McMurdo hits the nail on the head

AlCapone

http://billmcmurdo.wordpress.com/

123 years of history were flushed down the toilet yesterday as the SFL clubs caved in to pressure to “merge” with the Lawwell-controlled SPL.

It wasn’t that change didn’t need to happen nor even that such a merger wasn’t a good idea – it is the manner in which the SPL cabal have steamrollered all opposition, forcing SFL President Jim Ballantyne to say: “This is a takeover and not a merger. The SPL has swallowed us up. They can use nice words about it – but it’s a takeover.

“The SFL has had to be a casualty. The SFL is the one which has had to take the hit and I’m very sad about that.”

The real tragedy about this takeover is that there was no input to the proceedings nor opposition from Scotland’s biggest club; only, it would seem, meek compliance and acceptance. It is hard to believe such a stance would have been taken if swashbuckling Charles Green had still been CEO at Ibrox.

My understanding is that Rangers will accept their place of powerlessness in the new set-up and the old days of dignified silence will be the norm once more.

Instead of hitting out at the cabal, there are likely to be further self-destructive attempts to discredit and smear certain people in the ongoing Civil War at Ibrox.

Strong rumours still persist that certain people on the board are planning to topple Craig Mather and bring back the deeply unpopular Martin Bain.

Should this prove to be true, I would expect a massive backlash from fans who are already sickened at the board’s determination to pursue a path leading to disintegration through bitter infighting rather than launch a robust defence against the club’s enemies.

Make no mistake. The cabal have won the battle for control of Scottish football.

And Rangers directors squabbling out of self-interest and pettiness have let the cabal win.

Many Rangers fans are sickened and disgusted this morning, waking up to the reality that Scottish football is now completely dominated by a coterie of people who mean Rangers real harm.

These people will stop at nothing to keep Rangers under their heel while all the time milking the club’s commercial value for their own ends.

Of course, the one man who could have opposed the cabal was effectively silenced and conveniently removed at just the right time.

A coincidence?

Maybe in one of Peter Lawwell’s parallel universes…

I have no doubt that there will be those at Ibrox who will take the view that all Rangers have to do now is just do their talking on the pitch and work back to the top flight.

This is true but only if Uncle Peter lets them.

Rangers are now ring-fenced in Scottish football with no ruling body to protect the club.

Me, I’m not expecting the witch-hunt to abate.

In fact, it’s only just begun.

Share this:

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some fair points but I'd contend we lack a suitable board as a whole - rather than just one person. RFC has been weak for years on that front and, ultimately, Charles Green, via his appointments, failed to change that.

i dont think we let them win, at this moment in time as an associate member we simply have no voice in the voting structure, there is very little we could have done to change anything. Even CG, vocal as he was, could have done little. Our hands are tied.

Agree with him on one point though: - One club - Celtic - now utterly control Scottish Football in a way that has never been seen in Scotland before and I believe we are firmly in the cross hairs.

I hope Craig Whyte burns in hell.

Some fair points but I'd contend we lack a suitable board as a whole - rather than just one person. RFC has been weak for years on that front and, ultimately, Charles Green, via his appointments, failed to change that.

Weak board or not, the real power lies with Rangers fans to keep the blue pound within Ibrox. If the Rangers fans are as gutless as the board then we will have to accept the SFA/SPL and bow down to the cabal.

Weak board or not, the real power lies with Rangers fans to keep the blue pound within Ibrox. If the Rangers fans are as gutless as the board then we will have to accept the SFA/SPL and bow down to the cabal.

Our fans are more intent in slagging each other off.

That will be the same Rangers fans that havent bothered their arses to sign the HMRC petition, spineless with no awareness of the large picture.

We really are a pathetic bunch who make it so easy for our haters

Do you not think that CG had more to do than change a board that he had only just put together......................perhaps certain people given the cherished position of being on the board did not go on for the right reasons.

Was it CG who called for MM to go? So if you accept that he did, then surely he had noticed a weakness and was moving towards looking at the board.

