3-5-2?

Shagarito

With Ally signing Zaliukas, does anyone else think he might change our system to a 3-5-2? It would make sense considering the amount of centre-backs we have on our books.

I remember us playing a similar system in Europe under Walter Smith (more of a 5-4-1) which Man Utd and Valencia, in particular, struggled to cope with. Ricky Foster was a key part of that system due to his pace so that may have been the reason Ally has brought him in considering we had enough players to play right-back.

Ally himself tried three centre-halves against Malmo two years ago which didn't work because Davie Weir picked up an early injury. I've never been too fond of this system especially because most teams play a 4-3-3/4-5-1 which matches the 3-5-2 in midfield but also allows the wide players to get in behind the opposition wing-backs which drags the back three around. Admittedly, I can't see these sort of tactical battles occurring in League One.

How would you feel if Ally was to field this sort of line-up?

Bell

Mohsni McCulloch Zaliukas

Foster Law Black McLeod Wallace

Daly Clark

System wouldn't suit Templeton and less seriously the likes of McKay and Aird.

Wouldn't mind seeing us use it against more serious opposition where we have to be constrained and defensively solid but in league games wouldn't like to see it (tu)

Mohsni McCulloch Zaliukas

No. Just no.

With the addition of Zaliukas (if the deal goes through) it should end the laughable decision that is continuously putting McCulloch at centre back whilst he's scoring back-to-back hatricks. That's almost as farcical as Ally McCoist putting Peralta at RM.

Faure & Cribari have both played well beside Mohsni this season, I don't see why one of them can't go into that trio if indeed a 3-5-2 happened.

McCulloch should be in contention for striker, Jig & Daly are very very similar players so it should be the case that for example; If Daly starts and performs poorly, McCulloch is on the bench and ready to come on to replace him and make a difference, and vice versa.

the problem with 3 5 2 is

3 centre halfs is overkill

1 player out wide tends to get over run

a good team playing 4 33 tends to swamp a 3 5 2

walter liked to play a 3 5 2 back in the 9 in a row days,it's a poor formation for playing good football,certain players in the formation tend to get isolated and the wing backs are overworked and get targeted for 2 v 1 s

I like a 352 - it offers a solid centre and can be very attacking with the right wing backs - and Wallace and Foster strike me as capable of that.

However it does mean guys like Templeton, Aird etc. will not be deployed - except as partners to Daly /Lee up front where Little and Clark alresady look like they will be competing for position.

I must admit I am really interested to see what direction Ally goes with this squad and I think with all the options available he has many formation options, many positional selections and ho matter what way he goes gopod players will be left out and all of this will test his managerial mettle more that every before- a task I think he is well capable off - and it will be interesting to see

the problem with 3 5 2 is

3 centre halfs is overkill

1 player out wide tends to get over run

a good team playing 4 33 tends to swamp a 3 5 2

walter liked to play a 3 5 2 back in the 9 in a row days,it's a poor formation for playing good football,certain players in the formation tend to get isolated and the wing backs are overworked and get targeted for 2 v 1 s

it depends how you set up the rest of the team

in a proper 3-5-2 either your left centre half or your right centre half should go wide and act as a full back whenever the wingback is double teamed, now most times you are up against a 4-4-2 or a 4-5-1, if its a 4-4-2 then your sitting midfielder in the 3-5-2 has the freedom to drop into the defence to simply help out should the 2 strikers target the remaining two defenders

if its a 4-5-1 you are up against then you dont need 3 defenders to man mark a single striker, so again one centre half drifts wide to support the wingback while the other marks the lone striker and the sweeper sits spare

a 3-5-2 is fantastically effective if you have slow centre halves and/or dominating midfielders

if ally was to do this then something along these lines would be pretty good to see

zaliuskas

Mohsni-----A.N.Other

Foster---------------------------------------Wallace

Black

Macleod-Law

Daly/Jig-Clark

Good game reading sweeper, quick and strong centre halves, sitting mid that covers in when needed, two athletic wingbacks and 2 attacking mids to complement the big and little front men who work off each other, its a system that can work but it needs a lot of training to get the defenders mindsets into going wide before the ball is already behind the wingback and for the sitting mid to drop deep before the defence actually needs him

Bell

Mohsni, Faure,

Foster,Black, Wallace,

Peralta,McLeod,

Law,

Clark,McCulloch

Moshi monster and Faure as CBs, with Foster and Wallace on the wing able to drop back if needed. Black holding the M/F, taking the ball from the CBs, Lee up front and Clark and Law lurking for the knock downs. yes that leaves Sheids, temps, little and daly on the bench. 65-70 mins gone swap Lee for Daly (unless hes on for a hat-trick), then Mcleod or peralta for sheilds or temps.

