If, IF, we win the Scottish Cup this season, where would it rank?

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be a great achievement no doubt and would hopefully be a springboard for our return to the top however winning the Scottish cup will never eclipse winning the top division or our European achievements IMO!

My feelings too

Great achievement, most emotional and the most satisfying but nothing compared to the scale some of our previous triumphs

I think a Scottish cup win this season would be right up there with anything we've achieved domesticly. Sure we've got the 2nd biggest budget in the country but it got to be the smallest budget we've had in 20 years! Add that to our off field problems & I say again its right up there. Just think 9 more wins this season & there's 3 trophies in the bag. That's sure to rattle a few cages!

My feelings too

Great achievement, most emotional and the most satisfying but nothing compared to the scale some of our previous triumphs

I think the circumstances of a potential win this year would be amazing but the reality is we could conceivably avoid playing any top league team until the semi or final and having avoided Celtic and with the financial advantage we have over the remaining teams it would not compare to more prestigious achievements for me!

But your talking like I'm saying it's not an achievement - it is

You've used this 9 in a row analogy on a few people on here but I don't see the comparison

9 in a row was a massive achievement collectively but on a year by year basis except for the last two titles it wasn't a massive thing for me as there was no challenge - it was little steps on the way to the big prize

And on most of those steps we had a bigger budget than all the other teams in the league. Just like we do now. No-one complained about it, no one used it as a means to undermine any achievements or as a measuring stick for results. I remember us playing teams like Raith and Falkirk with a side consisting of the likes of Gascoigne and Laudrup. Their wages would have likely covered Raiths budget for the year. Rangers having a vastly bigger budget than everyone else is not a new thing.

And on most of those steps we had a bigger budget than all the other teams in the league. Just like we do now. No-one complained about it, no one used it as a means to undermine any achievements or as a measuring stick for results. I remember us playing teams like Raith and Falkirk with a side consisting of the likes of Gascoigne and Laudrup. Their wages would have likely covered Raiths budget for the year. Rangers having a vastly bigger budget than everyone else is not a new thing.

and no ones complaining about it now either!

It's up for debate the scale of achievement (if we win it)

The budgets got nothing to do with it, ffs are we really saying I can't enjoy this because our players are too good for the league, we are paying them too much, this is the Scottish cup, those arguments do not come into and in fact are a lot of crap so shut the fuck up.

If we win it, it will be right up there with the big ones. We are in the third tier of Scottish football and yet Rangers win the national cup. The haters will go in to overdrive; Timposions will be heard all over Scotland. It will mean that despite all that has gone against us, all the Machiavellianism used against us; we are truly back and to be feared.

and no ones complaining about it now either!

It's up for debate the scale of achievement (if we win it)

C'mon, no ones complaining about our budget? Really?

Why would it be any less of an achievement when everything else we've achieved in the last 20-30 years at the very least has been in part because we out strip everyone else financially?

The budgets got nothing to do with it, ffs are we really saying I can't enjoy this because our players are too good for the league, we are paying them too much, this is the Scottish cup, those arguments do not come into and in fact are a lot of crap so shut the fuck up.

Who is saying you can't enjoy it? Stop being a drama queen....it is an alternative view to yours end of!

If the budget had nothing to do with it then why aren't Albion Rovers, Annan, East Stirling etc in the final every year ? Don't talk pish

Why would it be any less of an achievement when everything else we've achieved in the last 20-30 years at the very least has been in part because we out strip everyone else financially?

So did we outstrip Celtic financially? News to me! Look it's just different opinions but the reality is if we were in the top division the league is the number 1 priority and the competition with Celtic drives that! Winning a cup is great and especially at this time but IMO it is not as big an achievement as beating your equal rivals to a title over 38 games.

Considering where we were 18 months ago, and considering all the obstacles put in our path it would be a big "Fuck You!" to those who tried to destroy us. And let them know, come what may, we're coming for them.

So do you think winning this is on a par with UEFA Cup final say? Or even getting out the group stages of the CL? C'mon mate

I'll repeat it would be a massive achievement and probably the most satisfying from an emotional point of view but not even top ten of out achievements in our history

Only on here could we argue about winning a Scottish cup :anguish:

So did we outstrip Celtic financially? News to me! Look it's just different opinions but the reality is if we were in the top division the league is the number 1 priority and the competition with Celtic drives that! Winning a cup is great and especially at this time but IMO it is not as big an achievement as beating your equal rivals to a title over 38 games.

We are not even favourites for this even though Celtic have crashed out. To go from the state we were in during the summer of 2012 to cup winners in less than 2 years would be remarkable.

Barcelona 72 and 9 in a row would probably eclipse it though.

We are not even favourites for this even though Celtic have crashed out. To go from the state we were in during the summer of 2012 to cup winners in less than 2 years would be remarkable.

Barcelona 72 and 9 in a row would probably eclipse it though.

I'm with you on that TW, although I'd probably add the other 3 European finals, and season 1898-99

Would rather take it step by step, as there is still a lot to do before we win it.

Agreed. It easy to get ahead off ourselves. A win could be important on a few levels not least a potential return to Europe (if the SFA allow it)

Agreed. It easy to get ahead off ourselves. A win could be important on a few levels not least a potential return to Europe (if the SFA allow it)

To paraphrase Ally, I'd put a bet on the SFA doing nothing whatsoever for us in that direction.