1972 ECWC final what was the attendance? nae googling

pcbear

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just proves that not everything that you read in Rangers books is true.

John Niven Loyal Spreadsheet has it at 45,000 too.

I think so long after the event, we can never be certain of the true figure. Maybe 24k was the ticketed attendance, and maybe 45k was everyone who actually managed to get in? :D

John Niven Loyal Spreadsheet has it at 45,000 too.

I think so long after the event, we can never be certain of the true figure. Maybe 24k was the ticketed attendance, and maybe 45k was everyone who actually managed to get in? :D

You could be right mate. :D

You could be right mate. :D

Remember that Herald article I put up a few days ago, where the reporter says "an unusually low crowd - maybe losing its popularity"

The answer given here (and in the Telegraph article) was that there were crowd-size restrictions in place during that war period.

Maybe so, but wouldn't you expect a top-grade contemporary journalist to be aware of that? I'd honestly trust his word, as the man on the scene, more than the Telegraph's reporting of it 70 years later.

Same with that thread about Tom Vallance's recollections over who were the first team to beat the Wanderers. I trust the earlier source more. (tu)

The past is oh so fuzzy :D

I remember the game through radio only - my family had just moved to england

did they show it on television there nope.

I resorted to trying to tune into radio scotland as a last resort of

any communication of the game - this was unbelivable but true I had to lift my radio aerial

up - down and all around the room just to get any chance of a signal !

It was the worst night of my young life - the biggest game ever and resorting to

morse code at best to keep up with the events in barcelona it felt like outer mongola

I lost signal after 3-2 and the ruskies on a comeback and heard the result

of the game we had won BBC national news .

The media coverage was pitiful and amazing to what we have now that many bears

had no idea what was happening in a major european cup final that night

once they

I've always thought that it was 25 000, I don't remember why, but that has been a figure that I've believed was the attendance on the night. The game was not live on the tv, & I was listening to it on the radio in my room. Can't remember where I was last week, but will always remember where I was when Rangers won the ECWC!

The attendance given at the time was, if I remember correctly, 26,000.

A decent turn out considering that easy European travel was a thing of the future, and virtually no Russians were present.

I wasnt there... me mammy wouldnt let me go.

Watched in on delayed transmission later that night ... damm you Bill Tennant.

Was too young to go, but we avoided the radio transmission to watch the delayed TV transmission.

Switched the TV just before delayed kick-off and the newscaster announced that the finish was delayed for pitch interuptions and it was 3-2 to us with a few minutes to play.

Watched the delayed game from start knowing it was 3-2 with a few minutes to go.

Another occasion where the SFA screwed us over by insisting a minor match should delay the live TV.

Was too young to go, but we avoided the radio transmission to watch the delayed TV transmission.

Switched the TV just before delayed kick-off and the newscaster announced that the finish was delayed for pitch interuptions and it was 3-2 to us with a few minutes to play.

Watched the delayed game from start knowing it was 3-2 with a few minutes to go.

Another occasion where the SFA screwed us over by insisting a minor match should delay the live TV.

Scotland played Wales at Hampdump that night in Home Internationals and wouldn't allow the game to be shown live, and it proves that jealousy and hate of The Rangers has existed in these petty pathetic bastards for a long time ! Imagine any other country in the WORLD not showing a Home team Euro Final live, it doesn't happen anywhere else but here !

At half-time Arthur Montford said something like "join us after the break for three great goals" so as soon as Bud scored the third we knew we had won.