Midfield for next season...

graeme_4

We have quite a number of midfielders in the squad now, so I'm interested to see how Ally lines us up in this area next year. Definitely a few selection headaches for him I think with a massive squad of midfielders...

DMs:

• Black
  • Pertela
  • Hutton
  • McAusland
  • Faure

CMs:

• Mcleod
  • Law
  • Crawford

AMs:

• Shiels
  • McKay

'Natural' Wingers (no shoe horning Stevie Smith in here!):

• Templeton
  • Aird

Guys Ally likes on the wing, but are centre forwards:

• Little

All depends on our formation really, I don't think that we need a holding midfielder and would like to see us really pushing forward rather than protecting backline.

I'd like to think Ally will go with:

Law McLeod

Little (or an actual RW) Templeton

and then 2 centre forwards.

Maybe in the cups against better opposition go with 1 up top and play...

Black or Pertela (if he's any good)

Law McLeod

Little (or an actual RW) Templeton

I think Aird will get a good amount of game time, particularly with Templetons recent injury record, however, it does leave us with a number of midfielders that don't really seem to fit the formation (i.e. McKay and Shiels) and that just don't look likely to get in the squad nevermind get a start. Should be interesting to see if any of them are moved on or sent out on loan in guys like Crawford and McAuslands cases as I do think they have something to offer.

Need to see Peralta play. We might need him in the centre of the park for a bit of bite. I personally think Aird is set for a breakthrough season, have a feeling hes really going to kick on.

4-4-2 i would like to see.

Templeton - Mcloed/Law - Peralta/Law - Aird (Depending on team etc)

4-2-3-1 i would like to see.

Peralta - Law

Templeton - MacLoed - Aird

I'm convinced ally's favoured formation next year will be 4-1-3-2 which you could argue limits us in the wide areas but will allow Wallace and foster to bomb forward with the DM able to shift across and cover....

Alot can change before the 1st of September and its encouraging to hear Hutton is really pushing himself. No idea what perralta will be like in Scottish football but I would imagine our 1st choice midfield won't be too far away from;

Perralta

Law. Macleod. Templeton

Good options though....if we sort out our defence we should be looking good!

I'm convinced ally's favoured formation next year will be 4-1-3-2 which you could argue limits us in the wide areas but will allow Wallace and foster to bomb forward with the DM able to shift across and cover....

Alot can change before the 1st of September and its encouraging to hear Hutton is really pushing himself. No idea what perralta will be like in Scottish football but I would imagine our 1st choice midfield won't be too far away from;

Perralta

Law. Macleod. Templeton

Good options though....if we sort out our defence we should be looking good!

It's looking like we are going to go 4-1-3-2 this season, but quite a few variables will determine who the '3' are?

If Jig plays CD, that will free up the CDM slot, because I think if he doesn't play in CD he will play there for us, no-one knows much about Peralta either.

I assume/hope that Macleod will start, probably alongside Law and Templeton.

That really leaves 2 alternative midefield dependant on whether JIG plays CD or not.

The 3 names above with either Jig or Black sitting behind them.

Not looking good for Hutton, Aird, Crawford, Shiels, McKay, Little

It's looking like we are going to go 4-1-3-2 this season, but quite a few variables will determine who the '3' are?

If Jig plays CD, that will free up the CDM slot, because I think if he doesn't play in CD he will play there for us, no-one knows much about Peralta either.

I assume/hope that Macleod will start, probably alongside Law and Templeton.

That really leaves 2 alternative midefield dependant on whether JIG plays CD or not.

The 3 names above with either Jig or Black sitting behind them.

Not looking good for Hutton, Aird, Crawford, Shiels, McKay, Little

I think McKay and aird will provide predominantly an option from the bench to change things or wide options should he revert to a 4-4-2....after sept 1st I would send wee Crawford out on loan because what he needs more than anything is a run of games....Hutton seems to be really focused and may be pushing ahead if black as the preferred option....I think he will be in and about the squad if he starts the season well....little will challenge Clark to partner daly...the one who seems to be the odd man out for me is sheils....neither if these formations really suit his game and I would be too surprised to see him move on....

Personally I think Shiels would do well as one of the 3 in a 4-1-3-2.

Which I agree will likely be our main formation this season. I see Black occupying the DM role as he's openly stated he feels more comfortable in that position than bombing forward as he was asked to do a lot last season. Then with the likes of Law, Macleod, Shiels, Templeton, Aird, McKay and Little all vying for spots in the 3 supporting the front two.

My own preference:

Black

Law - Macleod - Templeton

Having a large squad this season won't just benefit us incase of injuries, suspensions etc but also it will, and has already I believe, create more hunger in the squad. Knowing if you don't perform there are 2/3 other guys eager to fill your position will give us a much higher standard consistently from the players, I'm sure.

Midfield 3 of Jig, McLeod and Law with Templeton playing in front of them in the hole

You must be the only rangers fan I have ever heard suggest jig as a midfielder....he is too slow and immobile to play there...he slows our play down far too much and as much as I live the big guy I think he will be more of a bit part player this year, filling in at the back and up front....ally has already said he wants a higher intensity, pressing style this year....jig can't do that anymore, certainly not from midfield at least!

You must be the only rangers fan I have ever heard suggest jig as a midfielder....he is too slow and immobile to play there...he slows our play down far too much and as much as I live the big guy I think he will be more of a bit part player this year, filling in at the back and up front....ally has already said he wants a higher intensity, pressing style this year....jig can't do that anymore, certainly not from midfield at least!

I've seen him do a good job loads in midfield in his 6 years here

I'd rather have him upfront but there's a few in front of him and there's no way I'd have him at centre back

I'd rather have him upfront but there's a few in front of him and there's no way I'd have him at centre back

That sounds like, if he has to play put him where he can do least damage. Jigs got to take more of a back seat this season, he does slow everything down in midfield and could be a liability if we are playing a high line pressing game.

Nah not for me.. more often than not he ends up chasing shadows when he plays in there. He's not a midfielder in any way, shape or form.

I do like the 4-3-1-2 formation that you were suggesting though.. it's a good fit for our current squad given that we don't have a lot of options out wide. Despite the OP I wouldn't class Templeton as a natural winger.. if you watch him you can see he wants to drift into the middle, i'd also say his best games coincided with him being given that free role.

Foster - Mohsni - New CB - Wallace

MacLeod - Black - Law

Templeton

Daly - Clark

I still think Black has a future with us.. with the right players around him we should hopefully see the player that we all know he can be. Failing that hopefully Peralta can step up...

All depends on the formation but if we go 4-1-3-2 I would see Black or Peralta as DM Temps, Macleod, Law for the attacking 3 maybe with Temps and Law giving width when on the ball but we have so many players to choose from we may well need to rotate players regularly to get the full benifits of them, or sell/loan a lot out.