Some thoughts on tonight's game

This is how we lined up tonight -

Bell

Foster Gasparotto Mohsni Smith

Peralta McAusland Law Templeton

Daly Clark

Dundee came flying out the blocks, they were obviously really up for the game. They pressed us high up the pitch and didn't allow us to build from the back. We resorted to long ball after long ball up to Daly which didn't work because there weren't players there to get on the end of his knock downs or flick ons since we were sitting quite deep at times. I thought our defence looked shaky, it was all a bit casual at times, hopefully that was just because it was a friendly. We eventually lost the goal at a set piece. It was a right footed in swinger towards the near post that their player headed into the net. The defending should have been better.

However it was a totally different story in the second half. We played with a bit of urgency, we upped the tempo and instantly created a couple of chances. Law was now getting on the ball a bit more and influencing the game. Peralta and Templeton seemed to be drifting inside quite a bit and this gave Foster and Smith a bit more license to get forward. Foster's crosses into the box were quite poor tbh, a player with a better delivery would have punished Dundee tonight. Peralta's free kick was a beauty! We didn't really kick on after that and try and get the win. I was disappointed we only made 2 substitutions (Crawford for McAusland, Aird for Temps), I would liked to have seen Tom Walsh and Barrie McKay get a run out.

I'd like to see Templeton play centrally from now on. He can be a bit predictable when he's on the left, he was always cutting in onto his right foot and more often than not he lost the ball. When playing centrally he is more unpredictable and IMO that's where he should play. The Daly/Clark partnership needs a bit of work. They didn't really link up at all tonight but it's early days.

And finally, despite the Dundee fans singing about hoping Nacho Novo died in his sleep, singing 'go home ya huns' and about how Jon Daly is an 'Arab bastard', the police camera was firmly pointed at our support. :rolleyes:

Personally, i am worried (and have been since Miller left us) at the lack of pace in our team. Templeton aside, we have no outstanding players with electric pace who can worry a defender to the extent we'd hope for.

Hope it changes.

Personally, i am worried (and have been since Miller left us) at the lack of pace in our team. Templeton aside, we have no outstanding players with electric pace who can worry a defender to the extent we'd hope for.

Hope it changes.

Aluko was a perfect example of this, pace, skill, he pretty much has everything.

I really don't know why we keep subsidizing Scottish teams who sing vile songs about our club or players.

For me we should not hand over one single penny to any Scottish club in pre-season games all we get in return is a load of bile.

Start playing English teams or teams from outside the uk from now on.

Many thanks Bluenose_72 for the report.

We were chatting about how this 11 has never played before... and what is heartening is our second half performance was up a level.

Although the second half was an improvement, it still wasn't great. All 8 of our new players played so it will take time to gel.

This is how we lined up tonight -

Bell

Foster Gasparotto Mohsni Smith

Peralta McAusland Law Templeton

Daly Clark

How would you asses Bilel and Gasporotto's play on the night?

In the air.

On the ground.

Defending corners.

Attacking corners.

Did they pass the ball out of defense or hoof it?

When I hear how up for it and fired up teams are against us.... It's expected but we should be fucking gunning to make our mark as well. I hope these players realise what it is to play for Rangers, there should be some fucking fire in the bellies so to speak.

The long ball tactic and apparent lack of cohesion is a worry too, really can't be arsed with another season of that