Anelka accused of Anti Semitic gesture

AlCapone

I think where this issue is a lot more complicated than someone just calling somebody a racist term. I think part of the problem is that it's virtually unheard of here but the gesture does seem 'fairly ' universally pilloried in France. I do agree with you that the whole thing is a mess but from what reading I've done it's a gesture I'm at least a little uncomfortable with.

I agree with what you are saying but being "fairly uncomfortable" with a gesture is no basis for fining someone 80k and banning them for 5 matches. To do that you should be bloody well sure what was meant not just be bowing to pressure to be seen to be doing something because some think a gesture offensive.

A ban like hat not only affects the player but the club and it's fans. What if West Brom were relegated because Anelka wasn't there to score a vital goal ( speculation I know but possible) It would cost untold millions

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with what you are saying but being "fairly uncomfortable" with a gesture is no basis for fining someone 80k and banning them for 5 matches. To do that you should be bloody well sure what was meant not just be bowing to pressure to be seen to be doing something because some think a gesture offensive.

A ban like hat not only affects the player but the club and it's fans. What if West Brom were relegated because Anelka wasn't there to score a vital goal ( speculation I know but possible) It would cost untold millions

I don't think we are massively apart on are views on this to be honest. I suspect the FA have spoke to more people than I have about this and with the exception of the bloke you quoted earlier, who backtracked, pretty much everyone in France seems hugely opposed to it (obviously I don't mean the supporters but I hope you take my point ) . I also think there had been talk of banning it , I Honestly feel its one of those 'gestures' that means a lot more to the country it has its roots in meaning our discussion is taking place on the boundaries of the debate really . That's why I feel uncomfortable with it because I suppose I maybe don't know enough about it.

Just on west I think it's may informative that rather than backing him they suspended him .

I don't think we are massively apart on are views on this to be honest. I suspect the FA have spoke to more people than I have about this and with the exception of the bloke you quoted earlier, who backtracked, pretty much everyone in France seems hugely opposed to it (obviously I don't mean the supporters but I hope you take my point ) . I also think there had been talk of banning it , I Honestly feel its one of those 'gestures' that means a lot more to the country it has its roots in meaning our discussion is taking place on the boundaries of the debate really . That's why I feel uncomfortable with it because I suppose I maybe don't know enough about it.

Just on west I think it's may informative that rather than backing him they suspended him .

West Brom , like most others, are simply going with the mob crying for blood. They have sponsors with Jewish backgrounds who have declared Anelka guilty and West Brom are simply looking after themselves.

I maintain my position. If Anelka made an anti Semitic gesture live on TV then he should be arrested and prosecuted but we both know that will never happen as it is just not a strong enough case.

The guy has been done by the loudest voice rather than dependable evidence and I believe we are massively apart on this as I want proof not mob rule

West Brom , like most others, are simply going with the mob crying for blood. They have sponsors with Jewish backgrounds who have declared Anelka guilty and West Brom are simply looking after themselves.

I maintain my position. If Anelka made an anti Semitic gesture live on TV then he should be arrested and prosecuted but we both know that will never happen as it is just not a strong enough case.

The guy has been done by the loudest voice rather than dependable evidence and I believe we are massively apart on this as I want proof not mob rule

The only issue with that is I'm not even sure , in England , a Nazi salute would even get you arrested in fact I'm pretty sure it wouldn't so the stand up in court issue of this gesture is undermined and let's face it Terry was acquitted and they still banned him.

By the way how bizarre is it that a nazi salute wouldn't get you arrested in England whilst used a 'banned sectarian ' word in Scotland would ? I'm sorry thats just mental.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, just terminated his own contract as he will not accept the 'conditions' put upon him.

Translated from official Twitter feed:

"Following discussions between the club and myself, proposals have been made to me that I rejoined the group under certain conditions...

I can not accept. I wish to keep my integrity, so I have decided to free myself and to terminate the contract...

...linking me with West Bromwich Albion until 2014 with immediate effect."

Original statement:

"Suite aux entretiens entre le club et moi, des propositions m'ont été faîtes pour que je réintègre le groupe sous certaines conditions

que je ne peux pas accepter. Souhaitant garder mon intégrité, j'ai donc pris la décision de me libérer et de mettre fin au contrat

me liant avec West Bromwich Albion jusqu'en 2014, et ce dès à présent."

Vive la Resistance, Nic... Salut! (tu)