Is amateur football still as popular.

I remember when I was 17 yr old and had just left pro youth with one club and was about to sign with another pro club

The standard of football I was used to was pretty good so I was lucky in that respect , It was all I'd known

Anyway...

My mates dad ran the local pub team on the Sunday and they had a big game coming up and asked if I'd play as a ringer. I was oblivious to what I was letting myself in for but accepted as I hadn't signed my contract yet

I turned up and it was as if they had pulled in all the jakeballs from the bottom of the town.

It looked like a scene from the hills have eyes

The ref walked in wearing a refs outfit from what looked like the 1974 world cup with a joint hanging out his lips whilst checking the studs and told everyone to "keep it clean lads"

Our GK never had a goalie top so wore his leather jacket to play in goals and then wore it to the pub after the game with mud all over it the clatty bastard

At half time they passed round cans of Skol Super and Buckie for whoever needed a drink

The tackes that flew in the game were ridiculous and a real eye opener as I was always protected by the refs in the levels played at.

The ref didn't give a fuck and never even had any cards with him. Just a pack of benson & hedges in his shorts

Anyway we lost 11-9 and I scored 8 haha

That was my only time playing amateur football and safe to say ever will

I remember when I was 17 yr old and had just left pro youth with one club and was about to sign with another pro club

The standard of football I was used to was pretty good so I was lucky in that respect , It was all I'd known

Anyway...

My mates dad ran the local pub team on the Sunday and they had a big game coming up and asked if I'd play as a ringer. I was oblivious to what I was letting myself in for but accepted as I hadn't signed my contract yet

I turned up and it was as if they had pulled in all the jakeballs from the bottom of the town.

The ref walked in wearing a refs outfit from what looked like the 1974 world cup with a joint hanging out his lips whilst checking the studs and told everyone to "keep it clean lads"

Our GK never had a goalie top so wore his leather jacket to play in goals and then wore it to the pub after the game with mud all over it the clatty bastard

At half time they passed round cans of Skol Super and Buckie for whoever needed a drink

The tackes that flew in the game were ridiculous and a real eye opener as I was always protected by the refs in the levels played at.

The ref didn't give a fuck and never even had any cards with him. Just a pack of benson & hedges in his shorts

had a good few moments like this,scary at the time but laughable now.played all over the west of Scotland and probably the worst incident was our keeper getting shot at with an air rifle in Renfrew.keeper being the fat cat a poster on here.

Anyway...

It's fuck all like that now and some of the top clubs are easily up there with sfl3 etc.

My mate plays with drumchapel Fp and they drew with Stirling Albion and the fps are shite tbh.

When I played for drumchapel united b team we played Ashfield twice, beat them 2-1 and drew 2-2. Teams like Coalville park, hurlford, knockentieber, bannockburn, Dumbarton accies, Clark drive to name a few are all very very good sides.

Most of the leagues are also very well run and they have a good set of disciplinary procedures. The amateur game here is looking up IMO.

To the op, Murirend are still playing and play in the greater glasgow league

It's fuck all like that now and some of the top clubs are easily up there with sfl3 etc.

My mate plays with drumchapel Fp and they drew with Stirling Albion and the fps are shite tbh.

When I played for drumchapel united b team we played Ashfield twice, beat them 2-1 and drew 2-2. Teams like Coalville park, hurlford, knockentieber, bannockburn, Dumbarton accies, Clark drive to name a few are all very very good sides.

Most of the leagues are also very well run and they have a good set of disciplinary procedures. The amateur game here is looking up IMO.

Maybe in a one off game they could get a draw (though Stirling Albion probably weren't playing a full team) but overall the top amateur teams aren't anywhere near SFL3 teams.

The top junior teams could probably compete with lower SFL3 though.

Maybe in a one off game they could get a draw (though Stirling Albion probably weren't playing a full team) but overall the top amateur teams aren't anywhere near SFL3 teams.

The top junior teams could probably compete with lower SFL3 though.

Some of the top amateur sides are every bit as good as the top juniors. Anytime they play its always very tight. The drum utd first team back in the day were always lined up to play the best juniors as the juniors saw it as a big test. Pretty sure the drum only lost one or 2. One was to auchinleck iirc

Played pro youth til I was 19 then just never had time to play amatuer. Had to go to uni and work constantly so it never worked out and I became unfit and shite anyway. But good luck to the lads that do play. It's a good level and great to be part of a team.

Anyway...

What is it with that? We had a ref wearing a top like that for our charity match last year, he then walked off the park when our team had a second flare up in the first 5 minutes. Bastard got his full pay aswell :cgreen:

When I left my last pro club i was on £20 a wk part time , that was it . I signed for a junior club and got £30 a wk , £8 a night training expenses , £8 expenses on the sat then if I was in the squad and win we got another £20. So I was getting around £66 a wk and I also got £3000 signing on fee

The wages were ridiculous back then as it was before the smoking ban, all top junior sides had social clubs and that paid the wages etc

Guys like frank mcgarvie etch all dropped down to play that level as they were getting waded in.

Now junior clubs are all skint and really struggling to get by never mind pay those wages that I first got.

What you see now is those guys playing amateur and its obviously bringing that standard up from yrs ago

Teams like newmains, St Rochs, Blantyre etc would get destroyed by most top amateur sides like colville park and Drumchapel

cheers,thats one of the reasons I was asking two teams when I was there,one in the Caledonian and one in the greater Glasgow.

I'm looking at it from the fact Queens Park u19s (mixed with a couple 19/20 year olds from the fringes of the first team) got to the final of the Scottish Amateur Cup before winning it the year after.

They used first team players when they went out of the senior cup.

Played pro youth til I was 19 then just never had time to play amatuer. Had to go to uni and work constantly so it never worked out and I became unfit and shite anyway. But good luck to the lads that do play. It's a good level and great to be part of a team.

Since I stopped pro youth at queens park and went back to under 21 I was still good but its now going right downhill. I think it's time I just gave up.

cheers,thats one of the reasons I was asking two teams when I was there,one in the Caledonian and one in the greater Glasgow.

Think the Caley team is the 1st team if you like.

Caley and central are the best 2 leagues, Ayrshire ain't far behind

Anyway...

I played amateur football in Paisley all my days and never came across anything like you describe

edit...wrong team.