercises are already being planned across the board at Sky Sports in order to balance the books and help fund the big pay day which is being handed to the English Premiership.

The top men at Sky are now coming round to the view that giving more cash to the one-horse race that is the Scottish Premier League without Rangers, is simply throwing good money after bad.

Which means, at the end of this season, all the sweet talking from Peter Lawwell and promises that Rangers will somehow be fast tracked back to the Scottish Premier League, will not work with the bean counters at Sky who are telling the Sky Sports executives to cut costs.

Which will lead to those clubs who led the vindictive charge again Rangers to freeze them out of the SPL, finally paying the price for listening to the bigoted cries of their demented supporters.

AND......

OCTOBER 24th. That’s today and it is the date on which I promised there would be some good news for Rangers supporters.

Well, here it is.

One of the greatest names in Rangers history, James Scotland Symon – Scot Symon – has also become one of its most forgotten and overlooked names.

I aim to right that wrong and my new book GREAT SCOT - The James Scotland Symon Story, is published today by Black and White Publishing. At £14.99, from all good bookshops, it’s a snip and covers a golden era in the Ibrox club’s history.

There will be more about Scot Symon in the coming days and weeks as I highlight the disgraceful outrage of how his massive contribution to both Rangers and to Scottish football in general, has been swept under the carpet.

posted by leggoland @ 07:53

Classic Leggo speculation. Ifs buts and maybes. Put enough speculative shite out and eventually some of it will stick. Hardly the investigative research he champions. The only positive in the short term is the potential damage to our enemies. Nut ultimately it makes things tougher for us to compete on the big stage when we get back there too.

I tend to agree with this. How can SKY justify paying that amount of money to something that nobody watches? Quite simple really!

It also depends on the amount of sky sports subscribers there are from Scotland - if they pull out of a TV deal in Scotland, then this would have to be balanced against the amount of subscribers they would lose.

That could also open the door for BT Vision to increase it's UK market share if they replaced Sky.

Sky has treated Scottish football with disdain for years, which pisses me off no end given the amount Scottish households, pubs etc pay to Sky year on year.

I get where people are coming from with this thread, but we'll need the Sky money again when we're stockpiling funds for Europe and league pushes.

This isn't something to crow about.

Sky has treated Scottish football with disdain for years, which pisses me off no end given the amount Scottish households, pubs etc pay to Sky year on year.

I get where people are coming from with this thread, but we'll need the Sky money again when we're stockpiling funds for Europe and league pushes.

We are stock piling cash now. We have to get to a position where we can sustain our Great club by ourselves without relying on TV deals and Europe, these should be an extra bonus.

Well said (tu)

It also depends on the amount of sky sports subscribers there are from Scotland - if they pull out of a TV deal in Scotland, then this would have to be balanced against the amount of subscribers they would lose.

That could also open the door for BT Vision to increase it's UK market share if they replaced Sky.

10% (?) of SKY subscribers are from Scotland (roughly). But they are not watching the football that is on display. I bet more people watch the English leagues. So why support something that nobody wants? I dont think for a second that everyone would cancel their subscription purely because SKY ditch, or lower, the deal with Scottish Football.

We are stock piling cash now. We have to get to a position where we can sustain our Great club by ourselves without relying on TV deals and Europe, these should be an extra bonus.

every big club in world football has to rely on TV deals and Europe. Or would you prefer that when we are back at the top we don't have the means to compete in Europe?

There's no way we can stockpile the amount of money necessary to compete over the next few years and beyond without a strong TV deal.

10% (?) of SKY subscribers are from Scotland (roughly). But they are not watching the football that is on display. I bet more people watch the English leagues. So why support something that nobody wants? I dont think for a second that everyone would cancel their subscription purely because SKY ditch, or lower, the deal with Scottish Football.

I never said everyone in Scotland would cancel their subscription.

and this is good news ? How ? if Sky pull the plug it do we think they will rush back once we are back in the top league (or SPL or whatever) ? this will affect us as well....

No the real good news that he was keeping from us is that hes bringing a book out soon, im ecstatic

every big club in world football has to rely on TV deals and Europe. Or would you prefer that when we are back at the top we don't have the means to compete in Europe?

There's no way we can stockpile the amount of money necessary to compete over the next few years and beyond without a strong TV deal.

Are you forgeting Financial Fair-Play is coming in?