I'm Here To Win Trophies J Daly Interview

http://www.rangers.c...to-win-trophies

NEW recruit Jon Daly says he has come to Rangers to win trophies – and he’s looking for major honours as well as SFL titles.

The forward has agreed a two-year deal which kicks in once the club’s transfer embargo ends in September.

All being well, that means his contract will take him up to the point when Gers hope to have won promotion back to the top flight of Scottish football.

Daly clearly hopes to win himself an extended stay in Glasgow beyond then so that he can represent Gers at the highest level over time.

In the meantime, he is focused on winning the Second Division next term – but sees no reason why his new team can’t compete for the Scottish Cup and the League Cup too.

Daly actually helped to knock the 54-times Scottish champions out of that first event in 2012/13, scoring the second goal as his old side Dundee United won 3-0 at Tannadice.

The feeling prior to that match amongst many was that Rangers could edge into the latter stages of the competition.

While that wasn’t the case, Daly believes with the standard of signings being made by Ally McCoist that that could change soon enough.

He said: “I’ve obviously come here to win trophies and medals and first of all we want to get out of the Second Division but a good cup run is obviously essential as well.

“When we played Rangers this season with United we got off to an unbelievable start, scoring after 10 seconds or so.

“That can knock the wind out of your sails and that was maybe the case for Rangers a little but apart from that it was a really close game.

“With the additions to the squad this summer, our team will become stronger and hopefully and go on to win the title and maybe challenge in cups as well.”

Although older than many of the players already at Ibrox, Daly is still just 30 and he brings valuable experience to the squad many of the younger players will learn from.

That’s something which excites the attacker, who previously played in England with Stockport County, Bury, Grimsby and Hartlepool.

Daly added: “Obviously I’m a little bit older than some of the lads in the dressing room and Nicky Law and Cammy Bell who are coming in too are the same.

“Hopefully we can help the young boys to develop a bit more. I’ve had a similar situation already at Dundee United in the last couple of seasons.

“We’ve had lads such as David Goodwillie, Scott Allan, Johnny Russell and Stuart Armstrong to help nurture.

“I’m well used to helping and encouraging the younger boys and that’s the type of character I am. I’m not going to get on their backs as I don’t think that helps them.

“We need to let them play and if I can help the young players coming through at Rangers in any way I will do.”

JON DALY admits his heart was set on joining Rangers as soon as he had discussed the possibility of switching to the Light Blues with Ally McCoist.

The striker, 30, has agreed a two-year deal with the Ibrox outfit which will be effective from September 1 when the club’s transfer embargo comes to an end.

Daly’s move to Ibrox on a Bosman transfer from Dundee United has been mooted for a number of weeks.

And he has revealed there was only place he wanted to play his football once he has spoken to manager McCoist.

Speaking exclusively to RangersTV, Daly said: “I’ve a lot of time for Ally and his coaching staff and to go on to play for them is a big thing.

“When we met for the first time, I could see the passion the manager has for the club and he really wants to drive it forward.

“He spoke to me about the crowds and the club’s history and once we’d had a chat, my mind was basically made up.

“I didn’t really want my agent to speak to any other clubs, I wanted to try to get this deal over the line and thankfully that has happened.

"Having spoken to Ally, there's no doubt where I want to play my football and I'm really excited about what lies ahead.

“I’ve taken a step back in terms of the level of football I’ll be playing but in terms of club size, Rangers are massive.

“There’s a huge fanbase and when the chance came up to come here it was a no-brainer for me. It was a challenge I wanted to take on.”

Daly scored 15 goals for United last season including one in the Scottish Cup against Rangers and two more against Celtic in the semi-finals of the competition.

McCoist has brought him in primarily to play up front although he is adaptable and can operate as a centre-half too.

Daly added: “I think the manager has brought me in first and foremost as a striker but I’m here to play football.

“If that’s at the back as well that’s fine and that obviously adds an extra string to my bow if I can play in two positions.

