Things just get worse and worse for Nadal.

As a result of that loss, Nadal will drop down to World Number 10. Should Tsonga beat Wawrinka Nadal would drop another spot to 11.

Luckily for Rafa he'll have a chance to gain some points at Queens and then Wimbledon again...but my God is he struggling right now.

I think his latest injury looks to be too much to overcome.

Virtually every tennis player claims to play through pain for much of their career. When they start to lose it, the line is usually that they are simply getting old, not that they are "injured". The narrative with Nadal, on the other hand, seems to always be that he has overcome his injuries when he's winning and that they are imminently career-threatening when he's losing.

Virtually every tennis player claims to play through pain for much of their career. When they start to lose it, the line is usually that they are simply getting old, not that they are "injured". The narrative with Nadal, on the other hand, seems to always be that he has overcome his injuries when he's winning and that they are imminently career-threatening when he's losing.

Yeah I've always felt this too.

Commentators of the sport are so keen to give him excuses for his losses, and attempt to make his wins bigger by acting like he's the first player to return from an injury.

For the game, its hard to see rafà getting murdered on clay.. Yet we all expected it.

Ironically, I believe Murray will prove to be a bigger threat, on his worst surface, at the best time.

I'm not convinced Novak has this sown up.

Have they ever met on clay?

I can't recall they have.

Yeah I've always felt this too.

Commentators of the sport are so keen to give him excuses for his losses, and attempt to make his wins bigger by acting like he's the first player to return from an injury.

I don't doubt that his style of play places an unusually high level of stress on his body, by all accounts he hits the ball with far more topspin than any player who ever lived, so god knows what the effect of doing that on every shot is like for his wrists, and he extends rallies beyond their necessary length as a matter of tactics and principle, even on hard courts, which must be shite for his knees. Each of these things are within his control and therefore his fault though. They aren't excuses for his decline, they are responsible for it, just as they are responsible for his success.

For the game, its hard to see rafà getting murdered on clay.. Yet we all expected it.

Ironically, I believe Murray will prove to be a bigger threat, on his worst surface, at the best time.

I'm not convinced Novak has this sown up.

Have they ever met on clay?

I can't recall they have.

Twice. Both Djokovic victories.

This is the best Murray has played, ever. Opponents had a little insurance policy against his forehand where they could anticipate, easily, that he would go cross-court, but in that first set he hit a winner down the line. That forehand was something Lendl set about working on, and it was quite over the time, but the consistency of it is impressive now.

Doesn't tell the full story that though. Murray had Novak by the balls when Novak was on something like match 37 of his 43-match winning streak in Rome, had match point on his serve and double faulted.

Other match they played on clay was back in 2008, before Murray was really relevant, and just after Novak had won his first slam.

Either way, Murray needs the match of his life Friday just to take Novak to 5, let alone win, he's almost unbeatable at the minute. Adding to that his record against Novak has been awful for a good year now, it doesn't look good I'm afraid for Andy, I worry Djokovic is going to absolutely trounce him :(

Looks like Murray went into the Ferrer match today believing for the first time that he could beat him on clay and that's the mind set he'll need going into the Djokovic match if he's to have a chance of making the final.

Hoping for the best for Andy but Djokovic must be the heavy favourite.

Never knew that Jamie tbf..

I've watched tennis (as I've said for the last 25 years, I'm 42) and I can't recall these 2 playing on clay.

Hey Ho, I've never seen every match ever.

I do think Andy will prove a harder opponent than rafà when they meet.

Novak deserves the French.. But he nobody is handing him it.

Andy needs the first set.

Murray will be lucky to take a set of Djokovic as the guy is just class and has Murrays number especially in the slams. Anyone think Djokovic will equal Federer's record of slams? Or even beat it?

What set during the match will Novak start feigning injury or a problem with something? Regular tactic used against Andy that gets right under Andy's skin.

He does it in every match when he's struggling. It's by no means unique to matches with Murray. Unfortunately, As you say, it does get to Murray.

Murray will be lucky to take a set of Djokovic as the guy is just class and has Murrays number especially in the slams. Anyone think Djokovic will equal Federer's record of slams? Or even beat it?

Well, it took him a while to get Andy's number in Melbourne earlier this year. Murray can beat him, and the way he is playing right now he has every chance. I think Murray will win Wimbledon.

Well, it took him a while to get Andy's number in Melbourne earlier this year. Murray can beat him, and the way he is playing right now he has every chance. I think Murray will win Wimbledon.

I reckon Djokovic has got the beating of Andy though especially on clay or hard courts. Djokovic in 4.

There are a lot of variable going on here. No doubt Andy is better than he has been on clay.

Ferrer at 33 is not what he was though. He served a plethora of double faults and still won a set? Andy wont get that slack from Djo.

Stan and Roger served up 32 games last round and not a double in sight.

As regards Nadal. His exaggerated top spin and the fact that he is generating so much kick has taken it's toll, all over his body I think. The other players are producing power with less effort than Nadal. The topspin is his failsafe. It allows him to stay higher over the net and pull the ball down into court, then the kick keeps his opponent behind the baseline on the return. So as has been mentioned, it is his fault , in a way. It can be argued that the other players have the better timing. To hit flatter is more economical but has less margin for error, as you are missing the net by a whisker.

Nadal does have a whiny side to him of course. Maybe not quite the Gentleman that he pertains to be in interviews, where he is pious and says all the right things. Let's face it, every one of them will kick the cat behind closed doors when they lose.

I tell you what. A little dreaming here. If Andy won a French, it would certainly ease the pain of this Rangers season.