Chris Burke?

Although there are still weeks and weeks left of the transfer window there appears to have been no public moves made to sign an actual right sided midfielder, even the rags seem to be linking us with nobody who plays in that position.

That begs the question is Walter going to stick with what he has got there? And if so who will play there: Burke or Novo?

Alot of fans are unhappy with Burke due to his inconsistant play and also the way he held the club to ransom over his new contract. However he did get that new contract and in a time where we are very tight with money that is a very significant thing IMO.

I can't see us giving Burke a new contract and then suddenly leaving him out in the wilderness like he was for most of the second part of last season without good reason or possibly to teach him a lesson maybe?

Perhaps after a good pre season with some good strength and fitness training he will come back into the side. Walter wont take his shit the same way that Eck and PLG did, so this could finally be the season where Burke comes good for a significant period of time.

Perhaps Walter allowed him to sign a new contract as he knew that he was going to have limited resources in the summer and by tying down Burke to a new contract it meant that he could sell him for cash to increase his budget in the summer.

Either way it's odd that he has just disapeared from the first team, especially after all the time we chased him about extending his contract.

Thoughts?

He was a youngster with great potential who has gone backwards as many do. I think his attitude is the main reason for this;

He doesn't work for his colleagues or the team in matches, he obviously has not worked on his weakness in being able to cross the ball. He has talent but seems to be happy to lift his wages without doing much. Maybe Walter will take him into a cupboard and sort this out and we might get a worthwhile player.

Again did Walter have any say in the contract negotiations or were they well on the way when he arrived ?

His form has been piss poor since the contract was signed in all honesty. i would welcome enquiries for himbut i doubt they will be forthcoming as its clear he is (at best) extremely inconsistent

feindouno is one who can play attacking right side that we have been linked with.

Burke on form is a good player to have, one of the few we have willing to take players on. He has done nothing in the last 6 months though. Hope to see him back to his best next season with his injury worries behind him - there's still more to come from him IMO and he won't go in the summer. Give him till January, punt him then if he's still not doing enough.

There was a suggestion elsewhere that we were not in fact watching Chamakh at Bordeaux - but were in fact watching Stephen Dalmat - who is due to be released shortly on a free.

What gives this story an air of credibility is the fact that Chamakh is well out of our price range, whilst Dalmat on a free would suit our budget (or lack of it as the case may be)

That begs the question is Walter going to stick with what he has got there? And if so who will play there: Burke or Novo?

I hope not, Novo and Burke are simply not good enough. Novo is a tryer but so is Sebo. I'd like both to be moved on.

We have to get a RM/W in before the end of the window and I imagine that position will also be in Smith's mind.

There was a suggestion elsewhere that we were not in fact watching Chamakh at Bordeaux - but were in fact watching Stephen Dalmat - who is due to be released shortly on a free.

What gives this story an air of credibility is the fact that Chamakh is well out of our price range, whilst Dalmat on a free would suit our budget (or lack of it as the case may be)

Dalmat is the type of player we should be looking at :tu: He's lost his way a little bit but I remember he was brillant for Tottenham and I was quite suprised that they never made the move permanent.

Despie having a bit of an attitude problem at times , he does have genuine quality and is equally at home on the right, left or through the middle.

If we are going to have a small sqaud then versatility among players is vital and he would certainly offer that.

More likely JCD coming inside from there

Chris Burke can leave as far as I'm conserned.

Had really high hopes for him, but he just does not seem interested.

Agree with you totally.

Burke has just joined a long line of promising youngsters who make it in the First Team and then go backwards.

We should never have given him a new contract, how many other Clubs were lining up to sign him? How many offered to match his ludicrous wage demands. For £12k a week we get a decent game in five, a winger who can't cross, beat a man, win a ball, pick a target or shot accurately.

Get rid of him.

Both Burke and Novo are good squad players but neither is good enough to start IMO

Burke is one of those Luxary players, and to be honest we cant afford them at the moment, certanily not for 90 mins anyway, he could come on late and run at tired defenders but not a first 11 player

For £12k a week we get a decent game in five, a winger who can't cross, beat a man, win a ball, pick a target or shot accurately.

This is where I disagree with you and what really annoys me about Chris Burke.

He CAN cross, he CAN beat a man - We have seen him do it in his first season, that is what he was all about.

But he simply does not do it. Why ? I don't know.

More likely JCD coming inside from there

JCD is primarily a striker though, he can fill in at RM, but not play there every week.

Just because he has pace people are going to assume he can be a winger and that will probably lead to him flopping for us!

If he plays RM I won't be happy :thumbs_down:

JCD is primarily a striker though, he can fill in at RM, but not play there every week.

Just because he has pace people are going to assume he can be a winger and that will probably lead to him flopping for us!

Im not suggesting he plays RM mate - i want him wide right of a front 3! :pipehorse:

Catch us if you can!

Indeed - Big Eck and Lovenkrands, anyone?

nacho novo offers more in the right wing than burke does at the moment. burke needs the first few months of the season to get a consistent run out and prove he is worth keeping or its bye bye in january

Novo provides an easy option for the manager because he will sacrifice himself for the team by tracking back,harrying and tackling which Burke cannot be bothered doing.

Hutton has gained from Novo's workrate and attitude and Novo has a high assist rate albeit at the expense of strike rate.The tactic of restricting him to a wide position gives that result. Personally I would prefer him to play up with Boyd in a dual strikeforce rather than have Barry starting in that position and reverting to a midfield role after a few minutes.

I hope Walter and Bain are working as hard as they can to offload Burke and Novo. I think we are trying to get rid of a number of players -- and then we will be more active buying the players we need.

Ridiculous offers of late are probably because we're still waiting to generate some cash from sales? But Burke has to go. (At least Novo works hard).

I'd like to see us keep burke, purely as he has potential, one more season to prove himself.. then gtf

Novo must go imo. Burkes a sub, that can come on and offer something different, but thats all.. i'd like a first team right sided midfielder in, then burkes attitude might change, and try push for it.

Must be hard for a guy, trying to get motivated for games, when your whole family are tims and you play for the mighty gers. Might be easier to ship him off, he'd probably be good down south in the championship.