“It gives the manager options if he’s struggling at centre-back. I’m open to playing anywhere, I just want to play football for Rangers. If that’s at the back of up front I’m happy.”

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good interview but i think hes being a bit tactful when he says that our game against DU was close, it was not they battered us and thats a fact, but anyway welcome big man, pull yourself a pint of Blackthorn and get to the nearest Nandos for a cracking good time with the lads :D

Dicko will go mental

As mentioned yesterday, he will just go up my to do list......very close to breaking into the top 3.

You finding it strange that the three latest signings have basically said word for word about signing for Ally.........now as you well know I am never one to court controversy but.........................very very strange hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

We all know Ally has the gift of the gab but this is good man management me thinks.

Fair enough, unless they had to read from a prearranged script :matron: or they never saw many of our games last season :7325:

Sunny sunny Saturday in the backgarden chicken cooking away nice bit of sole wrapped in foil with butter and herbs on the barbie(no not the doll) , chilled Budvar on call and still the Good Old Glasgow Banter shines through , even a 157 miles north of Glasgow :7325:

This guy already makes my skin crawl...absolute bollocks, here for cash nothing else. Where's tommy the taxi driver when you need him?

How the fuck can you take that view from that interview??? Maybe your mind was already made up?

Do you know how much the Championship clubs are paying? Here for the money,my arse.

Hope you like humble pie cos,methinks,you'll be tucking in soon enough.

This guy already makes my skin crawl...absolute bollocks, here for cash nothing else. Where's tommy the taxi driver when you need him?

I have the opposite view, I think he will encourage our younger players, help them develop in confidence, plus instill a professional work ethic. I am hoping this signing will prove as successful as when we signed David Weir. Cannot wait to get behind the Team.

Shouldn't be anywhere near Ibrox but not the players fault. We need to look to history to move forward not make matters worse by signing the likes of Daly

Look in the mirror & ask yourselves honestly what some of the great Rangers men would make of this particular signing.... and yet we are supposed to buy in to it?

Not on your nelly

Shouldn't be anywhere near Ibrox but not the players fault. We need to look to history to move forward not make matters worse by signing the likes of Daly

Look in the mirror & ask yourselves honestly what some of the great Rangers men would make of this particular signing.... and yet we are supposed to buy in to it?

Not on your nelly

They'd say: There is the Rangers spirit, not excluding a single color creed or ethos; unlike our unwashed bigoted fascist neighbors.

I can't say that Daly would have been my first choice or perhaps even my 10th but he is here and I guess I will give him a chance however he has said a number of odd statements in the last few days that in all honestly aren't winning me over Jon, firstly

“...I’ve taken a step back in terms of the level of football I’ll be playing..."

Jon you played for DUFC, not Barcelona

Then yesterday I read

"...The ambition is to play in front of 45,000 to 50,000 fans every second week, you don't get in Scotland unless you play for Celtic."

Was it necessary to bring them into it Jon, we aren't Celtic's biggest fans, if you wanted to go there you should have given Neil a call :/

Hmm we shall see how he does?

Well the guy has the right attitude so fair play to him.

If these guys mean what they say then things will look better for us this coming season.

I am cautiously excited by the prospect of some decent football.

Sandaza had similar things to say when he signed...look how that worked out! This is a mistake waiting to happen

People on here seem to be getting mixed up between the plastic Irish in Glasgow and the real ones in Dublin,as someone who has spent a lot of time in both city's they couldn't be more different.. NONE of my family and friends in Dublin support them NONE,nor do any of them support the ira,the exact opposite in fact,nor do any of the people they have introduced me too support them!

The bheast from the east has told many lies in their time,the biggest for me was that everyone in the South supports them,they don't! I know that people who do support both exist,I've read them on twitter,but on a day to day basis I dont meet them in Dublin,I do in Glasgow.

We had people who supported us,playing for us last year,they didn't want to sign for our club's new company,they f*cked off!.A year later a boy from Dublin does,he'll do for me!.