A lot of people, myself included, don't want to see McCulloch play as a first choice defender. I am just trying to figure out how Ally might try to play all of our new signings. I actually think McCulloch's best spell for Rangers was the 2009-2010 season when he played in centre midfield with Davis. In late 2009 we were blowing teams away with a midfield of Beasley Davis McCulloch Novo and Boyd and Miller up front. That was hands down the best football we have played since some of PLG's European performances (forgetting PLG'S SPL ones!). Slightly off topic there!

it depends how you set up the rest of the team

in a proper 3-5-2 either your left centre half or your right centre half should go wide and act as a full back whenever the wingback is double teamed, now most times you are up against a 4-4-2 or a 4-5-1, if its a 4-4-2 then your sitting midfielder in the 3-5-2 has the freedom to drop into the defence to simply help out should the 2 strikers target the remaining two defenders

if its a 4-5-1 you are up against then you dont need 3 defenders to man mark a single striker, so again one centre half drifts wide to support the wingback while the other marks the lone striker and the sweeper sits spare

a 3-5-2 is fantastically effective if you have slow centre halves and/or dominating midfielders

if ally was to do this then something along these lines would be pretty good to see

zaliuskas

Mohsni-----A.N.Other

Foster---------------------------------------Wallace

Black

Macleod-Law

Daly/Jig-Clark

Good game reading sweeper, quick and strong centre halves, sitting mid that covers in when needed, two athletic wingbacks and 2 attacking mids to complement the big and little front men who work off each other, its a system that can work but it needs a lot of training to get the defenders mindsets into going wide before the ball is already behind the wingback and for the sitting mid to drop deep before the defence actually needs him

you make some good points,walter smith was succesful domesticaly with the 3 5 2,but the brand of football wasn't great,the dutch national team have tried 3 at the back as well,they tried a 3 4 3 and also barca had a try at 3 at the back also under van gaal,but every team has ditched it because they would rather use that extra player in the middle of the park or out wide, bayern barca and arsenal have perfected the perfect formation,i would just copy them,their formation is excellent for keeping possession within the system all the players seem to have passing options when they are on the ball and they have plenty of options in that formation going forward,3 5 2 is a bit like saturdays 4 4 2 certain players in certain positions become isolated and it affects the quality and speed of the passing.i also think playing 3 5 2 can be a defensive formation because playing that extra centre half cuts down your options in other areas of the field.

you make some good points,walter smith was succesful domesticaly with the 3 5 2,but the brand of football wasn't great,the dutch national team have tried 3 at the back as well,they tried a 3 4 3 and also barca had a try at 3 at the back also under van gaal,but every team has ditched it because they would rather use that extra player in the middle of the park or out wide, bayern barca and arsenal have perfected the perfect formation,i would just copy them,their formation is excellent for keeping possession within the system all the players seem to have passing options when they are on the ball and they have plenty of options in that formation going forward,3 5 2 is a bit like saturdays 4 4 2 certain players in certain positions become isolated and it affects the quality and speed of the passing.i also think playing 3 5 2 can be a defensive formation because playing that extra centre half cuts down your options in other areas of the field.

comparing the likes of arsenal, bayern and barca to anyone wont work mate, they are built and operated with 11 guys that have the ability to play total football, bayern especially as they have the better defence out of they 3

A flat 4-4-2 would dominate anything if you had the ability they 3 teams have, in situations like ours you need to take advantage of what you have and cover what you dont, imo we have a very dominating central midfield trio of black, law and macleod, peralt also can be in there, and tbh aside from templeton (who can be very hot and cold) we dont have any proper out and out wingers as saturday showed, aird is on loan and barry mckay seems to be miles away from the first team the now for whatever the reason)

with that in mind we simply play the two wingbacks, and if it needs be then mohsni (who's attitude reminds me of bougies btw) can even step out of defence with the ball and the two wingback can in a real emergency drop to fullback if mohsni gets caught out of position (or if the other centre half steps out to begin an attack and gets caught out)

as i said though the 3-5-2 takes months and months of work as its a system that will be alien to most players and it will not work unless the players are fluent in it, hence why its hardly ever used nowadays

Bell

Moshni. Mcculloch. Wallace

Black

Little. Law. McLeod. Templeton

Daly. Clarke

There's my team King Billy n Wallace bombing on black sits in when 1 goes easy Peasy Japanese

You'd play an attacking left back at centre half? :anguish:

Hi Ally.

you make a good case for trying out the 3 5 2 ,but i'm a massive fan of the 4 2 31 or the 4 3 3 i just love the flexability of these formations and the attacking options you get with these formations,watching some of the football arsenal bayern and barca and even the spanish and german national teams have played in the last couple of years has been the best standards of exciting attacking football i have ever seen,i would love us to try and copy the formation of these teams even though you are write in saying the gulf in quality between us and them is ginormous.

You'd play an attacking left back at centre half? :anguish:

Hi Ally.

Yes I would incase you hadn't noticed he plays most on the game in there half anyway and we have 3 defenders picking up 1 player he's got the ability to do it and gives us the extra player in midfield.

Sorry Jose mourihno

Yes I would incase you hadn't noticed he plays most on the game in there half anyway and we have 3 defenders picking up 1 player he's got the ability to do it and gives us the extra player in midfield.

Sorry Jose mourihno

I doubt even Ally would be that daft. :lol:

Read back what you're saying. You want to play an attacking left back at centre half. Is that correct?

if we go for a 3-5-2 i certainly hope ally doesn't copy walters team.

he never played 3 centre halfs it was more often than not 5 he played

I'm sure Walter's team only had three centre-halves but the four in midfield and one up top is what made it quite a defensive formation. On the break we looked excellent against Valencia at home.The line-up that night was;

McGregor

Foster Bougherra Weir Papac Whittaker

Weiss Davis Edu Naismith

Miller

I personally wouldn't like to see a back 3/5 and prefer a flat back 4 but I do feel that formation surprised the European opposition we faced that year and was pretty effective.