We need a Souness-type manager to get us through this.

I remember watching a video when Souness first became our manager, he was training the players. The players didn't know what hit them as he proved he was fitter than the players. Sadly the cheeky chappy stereotype which has been pinned to McCoist seems to be completely valid. I cannot think of any successful Rangers manager (in my time) - Souness, Smith, Advocaat, McLiesh rewarding the players for losing a cup final by having a party.

On here I've already said what my reaction as manager would have been to the loss, and I don't think it's over the top in any way. I would have not allowed one of the players who took part in that game back up the tunnel until every last Rangers and RR fan had left the stadium. The players would then have been sent home without any contact from any of the coaching staff - let them steep in the uncertainty of what was happening to them and let them know the coaching staff and management were so disgusted with the performance we couldn't look at any of the players who let everyone down.

The players certainly would not have a rest day, they'd be in early first thing in the morning going over the embarassment of the day before. Nothing physical, just raising the awareness of what is not acceptable and stating the uncertainty of their position if it continues.

What does McCoist do?

Rewards the players for their pathetic attempt of securing a small cup which our resources alone should allow us to attain without great difficulty. Why was the party not cancelled? Do the players even know this is unacceptable compensation for their salaries?

We need a manager who is tough as nails, we cannot have players performing within themselves and just doing enough to get by. This is exactly what has been happening in my opinion after my eyes have been opened fully by the cup final. I see it as a requirement having at least one coach who injects some humour and happyness into training, however in my opinion it is no place for the manager.

In my humble opinion we need a technically proficient manager who is tough as nails and who is happy at grasping new technologies and techniques while not tramping all over tradition. We need coaches willing to lend new ideas and open the managers eyes to different ways of doing things, who will also inspire youngsters to want to improve.

With all the money available to the managment and coaching staff for salaries, I do not think this is too much to ask for.

No, we need a football coach with an ethos and the will to impose it on the club.

Well, I would definitly say Souness had an ethos! I think at the start we were all crying out for McCoist to be his own man and forget the teachings of Smith as it wasn't working. I wonder now if it would have made any difference if McCoist brought his own ideas and thoughts to managment. But I think those ideas and thoughts are very limited.

We need to get rid of the current manager and then take OUR TIME in ensuring the next appointee is the right man for the job. Not sure why people are in such a rush to choose an anointed successor

I'm not saying we need Souness, I'm saying we need a manager with the traits that mean he doesn't go out partying after a major team failure, who is tough as nails and will not suffer players under-performing.

Well, I would definitly say Souness had an ethos! I think at the start we were all crying out for McCoist to be his own man and forget the teachings of Smith as it wasn't working. I wonder now if it would have made any difference if McCoist brought his own ideas and thoughts to managment. But I think those ideas and thoughts are very limited.

Souness ethos, if he had any, was to spend more than the other guy.

I honestly believe that the squad we have could be coached to play better, certainly at our current level and the one we'll play at next season.

Souness ethos, if he had any, was to spend more than the other guy.

I honestly believe that the squad we have could be coached to play better, certainly at our current level and the one we'll play at next season.

I remember that interview, but I think it's a little short-sighted to label him with that and say that's all he was about. I think he said that because it's what was available to him at the time.

Thing is who do you suggest,I don't see that type of manager now.At half-time yesterday can you imagine those players going into a dressing room to face Jock Wallace?.I think Feguson is the last of that type of manager.

I agree - it's finding one that's the hard bit.

I've already posted on the Souness topic of how he transformed us back in 86. Yes he spent some money - Woods , Butcher and later Roberts. But what was more important is how he transformed players already at the club into winners. The front two of McCoist and Fleck. Coops ans McMinn on the wings . A midfield of Durrant , D.Ferguson and Souness himself.

Apart from Souness , all players of the Jock Wallace era that transformed into winners in a few months. Throw in guys like McPherson , Munro and Frazier .

My guess is were going to have the same players next season , so it's important we get a Souness type of manager to get the best out them.

What we need is a manager with Advocaats style and philosophy, Souness's bite and hunger and Walter Smith's respect and influence.

If only...

pretty sure you'd be happy just to have a manager who isnt a "fat scumbag" right?

What we need is a manager with Advocaats style and philosophy, Souness's bite and hunger and Walter Smith's respect and influence.

If only...

They're all still alive so let's just make that the management team :lol:

Souness got success by buying big

Our next manager won't be able to do that

I disagree even with the premise. I don't pin souness's success purely down to financial power, but even if this was a case it's all relative. When we are in the championship, we will still have budgets that dwarf all of the teams around us.

If only...

Would be amazing, however I'd not include Advocaat just incase he signed another Flo. Although Flo did a very respectable job at Rangers in my opinion, it certainly wasn't worth the price tag.

Would be amazing, however I'd not include Advocaat just incase he signed another Flo. Although Flo did a very respectable job at Rangers in my opinion, it certainly wasn't worth the price tag.

That's where Walter Smiths influence comes into it... ;)