We could expand Ibrox

tam watp

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We can't fill in the corners any more than we have. If you stand at the ticket office you can see the whole of the corner behind the screen is filled with load bearing steelwork that holds up the 3 new roofs and they would all have to be relocated which would be a huge job. The only show in town IMO is a new deck on the Govan which would also have the advantage over the corners of giving a better view.

Probably still a long way off though

We can't fill in the corners any more than we have. If you stand at the ticket office you can see the whole of the corner behind the screen is filled with load bearing steelwork that holds up the 3 new roofs and they would all have to be relocated which would be a huge job. The only show in town IMO is a new deck on the Govan which would also have the advantage over the corners of giving a better view.

Of course the corners can be filled. No problem at all. I will concede it would be more expensive per seat than a new club deck on the top of the Govan.

Of course the corners can be filled. No problem at all. I will concede it would be more expensive per seat than a new club deck on the top of the Govan.

Well anything is possible but the corners are full of load brearing steelwork that would all have to be moved so I can't see any reason to even think about going down that road ... unfortunately the artists impressions are the easy part of filling in the corners

Agreed, but if a club deck was to get built at the same time then the roof would have to come off the govan anyway so that would part of the problem solved. The new club deck would have cantilevers like the main stand club deck. The broomloan and Copland with new corners could possible be held up by structural work at each side of a new club deck and the cantilevers would hold it?

Also any structural work that has to be done to the outside of the stadium to expand wouldn't be as much of and issue as it was in the main stand. Obviously we don't want a big mess of steel work out side the stand, but it will be easier to design as we won't face the same issues that arose when doing main stand

Agreed, but if a club deck was to get built at the same time then the roof would have to come off the govan anyway so that would part of the problem solved. The new club deck would have cantilevers like the main stand club deck. The broomloan and Copland with new corners could possible be held up by structural work at each side of a new club deck and the cantilevers would hold it?

Also any structural work that has to be done to the outside of the stadium to expand wouldn't be as much of and issue as it was in the main stand. Obviously we don't want a big mess of steel work out side the stand, but it will be easier to design as we won't face the same issues that arose when doing main stand

I think the problem is the roofs on the Bromloan and Copland would also have to be removed and replaced with cantilevered ones too. If their supports at the sides were left you just wouldn't get the capacity in the corners to make the job worthwhile

I think the problem is the roofs on the Bromloan and Copland would also have to be removed and replaced with cantilevered ones too. If their supports at the sides were left you just wouldn't get the capacity in the corners to make the job worthwhile

We could get a crane structure like the Westfalen done in there corners. However I don't know what kinda money is involved in that. I just wish the corners had been filled before they put those screens in! Obviously it can be done but it depends if it is cost effective. As I have said before maybe do another debenture scheme to help fund a new club deck, but with people still raw about losing their bonds recently this may have to wait a while before people part with serious cash for a seat

I reckon we remove the roof, fill the corners and wrap a tier right round the 3 stands!! Then get some Art Deco glass and brick frontage round the 3 stands to match up with the main stand and the staircases.

A beautiful historical elegant football ground for the outside, and massive modern masterpiece inside!

I can only dream

Is there no tech whiz kids in here?? Would love to see a mock up of that

We could get a crane structure like the Westfalen done in there corners. However I don't know what kinda money is involved in that. I just wish the corners had been filled before they put those screens in! Obviously it can be done but it depends if it is cost effective. As I have said before maybe do another debenture scheme to help fund a new club deck, but with people still raw about losing their bonds recently this may have to wait a while before people part with serious cash for a seat

I reckon we remove the roof, fill the corners and wrap a tier right round the 3 stands!! Then get some Art Deco glass and brick frontage round the 3 stands to match up with the main stand and the staircases.

A beautiful historical elegant football ground for the outside, and massive modern masterpiece inside!

I can only dream

Is there no tech whiz kids in here?? Would love to see a mock up of that

Well anything is possible but the corners are full of load brearing steelwork that would all have to be moved so I can't see any reason to even think about going down that road ... unfortunately the artists impressions are the easy part of filling in the corners

There a number ways to support the roof structure than the current set up. Hanging it in the way it has been done at old trafford is the one that comes to mind.

There a number ways to support the roof structure than the current set up. Hanging it in the way it has been done at old trafford is the one that comes to mind.

I've just been looking at the old Trafford expansion pictures there!

Yes it could be done like OT no problem. The main stand had to be done in a certain way that nothing touched the brick work so to speak, but the other 3 stands don't have that problem. I really don't think putting a tier on the govan would be to much of a problem. It would be done in a more conventional way than the main stand, so I doing think it would cost crazy money to do it. Say it holds 7000 with average ST being £300 That is over 2 mil a season.

Anyone hazard a guess at a price to do the work??

It's almost 40 years since the "new" stands were designed, there must have been significant advances in engineering in that time. The "goalpost" design that was used for the Ibrox redevelopment has never been used for years, it's all about cantilevers and sweeping lines with filled in corners.

Club Deck holds 7300 so something similar on the Govan will take the capacity to around 58500. The whole scheme would mean taking the rooves off the Copland, Govan and Broomloan and relacing them with new structures. Filling GEC and GWC would add around 6000 so we are looking at 64-65k. I would like to see the Copland replaced with a Kop type stand at the same time taking the capacity to around 70k. Would also like to see the new roof over the Broomloan capable of accommodating a third tier if ever needed.

Personally i cant see season tickets dramatically rising? Have we ever had more than 40k? 9iar did we have 42k one season?

If we can get out of Scotland and into England i think we could sell 50k season tickets no problem...really cant see that while in Scotland.

One thing never raised is pioneering a return to standing. Bring back the enclosures. The demand is there, it works in Germany and if the cost if cheaper it helps encourage the young team to come (as shown by this season)

The powers at be in this country have said that if safe standing was to be introduced then it would be 1 standing place for 1 seat. No increase in capacity

If it's possible to build a 3rd tier on the govan stand then surely the Copland and broomloan ends must be able to have one too

I think Charlie boy is just making sure that the name of Rangers FC is being kept in newsworthy headlines.There are a few problems with his idea of giving us a bigger capacity. The obvious one is the structural challenge of the two corners,which to be changed is not insurmountable,but very costly.

The second problem while not so obvious, is actually more difficult than the corners. To build another tier on the Govan will mean that either the sideline will have to be moved in by 8 metres OR the fans who sit up there won't be able to see any action down that side of the pitch.

When Souness arrived at Ibrox, he demanded that the Main Stand touchline be moved inwards by 2 metres from the original to narrow the pitch. Then when the club deck was built, the sideline had to be moved in another 6 metres so that people could see what was happening down that side.

At the moment our pitch is about 68.5 metres (75 yards) so if we took 6 metres off it for example, our pitch would end up being 62.5 metres wide (68.5 yards) which in comparison would be 1.5 yards narrower than the grounds of Berwick Rangers, Peterhead, or Montrose.

It's almost 40 years since the "new" stands were designed, there must have been significant advances in engineering in that time. The "goalpost" design that was used for the Ibrox redevelopment has never been used for years, it's all about cantilevers and sweeping lines with filled in corners.

I think the problem at the time that the new Ibrox was built was that football attendances all over the world had been falling for the previous 40 years and so you can understand why future expansion was the last thing in peoples minds. Unfortunately the goal post design is the last one you would use if you were looking at eventually filling in the corners