Why Rangers Aren't Ready for Life in the Championship

North Rd

I suppose its the contradictions, like those in your post, that I find quite strange. All the ails of the club seemed to be pointed at Ally. (and as you say its not black and white)

You have assumed managerial incompetence - and yet he has delivered two leagues in a row - he may not be Van Gaal but he is far from the worst manager we have ever seen. I see two real issues with the lower leagues - (1) Rangers fans have NO reference point to judge Ally on as no Rangers team has ever been there before - we know from cup games the odd hiccup can happen against smaller teams, and we have had the odd hiccup but in the main delivered (including being unbeaten in the league - even if that is down to budget and players - Ally assembled those players and led the to an unbeaten league season) (2) Because of budget / lower league position Ally has not had real competition to judge him by - and therefore I believe the time to judge him is when we have stronger competition - we will certainly have that this year - but I still think it it is when we return to the SPL that the 'real' competition will start.

I just don't buy this argument about youth - Ally has shown on numerous occasions that he is NOT frightened of youth or Macleoud and Aird would not be getting any games - add in Crawford, Gallagher etc. and the point about youth is mute. I also believe that they have to SHOW they are good enough or have the potential to be good enough before they even get a chance in the first team - If our manager (Ally or any other) does not deem a youth layer ready, and they are not showing it yet in training/reserve games - then why should they displace a proven player just to 'hope' they may improve?

Ally has had to rebuild a squad (including all the transfer embargo nonsense, the fact we are in the lower leagues etc. if fact why would a kid with real potential step down to our leagues when they are looking for a move away?) - every season he has added to and improved the squad - our squad last year was stronger than the year before - our squad this year looks stronger than last year (TB Proven I know) and I don't see the players Ally has brought in as short term - Miller I suspect is good for 2 seasons and the others 3-5 seasons - these are medium term signings that strengthen the squad and build a base on.

While Ally has an OK budget as compared to the rest, it is dwarfed by the budgets previous managers have, but the Board has to also look at the Scouting set up etc. to support our long term ambitions but it is well documented the shambles of the first two years and the current board are being somewhat hamstrung by a largish section of our own fans who have not renewed season tickets yet - so the club is (rightly imho) spending on the squad, not the long term, as an immediate return to the SPL is the whole clubs priority - the priority is NOT 10 years time but a return to the top for next season - that might be short sighted but I believe all Rangers fans agree on that, and yet castigate Ally/the club for taking that view - When we return to the top then we start transitioning the reasonably solid squad Ally has built with increasing quality as our budget increases.

As for entertainment - goals excite me - we scored 85 more than our opposition in the league last year - that's hardly dull - unless you deliberately want to overlook winning and scoring goals. We got to a cup final - that was exciting (and then we got beat - gutting) but that's what happens in a one off game - that's why we love cup football.

Anyway its the start of a new season - we have bought some good players into the squad - I am excited to see how we fair, in particular in our first two games - and I am really looking forward to it.

When we moved down to 3rd division, Ally also said words to the effect that 'the fans would have to be patient whilst they rebuild the team and climbed the leagues' I'm also looking forward to the new season with a positive attitude.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it in Scotland or more particularly Rangers we accept the mantra that winning cannot equate to playing good football. It is one or the other up here. This mentality is what is killing our game. We have adopted this "hard to beat" mantra which is overtly negative. It's how McCoist approaches football much like Smith before him. This negativity eats in to the players to such an extent they really do believe that every game is a hard game. Gone is the natural arrogance and swagger to be replaced by methodical robots too afraid to do anything but pass it sideways or kick it up the park.

Why is it in Scotland or more particularly Rangers we accept the mantra that winning cannot equate to playing good football. It is one or the other up here. This mentality is what is killing our game. We have adopted this "hard to beat" mantra which is overtly negative. It's how McCoist approaches football much like Smith before him. This negativity eats in to the players to such an extent they really do believe that every game is a hard game. Gone is the natural arrogance and swagger to be replaced by methodical robots too afraid to do anything but pass it sideways or kick it up the park.

... And win. Don't forget we win while being so 'negative' how the hell does that happen!

... And win. Don't forget we win while being so 'negative' how the hell does that happen!

Aye against part time dross...something you forget to mention. Oh and sometimes we don't like...Forfar..or Raith Rovers.

My point is a general one about the mentality of how we in this country approach football. McCoist simply falls in to that way of negative thinking.

Been watching Scottish football since the 80s and I've yet to see a team that's played truly great football and been successful.

