Lionel Messi of Barcelona sets new goal-scoring record

Galatasaray were beaten 7-1 on aggregate.

Omonia Nicosia were beaten 13-0 on aggregate.

HSV Barmbek-Uhlenhorst were beaten 11-1 on aggregate.

I don't know how many Muller scored in these matches.

Exactly and he played in a world class dominant Bayern side. Not sure how Messi's achievments can be downgraded due to opposition but Mullers isn't. Both are amazing in their own right.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact is, every great player's statistical achievements are padded by those achieved against weak opposition. If you only pay attention to those achievements, and not those against strong opposition, and furthermore if you only pay attention to statistics and not what you actually see with your eyes, then you are either an idiot or intellectually dishonest. And people seem more prepared to apply this idiocy or dishonesty to Messi than to other players we deem to be the greats.

Cool, but then I didn't actually say you should judge him by this goal record. In fact, I have already stated it's little more than an afterthought in my appraisal of Messi and his ability/stature. Perhaps if you feel like you're talking to a dunce it's because you're not actually paying attention.

In that case thank you for agreeing with me on the record, your posts amounted to nothing more than defending your mans honor. Messi's record is boring, almost as boring as this thread in which i'll play no further part, but not as boring as is fans and the medias constant Messi wankfest, it's truly nauseating.

In that case thank you for agreeing with me on the record, your posts amounted to nothing more than defending your mans honor. Messi's record is boring, almost as boring as this thread in which i'll play no further part, but not as boring as is fans and the medias constant Messi wankfest, it's truly nauseating.

No, my posts amounted to disputing your assertion that Messi's goal-scoring record in the Champions League knock-out stages in comparison to his league record proved his inadequacies. Because you were wrong. Emphatically so.

Put your toys back in the pram yourself after you've finished crying. Nobody is impressed.

The fact is, every great player's statistical achievements are padded by those achieved against weak opposition. If you only pay attention to those achievements, and not those against strong opposition, and furthermore if you only pay attention to statistics and not what you actually see with your eyes, then you are either an idiot or intellectually dishonest. And people seem more prepared to apply this idiocy or dishonesty to Messi than to other players we deem to be the greats.

Well said.

:lol:

Crackpot.

I thought Gerd Muller's quote was very good about his record being taken by the best player in the world which of course he never was

Now the world's best player Lionel Messi has broken it and I am happy for him. "Messi is an unbelievable player, a giant while also being a pleasant and rather reserved professional. Messi is fantastic - he has only one fault, he does not play for Bayern Munich :pipe:

This, can't stand messi and all the fucking fanboys.

The funny thing is, a lot of the people who have a go at "Messi fan boys" are Ronaldo fan boys.

i'm nobodies "fan boy". This thread highlights what these so called "fan boys" are like though. I said Messi's record is boring, (which it is), and is more a testament to the dominance of his club side than his own personal talent, (which it is) and i'm hounded out of town like the Beast in the Disney classic.

0.jpg

"he's downplaying the greatness of Messi" :lol:

i'm nobodies "fan boy". This thread highlights what these so called "fan boys" are like though. I said Messi's record is boring, (which it is), and is more a testament to the dominance of his club side than his own personal talent, (which it is) and i'm hounded out of town like the Beast in the Disney classic.

0.jpg

Most melodramatic post of the year! :D

0.jpg

Most of what you said earlier was nonsense, but to be fair this post is a belter :lol:

The day these records are broken by a player NOT in a dominant side will be a first.

My own take on this is there are arguments for Messi over Muller and arguments against. Offside being changed to suit the attacker. Penalties more easily won nowadays due to football being virtually a non contact sport at the top level. On the other hand defences are much better organised on the whole and general standard of goalies is higher.

I love these discussions.

How the fuck were Barcelone 'dominant' last season? :lol:

Finished second in the league, far behind Madrid and were dumped out the CL by Chelsea.

Celtic and rangers can both be dominant only one can win the league.barca and real are dominant in la liga and generally barca dominate every team they play possession wise.