CRO - Not So Super

billmcmurdo

Telling Ally McCoist how to coach his players is like telling Andy Murray how to serve. Unless you are a fellow professional, any advice offered then may seem a little ridiculous.

But we all have opinions and those who know a little about the Rangers Football Club will be aware that the footballing performances from his players are well below average. The 1-1 draw with Montrose at Ibrox on Saturday is merely another example.

- Match report: Rangers 1-1 Montrose

Of course there is not a single Rangers fan out there who does not understand the problems he has faced, but while this is a valid excuse for comparisons to previous Ibrox squads, in relation to the many part-timers (or amateurs) in the rest of the fourth-tier it is not.

Anything can happen in an individual match, but you are kidding yourself if you think this team has given the quality that their wages and status demand. Yes, demand. If an average of 46,000 fans are turning out every week to support them -- many of whom are on thousands of pounds a week to play in the best stadium in Scotland -- then the least anyone deserves is full effort.

It's simply not good enough and this is where McCoist needs to earn his corn. Never mind tactics, formations and all the rest of the technical stuff discussed on these pages over the past weeks and months. There is no way these players are doing their utmost on the pitch and the manager needs to acknowledge and stamp it out.

It's therefore positive to see McCoist not messing about after the match. He said, "I'm probably as angry as I've ever been -- certainly as a manager -- with that performance. I'm not even interested about Montrose's wonder goal with two minutes to go. You could absolutely see it coming. Our overall performance was not good enough and our standard of finishing was probably worse than that. The players had better switch on or they'll be completely switched off.

Today just told me I was right in that I knew where we were, effectively. The result next week [against Dundee United] won't tell me anything I don't already know. This match confirmed where I thought we were. I would hope today's level of performance will act as a wake-up call for a lot of the players, not even just one or two."

Far from being depressing, this is an encouraging response. The only issue is his belief that it should be a wake-up call now, when it was obvious months ago. The players should be ashamed that teams full of postmen or scaffolders consistently look like they deserve to be on the same pitch.

There can be no more excuses and McCoist needs to be ruthless. Charles Green has said the club is still operating at a loss and value for money is crucial. Bloated wages for mediocrity should no longer be acceptable.

This is not the end of the world. The Rangers management will be judged when they have their own team without restrictions. They needed to win promotion and they will do it, but reservations over their ability to lead the club onto greater things still remain open to question. Being the best of the best has always been the Light Blues’ goal, not just a bit better than the worst.

Should add by John Gow ESPN

Back at Headquarters we said, me and another 70 year old give or take 10 years how many fans were saying thay today and not for the first time this season ! SEE ABOVE !

Wishywashy article. Why not come out and say what most of us know, Super is not a manager.

Thank fuck no one listened to the Ibrox chants when Ally started his playing career at Rangers.

His management career will mirror that as a player - inconsistent start and much glory to follow.

I'm right behind the man.

I have always had my Doubts about Super as a Manager , and I don't want to see a JG situation occur with him.Came through that Period and it worries me .

I Pray he can start to get the Team Playing with Cohesion and Skill that we are and hope to be used to , but his Tactical awareness and Industry in Forward attacking Football isn't there at the Moment .

I don't think he has the Correct Coaching Staff behind him to be Honest think he needs help , however I think he has Time to get a Proper Team to Gel, and have a Football Style that can take us to the Top again. This is another Reason why we should not be Shoe horned into the Top League.

I am Worried for him as there are big Money Players letting him down.

Ally is a Legend , Manager I just don't know .

Agree with all of this.

I tend to trust that Kenny McDowell has the experience and knowledge required. But I cannot understand exactly what expertise Durranty brings to the table. Great player in the past, but so what? That actually counts for nothing.

Wishywashy article. Why not come out and say what most of us know, Super is not a manager.

I totally agree. I have read the article twice in case I had misunderstood something, but no, it is wishy washy. Almost criticism but then pulls back just at the end sort of thing.

Every Gers fan wanted Ally to succeed, even though he had no real experience. It is plain to every fair-minded person that it simply isn't working.

If anyone can highlight the plus points to Ally's football management ability I'm sure everyone will be pleased to read them,

Most people are afraid to criticise Ally simply because of the last year's events, nothing to do with his managerial ability.

If it hadn't been for our predicament, Ally would have been removed long before now.

