Formula One 2014

Blue Atheist

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is Seb on the "best driver" list these days?...

1) Lewis

2) Alonso

3) Seb

4) Button

5) Rosberg

* 6) Kimi 7) Ricciardo 8) Bottas 9) Hulkenberg 10) Massa

If they all had an equal car that would be my prediction for where each driver would finish on a Sunday.

I would have kimi ahead of button and very close between Alonso and Hamilton but I would give it to Alonso as I cannot stand lewis.

Very interesting discussion point though.

I would have ranked Kimi higher but I don't think he's coped well with the cars since his return.

Alonso and Lewis are probably about even but I would say Lewis is more consistent and would put in a faster qualifying lap.

I would have ranked Kimi higher but I don't think he's coped well with the cars since his return.

Alonso and Lewis are probably about even but I would say Lewis is more consistent and would put in a faster qualifying lap.

A bit unfair on kimi but probs fair on lewis v Alonso.

OzBlue - "What happened in the interview? Did Hamilton gub him?"

He did that on the track no need to beat him again. :lol:

While Hamilton was able to give a good reason for what he did his team mate was less forthcoming giving it the old "we'll discuss it as team line". He looked like a guy who fully believed that had he won Mercedes would have applied team orders in his favour for the rest of the season due to him having a large points advantage. Prior to the race he had been going on about how he'd like to beat Hamilton fair and square, but it was just bad luck that has stopped it. Well after starting twenty places ahead of him he still couldn't do it.

Basically our wee German friend looked well pissed, he actually looked as if he was going to cry. I think he's realised that his team in asking Hamilton to pull over have shown that there has been a bias within the team. So far everybody on TV has been giving it the "it's just bad luck" line on what has been happening, after Sunday I think that a lot more people will be suspicious of the situation and will be watching things a lot closer. He might be a good driver but he's not anywhere near as good as Hamilton and deep down he knows it.

Got to say I've never found Rosberg to be smug.

A little boring, but always found him professional and courteous.

I never said he was smug, Badger; I said he had a smug look on his dial, which is a different thing entirely. :pipe:

He certainly is professional and courteous, but he's still a smug looking bastard imo. :thumbup:

OzBlue - "What happened in the interview? Did Hamilton gub him?"

He did that on the track no need to beat him again. :lol:

While Hamilton was able to give a good reason for what he did his team mate was less forthcoming giving it the old "we'll discuss it as team line". He looked like a guy who fully believed that had he won Mercedes would have applied team orders in his favour for the rest of the season due to him having a large points advantage. Prior to the race he had been going on about how he'd like to beat Hamilton fair and square, but it was just bad luck that has stopped it. Well after starting twenty places ahead of him he still couldn't do it.

Basically our wee German friend looked well pissed, he actually looked as if he was going to cry. I think he's realised that his team in asking Hamilton to pull over have shown that there has been a bias within the team. So far everybody on TV has been giving it the "it's just bad luck" line on what has been happening, after Sunday I think that a lot more people will be suspicious of the situation and will be watching things a lot closer. He might be a good driver but he's not anywhere near as good as Hamilton and deep down he knows it.

That's an interesting reply, mate; and a theory that suggests the goings on at Mercedes will have to be clarified by team Mercedes sooner or later; because if they don't publicly clarify that their drivers are free to race then what is the point of Hamilton staying there.

I have never agreed with this "team orders" when you have two drivers fighting for the championship so I don't blame Hamilton for not slowing to allow Rosberg to pass him, especially when Rosberg didn't have the pace to pass on the tyres he had at that time.

It wasn't team orders to favour one driver, as such. It was a case of Mercedes wanting Hamilton not to hinder Rosbergs strategy (and they believed Hamilton letting Rosberg past wouldn't affect Lewis' strategy either).

They were both on completely different strategies so there was no need for them to battle it out. Which is why Mercedes wanted Lewis to step aside, and also why Lewis said he would do if Rosberg was faster.

The only problem was that Rosberg wasn't faster than Lewis to justify the team order so they eventually (correctly) cancelled the request.

I have to disagree with that. Alonso the most consistent driver I've ever seen in Formula One.

Statistics since 2007..

Lewis: Wins - 27, Podiums - 63, Pole - 35, Laps Led - 1600, Points - 1293

Alonso: Wins - 17, Podiums - 60, Pole - 7, Laps Led - 810, Points - 1340

According to those statistics, Alonso only betters Lewis on points (But Alonso scored more of those points after the scoring system was increased, otherwise Lewis would be ahead on that statistic also)

Fairly conclusive that Hamilton is the more consistent driver. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Stats only show part of a picture. Rangers, statistically, were brilliant last season for instance.....

Vettels stats blow everyone out the water, yet I think most rate him below Alonso and Hamilton. Indeed Webber's statistics 2010-2013 are pretty equal to Hamilton, but I know Hamilton would of handed it to him in the same car.

In my opinion since 2007 Alonso has been in better or equal machinery to Hamilton 2 years out of 7. Hamilton has had contending machinery most seasons.

It's been a long time since Alonso has had a car capable of regularly challenging for pole.

Alonso is, in many respects other than ability, the F1 equivalent of Celtic. Take Singapore 2008 as an example. Alonso qualifies 15th at a track where it's very hard to overtake. Key members of his team (remember that the team manger was also Alonso's personal manager) concoct a scheme whereby Alonso's team-mate deliberately crashes and brings about an early safety car after Alonso has made an unusually early stop for fuel (but before the front-runners have made their first fuel stop). The plot works and Alonso wins the race when he would otherwise have been lucky to scrape into the top 8. If Alonso didn't know about the plot before the race, he found about about it the following season when it hit the headlines. Any decent person would have returned the trophy when he found out about his team's actions. Did Alonso? Did he hell.

Read that..."to prove a point"...if this is true then it's just absolutely shocking and not in the spirit of the sport.

Rosberg has lost the plot, this is like Senna/Prost all over again.

If that statement is true The FIA HAVE to take action not just Mercedes.

It struck me as similar to Schumacher when Hill was in front and he just couldn't handle seeing his championship lead disappearing i think in Australia '94..

Sad it's come to this, early season it was cracking racing between the two.

I think the British media are over hyping it. Other media are reporting it slightly different.

Rosberg is supposed to of said he didn't back out the move to prove a point. In a I'm prepared to hold my ground, and if we hit, so be it.

Watch the on board. .. he's steering away when they make contact. He's not IMO tried to do what he did. It's nothing like Schumacher on Hill/Villeneuve.

Although I'm unsure what point Rosbergs trying to prove. He had no chance of the overtake and tbh it wasn't particularly clever or needed at that moment in the race.... . But.... Mercedes and Rosberg have both been unhappy this season with being pushed wide by Hamilton in previous races.... then the team orders thing. I dunno.

I'm loving how this battles developing. I like inter team politics in F1. However Mercedes are managing the situation weakly.

Interested to see how Hamilton responds.... he's at his worst when he starts thinking victim.

I get what you're saying but the two statements I put in bold essentially amount to intentionally causing the collision. He had no chance of the overtake, but decided to make it anyway, knowing it would likely lead to contact, to prove a point.

He's too smart and too talented to think he could make that pass.

I get what you're saying but the two statements I put in bold essentially amount to intentionally causing the collision. He had no chance of the overtake, but decided to make it anyway, knowing it would likely lead to contact, to prove a point.

He's too smart and too talented to think he could make that pass.

Agreed JamieD...it's not like it's first ever Grand Prix, this smacks of a deliberate collision, he was too far behind Hamilton at the turn to even attempt it on the outside.

Hopefully Mercedes deal with this swiftly and appropriately.