His main job was to get commercial deals in asap.............and do you believe he succeeded in this? So the boardroom issues when did they start and what sparked them off.......ws it Walter coming on the board........and could it have also been CG remarks as to the state of the football our manager seemed happy to move forward with..............perhaps CG made that comment knowing the poor football would result in a reduction in season book sales, perhaps in a result of commercial income.

So really accusing him of failing to change the board..............more important issues needed to be sorted and as i mention if you accept he tried to remove MM months ago he realised things needed changing.

I am sorry if you can't understand my post as you seem to have difficulties in that department or are you merely following the the fury snide jibes as one or two others do.

I find it very hard to believe that anyone on that board would want Bain back.

It would greatly concern me if this was even mooted as it would indicate board members who are so far out of touch with fans feelings and what's good for the club, they'd need the space shuttle to get back.

Bain did nothing of any use at Rangers, other than help the other Rangers men get rid of that big pile of cash lying about.

I don't know of anyone who wants baldy back.

If we were on the SPL we would have voted this through.

Scottish football used to be run by us and them and due to where we are they have a strangle hold. This will change once were back on top.

I think there is also a bit of scaremongering going on in regards to Bain.

I find it very hard to believe that anyone on that board would want Bain back.

It would greatly concern me if this was even mooted as it would indicate board members who are so far out of touch with fans feelings and what's good for the club, they'd need the space shuttle to get back.

Bain did nothing of any use at Rangers, other than help the other Rangers men get rid of that big pile of cash lying about.

I don't know of anyone who wants baldy back.

Was very close to WS and our manager, I firmly believe they would be delighted to have him back

Do you not think that CG had more to do than change a board that he had only just put together......................perhaps certain people given the cherished position of being on the board did not go on for the right reasons.

Was it CG who called for MM to go? So if you accept that he did, then surely he had noticed a weakness and was moving towards looking at the board.

His main job was to get commercial deals in asap.............and do you believe he succeeded in this? So the boardroom issues when did they start and what sparked them off.......ws it Walter coming on the board........and could it have also been CG remarks as to the state of the football our manager seemed happy to move forward with..............perhaps CG made that comment knowing the poor football would result in a reduction in season book sales, perhaps in a result of commercial income.

So really accusing him of failing to change the board..............more important issues needed to be sorted and as i mention if you accept he tried to remove MM months ago he realised things needed changing.

I am sorry if you can't understand my post as you seem to have difficulties in that department or are you merely following the the fury snide jibes as one or two others do.

I wouldn't disagree with that, which tells me that there are people inside and outside of Ibrox that were in collusion to scupper any progression of Rangers with CG. Why? because rangers are the backbone of Scottish football and total control of Rangers secures the financial model and control of our game.

The idea of someone new coming in and telling both the real Rangers men and the SFA/SPL the truth was too much for them to accept, so they both together killed off CG and are at this moment finishing off the job with the rest of the board.

Like I said in a earlier post, the fans are the only body with real power, if they don't use it Rangers will be at the mercy of the cabal and I agree with bill they are not finished with us yet.

No-one apart from Walter "the great Rangers man who only makes decisions in Rangers' best interest" Smith, you mean?

I've heard a few folk suggest Walter mentioned his name over CEO discussions. I've not had that confirmed by anyone I know. In any event, like I say, any time I've brought up Bain, people just say no chance so I can't see how anyone relevant would think Bain would be suitable.

It maybe the case that Bill's source is just wrong again.

It's not so much about now, as about their behaviour over the last year.

http://billmcmurdo.wordpress.com/

The real tragedy about this takeover is that there was no input to the proceedings nor opposition from Scotland’s biggest club;

I was referring to Bill's piece in the OP about THIS takeover, nothing else. I agree with pretty much everything else he wrote.

So that reply leads us to believe you are a mover and shaker, so who on the board do you know?

I don't know anyone on the board. And I'm certainly no move and shaker.

However, from the variety of fans I do speak with - either on or offline and from different backgrounds - none have said, bugger me, Bain's a great suggestion. None.