The best septic side over the last 30 years had Mon as manager and that team was nothing more than a bunch of hammer throwers. Even our NIAR team minus Laudrup and Gazza were all about passion, fight and determination not silky football.

The truth is Scottish football is full of wee ned players who want to go out and snap peoples legs not play football. Rangers have suffered over the last 20 or so years because of this, the truth is to be a successful team in Scotland you need physical strength a lot more than great footballers.

Been watching Scottish football since the 80s and I've yet to see a team that's played truly great football and been successful.

The best septic side over the last 30 years had Mon as manager and that team was nothing more than a bunch of hammer throwers. Even our NIAR team minus Laudrup and Gazza were all about passion, fight and determination not silky football.

The truth is Scottish football is full of wee ned players who want to go out and snap peoples legs not play football. Rangers have suffered over the last 20 or so years because of this, the truth is to be a successful team in Scotland you need physical strength a lot more than great footballers.

And i disagree totally because that's what the prevailing mentality says you need to do.

Uruguay has a population of just over 3m yet almost always has a national team at the world cup finals

Croatia has a population of just over 4m and was at the world cup again. Not forgetting they were in the last 4 recently.

This mindset of power and athleticism is from the stone age. Wanting hard, tough machines is embarrassing in this day and age.

Yes you must have all the elements to make a successful football team but we always seem to fall back on fighting qualities. This country never fully embraces the need to move away form that mindset and concentrate solely on technique then work on the physicality later.

When we moved down to 3rd division, Ally also said word to the effect that 'the fans would have to be patient whilst they rebuild the team and climbed the leagues' I'm also looking forward to the new season with a positive attitude.

Excellent - good to hear

I honestly believe we will win this league no bother at all. We have a decent squad building now, and all our players are of top league standard, and I personally believe that the increase in competition will be of benefit to our playing squad, but I can't see anyone else mounting a sustained challenge over the course of the season.

Negative topic. Im more an optimist myself. Pre season games mean nothing more than players getting match practice. Its like being a soldier, the training exercises will never reach the hype of a real battle. I agree the start of the season will be sticky because our support expect to hit the ground running and it rarely happens. When things settle we will be fine and if not December is a better time to judge how we are going. The Manager is not everyone's cup of tea but he has brought us through 2 leagues so deserves our loyality until he fails on the objective which is to win the league and reach the top flight at the first time of asking. Football not pretty but hopefully this will improve this term. We have the best squad in the championship with some decent prospects in the likes of young Lewis McCleod and McKay. IMO I think other teams will be more worried about us than we are of them

And i disagree totally because that's what the prevailing mentality says you need to do.

Uruguay has a population of just over 3m yet almost always has a national team at the world cup finals

Croatia has a population of just over 4m and was at the world cup again. Not forgetting they were in the last 4 recently.

This mindset of power and athleticism is from the stone age. Wanting hard, tough machines is embarrassing in this day and age.

Yes you must have all the elements to make a successful football team but we always seem to fall back on fighting qualities. This country never fully embraces the need to move away form that mindset and concentrate solely on technique then work on the physicality later.

You have to take a number of factors into account when comparing Scottish football to other countries.

1) The terrible weather in Scotland plays a big part as most of the league season takes place over autumn and winter when it pretty much rains constantly.

2) A large percentage of pitches in Scotland are rutted and full of sand in winter which is not conducive to great football.

3) The Scottish mentality it's a nasty little country when it wants to be as we've seen over the last two years.

4) The financial guff between the EPL and Scotland means the best young players from outside Scotland are always going to pick England.

You have to take a number of factors into account when comparing Scottish football to other countries.

1) The terrible weather in Scotland plays a big part as most of the league season takes place over autumn and winter when it pretty much rains constantly.

2) A large percentage of pitches in Scotland are rutted and full of sand in winter which is not conducive to great football.

3) The Scottish mentality it's a nasty little country when it wants to be as we've seen over the last two years.

4) The financial guff between the EPL and Scotland means the best young players from outside Scotland are always going to pick England.

We had all these issues in the 40's,50's and 60's when arguably we produced the best players ever to play for Scotland.

No matter the excuses (or reasons) the simple facts are that we still look for the tall athletic players at a young age thinking they will turn out to be good players. Rangers are still employing this policy to this day regards youth.

And the fans are also to blame because they want to see blood and guts football, thunderous tackles and robust centre forwards.

Our mentality and style of football is still dated.

Yes there are mitigating factors but if countries like the ones i mentioned can continually produce good footballers why can't we?