David Templeton: Ibrox side can become first third tier club to win Scottish Cup

Bothwellbear

Rangers star David Templeton: Ibrox side can become first third tier club to win Scottish Cup

10 Feb 2014 03:00

THE flying winger believes that a favourable draw and the fact that many Premiership sides are already out has presented Rangers with a unique chance of glory.

SNS Group JS32130558-3123385.jpg David Templeton

WINGER David Templeton reckons Rangers can become the first third-tier team in history to capture the Scottish Cup.

He is convinced his team can win the famous trophy this season and belief at Ibrox will be heightened after a sensational weekend of explosive shocks. With holders Celtic, Hibs and St Mirren crashing out, just four out of the 12 top-flight sides are left in the William Hill-sponsored tournament.

Ally McCoist’s men, who thumped Dunfermline 4-0 to book their place, received another monumental boost yesterday when the draw for the last eight landed them a home tie against Albion Rovers, currently sitting in seventh spot in League Two and the lowest-ranked side left in the competition.

With the semi-finals due to be staged at Ibrox, the draw has presented Rangers with a great opportunity to reach the May showpiece at Celtic Park.

Templeton admits eyes are on the Cup prize as well as the League One trophy.

SNS Group JS32130531-3123384.jpg Templeton scored against Dunfermline

He said: “Obviously, it’s a lot to ask for but the boys in there are all desperate to win trophies and medals and that’s what I came here for as well.

“I feel like we’ve got a good enough squad to do that.”

Rangers, of course, are almost certain to have to encounter one of the top-flight sides to grab the glory but Templeton added: ”Last year when we played Motherwell, a lot of people wrote us off straight away but that was probably one of the best performances we put in last season.

“We played Dundee United but didn’t start well and gave away sloppy goals. So if we did get a Premiership team, all the boys in there would be well up for it.”

McCoist, though, is warning Rangers’ players and supporters not to look beyond Albion Rovers.

He said: “I wanted a home draw and that’s all I asked for after the game on Friday night. We’ve got that so we have to be pleased.

“Albion Rovers are in the quarters for the first time in 80 years and there will be no pressure on them.

“We’ll have to be guarded and there will be no complacency from us. The fact we’ve got the chance to play for a semi-final at Ibrox is a huge incentive.

“We’ll treat Rovers with the respect they deserve.”

Its something to play for and will hopefully keep our performances up, lets face it the league is won but how good would it be to win the Scottish Cup, Ramsden Cup and the league all in one season when you consider we were nearly wiped of the map. How many teams that played in the third tier league have been in this position?? I know I maybe getting a head of ourselves but Albion at Ibrox and the semi finals at Ibrox it does look good. When we get to the final cant wait to sing the sash in the GlitterDome.

We should quite easily beat the Rovers then who knows what will happen in the semis. We have played our best football when we have played with width but will we go defensive in the semi if we draw one of the premier league teams? Our defence is our weakest point and the only thing that will stop us winning the cup.

I've said from day 1 Temps is brilliant. I'm a massive fan of him, even when he was Hearts. Even when others were writing him off when he was injured and not really playing, i knew he was gonna be class for us when fit.

To think some were wanting him sold aswell. Long may he continue to play like this and hopefully no more injuries for him this season.

I've said from day 1 Temps is brilliant. I'm a massive fan of him, even when he was Hearts. Even when others were writing him off when he was injured and not really playing, i knew he was gonna be class for us when fit.

To think some were wanting him sold aswell. Long may he continue to play like this and hopefully no more injuries for him this season.

To be fair we have been here before with Temps. He can either be brilliant for a few games then turn to utter tripe for the next 5 or so.

I like him and would always have him in my side as he is a game changer and when on song can run riot.

Many of the threads I read regarding him being sold were because he was one of our top earners sitting on the bench not playing which in our circumstance was worrying.

To be fair we have been here before with Temps. He can either be brilliant for a few games then turn to utter tripe for the next 5 or so.

I like him and would always have him in my side as he is a game changer and when on song can run riot.

Many of the threads I read regarding him being sold were because he was one of our top earners sitting on the bench not playing which in our circumstance was worrying.

Fair enough.