See my post above this one....I agree their are some over reactions however as bill says in his piece this assumption that to be loyal means you shouldn't expect more or have genuine concerns is just as unhelpful...

What I dont understand is what this 'concern' is based on? Ally (as you yourself have pointed out) lost 26 players in the summer - quite a few of our players only joined in the last few days of the last transfer window,

We are romping this league (minimum expected) but until Ally gets at least 2 transfer windows to shape this squad I think he has done more than enought to warrant the loyalty of the fans and our patience to be given the time to see where he can take us. It would take any manager 2 - 3 seasons to mold this squad and Ally has done (IMHO) more than enough to warrant that time and our loyalty!

What I dont understand is what this 'concern' is based on? Ally (as you yourself have pointed out) lost 26 players in the summer - quite a few of our players only joined in the last few days of the last transfer window,

We are romping this league (minimum expected) but until Ally gets at least 2 transfer windows to shape this squad I think he has done more than enought to warrant the loyalty of the fans and our patience to be given the time to see where he can take us. It would take any manager 2 - 3 seasons to mold this squad and Ally has done (IMHO) more than enough to warrant that time and our loyalty!

I agree that he does need the time to shape his team and that's why I am not calling for his head....if you read the article you will see its about extreme opinions....some are demanding ally go now (overly negative) and some like yourself are saying there is nothing wrong/no concerns (overly positive.

Now you asked about concerns and in my opinion they are; our style and temp of play is very poor, we struggle to move the ball quickly and accurately, the development of our youngsters is being stunted by the way they are being asked to play (no freedom to play expressively), we have a clear issue down our right side that has not been adreessed, we are paying big money to players who look disinterested, I have doubts and questions over ally's team selections and changes, our fitness levels look very poor, our players and fans seem to give excuses for every bad performance or result, we are still playing players out of position to often, we are a full time team with experienced SPL and international players and struggle to grind out wins against part time players.

Now having said all of that I do still think ally can change that and he should be given time but If you honestly think nothing's wrong and you are just happy we are top of the third division then I'd like a shot of what your on.

I agree that he does need the time to shape his team and that's why I am not calling for his head....if you read the article you will see its about extreme opinions....some are demanding ally go now (overly negative) and some like yourself are saying there is nothing wrong/no concerns (overly positive.

Now you asked about concerns and in my opinion they are; our style and temp of play is very poor, we struggle to move the ball quickly and accurately, the development of our youngsters is being stunted by the way they are being asked to play (no freedom to play expressively), we have a clear issue down our right side that has not been adreessed, we are paying big money to players who look disinterested, I have doubts and questions over ally's team selections and changes, our fitness levels look very poor, our players and fans seem to give excuses for every bad performance or result, we are still playing players out of position to often, we are a full time team with experienced SPL and international players and struggle to grind out wins against part time players.

Now having said all of that I do still think ally can change that and he should be given time but If you honestly think nothing's wrong and you are just happy we are top of the third division then I'd like a shot of what your on.

First I dont think I am at the extreme - I dont think supporting the manager is extreme, I think its a realisation of where we are and what little can be done. We had to cobble together a squad and we have NO opportunity to go out and strengthen the squad and no depth to the squad. In fact I am surprised that any fan gives no acknowledgement to these facts.

Now looking at your arguments - lets assume there is an issue on the right hand side ? (which I disagree with) what does the manager do? - Little has good defensive qualities. good stamina and speed and works hard out there (and contributes a good number of goals from there) - yesterday in the second half he played Little up top andTempleton wide and I saw nothing that says that was better than Little there - also if the issue is at the back we cant go out to the market to get a new RB so we have to work on and develop what we have - which Ally is doing.

I just totally disagree with your onts on fitness and attitude BUT evenifyou were correct on attitude that can only be sharpened with competition and depth of squad neither of which we have no can address tillat least Sept 1st and most likely next January. I didnot see any of out players flagging fitness wise so we just have to disaree on that.

It is fans who think that we Ally has the same resources at his beck and call as previous managers, and whom thing the SFL3 is easy and that building a squad when you cant replace players / strengthen squads that carry little knowledge of the game (IMHO).

First I dont think I am at the extreme - I dont think supporting the manager is extreme, I think its a realisation of where we are and what little can be done. We had to cobble together a squad and we have NO opportunity to go out and strengthen the squad and no depth to the squad. In fact I am surprised that any fan gives no acknowledgement to these facts.

Now looking at your arguments - lets assume there is an issue on the right hand side ? (which I disagree with) what does the manager do? - Little has good defensive qualities. good stamina and speed and works hard out there (and contributes a good number of goals from there) - yesterday in the second half he played Little up top andTempleton wide and I saw nothing that says that was better than Little there - also if the issue is at the back we cant go out to the market to get a new RB so we have to work on and develop what we have - which Ally is doing.

I just totally disagree with your onts on fitness and attitude BUT evenifyou were correct on attitude that can only be sharpened with competition and depth of squad neither of which we have no can address tillat least Sept 1st and most likely next January. I didnot see any of out players flagging fitness wise so we just have to disaree on that.

It is fans who think that we Ally has the same resources at his beck and call as previous managers, and whom thing the SFL3 is easy and that building a squad when you cant replace players / strengthen squads that carry little knowledge of the game (IMHO).

Alot of fair points there but I think the reasoned fans who have concerns accept that it has been a difficult situation for ally and the players to adapt to as well as they accept he had to sign players under very difficult circumstances.

Ally doesn't have the same resources as previous rangers managers but then again he is not competing against anywhere near the same standard of opponent as previous rangers managers. I don't think attitude should only be sharpened by competition...playing for rangers should give you that sharpness regardless.

The problem I have with the change he made putting little up top was he took Templeton away from his partnership with Wallace that was our main attacking outlet in the first half....hegarty is not a right back...we have a right back there, he's not the best but he does offer balance. We need to sharpen up in a variety of areas....our tempo and attitude has to improve or those in the anti ally minority will get louder and louder.

Alot of fair points there but I think the reasoned fans who have concerns accept that it has been a difficult situation for ally and the players to adapt to as well as they accept he had to sign players under very difficult circumstances.

Ally doesn't have the same resources as previous rangers managers but then again he is not competing against anywhere near the same standard of opponent as previous rangers managers. I don't think attitude should only be sharpened by competition...playing for rangers should give you that sharpness regardless.

The problem I have with the change he made putting little up top was he took Templeton away from his partnership with Wallace that was our main attacking outlet in the first half....hegarty is not a right back...we have a right back there, he's not the best but he does offer balance. We need to sharpen up in a variety of areas....our tempo and attitude has to improve or those in the anti ally minority will get louder and louder.

Your last point: Sometimes you just have to trust the manager - if he is playing hegarty instead of ANY one else = it must be either because he thinks he is a better right back than others available or can develop in that area.

The first 25 minutes yesterday I thought we wereplaying good high temo football - and again inthe second half - I thought we should have scored a barrowload so I dont really agree on the tempo - the finishing was woeful and on a different day we will convert those chances.

I am actually on the verge of calling for the op to stop posting on here tbh. Stirring up shit amongst a support who does not need it.

I was just about to post the same. Every day he is in here posting links to his pishy blog thinking we're all choking to read his blog.

Bill, fuck off with your self inflating spamming of RM.

If we were that interested in what you have to say, we're more than capable of finding your blog ourselves.

Could the payers’ heads not have been in the game because of Dundee Hibs is coming up soon? It is our biggest game of the year so far.

That is yet another excuse offered for our poor performances...if yesterday was a one off there may be some substance in that (albeit it should have the opposite effect) but the standard of our play has been poor for over a month now.

That is yet another excuse offered for our poor performances...if yesterday was a one off there may be some substance in that (albeit it should have the opposite effect) but the standard of our play has been poor for over a month now.

We've known this game was approaching for over a month now.

I was just about to post the same. Every day he is in here posting links to his pishy blog thinking we're all choking to read his blog.

Bill, fuck off with your self inflating spamming of RM.

If we were that interested in what you have to say, we're more than capable of finding your blog ourselves.

It's not my blog

CRO have an open invitation to post our articles on RM and we appreciate this

We also link back to RM on our site and actively promote RM initiatives

If you don't like any articles you are free to comment and of course have the democratic right to not read them at all

I quoted you, of course it's not serious.

I've tried to give you the benefit of the doubt but you continually resort to sarcasm, smart arse remarks and belittling others and its pathetic. By all means have an opinion but express it...don't hide behind sarcasm and think that those who voice concerns are lesser fans than you because they are absolutely not!

Oh and just to assume you were being serious to say that professional players have been performing so badly because they are looking ahead to a game a month away is an embarrassing statement to make.