Why Rangers Aren't Ready for Life in the Championship

North Rd

You are free to believe that if you like, and I'll believe the facts.

lol ok.

I am reasonably sure that if we had accepted a bid for Wallace, that news will have made it onto here.

can you prove these "facts"?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Going by the improved performances in the preseason games I'd think there will be less 'turgid' football and more stylish attacking football. At least, from what I've seen recently it seems that's the way things are shaping up. I don't expect magnificent performances every week but I do expect more exciting play from these players, and it's only a matter of time before Miller and Boyd start knocking them in.

Utter bollocks. Pre season Friendlies against no marks prove nothing.

I have accepted that Ally is going to be here for the next season and at least 1 season in the premier.

Started last season hoping things would get better on the park. And Ally would turn it round.

The longer the season went on it has become obvious that Ally hasn't got what is required to be a top manager.

If he was ever going to be sacked it was after the Raith game, and that was without the Karaoke.

We don't have the money to pay Ally off or a board with enough power to carry it out.

So Ally is going to be with us for the next couple of years until we get to the top league and get rattled a couple of times by SPL teams. and we become more vocal in our disapproval.

WE are Ready for the Championship, by that I mean the fans are Ready. WE will ensure this squad of players achieve promotion at the first time of asking. Time will surely tell where we are with Ally but no matter what, if the chips are down WE can and will get our team over the line. Support is everything. Never Surrender

I wouldn't say being critical makes one person more of a fan than another who doesn't, however some of us want higher standards, we are Rangers after all.

You get heat as you don't really contribute anything other than 'Get off Ally's back' or 'another anti-Ally thread'

This is a better place to vent frustrations than screaming 'Ally get to fuck' at a match, folk are entitled to be pissed off at the shite fitba etc just as you are entitled to back Ally, no matter how poor he is.

... Again I ask - what new is there to be said - why do we need another thread about this - why are we not getting behind the team/managers/players at the start of a new season ? What new is to be said on either side of the debate?

No its you who equates criticising the manager with not supporting.supporting him isnt necessarily a bad thing, its just most of us disagree with your opinion and your not very good at explaining why you hold that opinion. I for one have provided numerous reasons for wanting Ally gone and ally you can say is "just support the team", we all support the team we just have no faith in the manager and you cant differentiate between those two things.

I have provided numerous reasons to back the manager - and I go back to my 'only' point in this thread - why do we need another Ally oot thread - are the other threads you've bee critical of the manager not enough ? Do you think repetition makes the debate move on? Do you think this is like Groundhog Day when each iteration changes something?

Perhaps you should start a thread a day listing all Ally's positive achievements and his positive committments to attacking stylish football during his tenure. I'm sure that you would find quite a few other Rangers fans on here that would endorse and support your stance re Ally. Unfortunately there would be many more other Rangers fans who would highlight Ally McCoist's deficiencies that we have had to accept in the past few years. Over the past 50 or so years, I have seen managers of the calibre of Scot Symon, Jock Wallace, Davie Whyte, to name but 3, who have been bulleted for far less in the top league than Ally has during his chequered career so far in the lowest leagues. That, is why I believe that Ally gets so much stick on here as folk like me remember the bad times when managers got sacked for far far less that some of the woeful displays we have had to endure in the last 3 seasons. If you think I'm in the wrong, I'm willing to read your criticisms of my stance.

You want to read my stance - just go to my profile and read somebody the posts - I'd start a positive ally thread ( another one) but it would just be the same Groundhog Day shite again!

I have provided numerous reasons to back the manager - and I go back to my 'only' point in this thread - why do we need another Ally oot thread - are the other threads you've bee critical of the manager not enough ? Do you think repetition makes the debate move on? Do you think this is like Groundhog Day when each iteration changes something?

If you don't like the threads then why constantly post in them?

There are literally thousands of other topics on this forum that you could be discussing if l Ally out threads (which I don't even think this article is tbh) is boring you or you are sick of them.

If you don't like the threads then why constantly post in them?

There are literally thousands of other topics on this forum that you could be discussing if l Ally out threads (which I don't even think this article is tbh) is boring you or you are sick of them.

Someone needs to be positive and defend him - ta ( had a we chuckle at you assertion this is not an Ally oot thread - maybe the paranoia is infectious and I see criticism where it does not exist - but in this case I think I'm on solid ground)

did we REALLY need another thread?

I also support the club - but how helpful is this dragging the managers down - he is here for the next few games - get over yourself and IF you support the team try backing it instead of looking for an excuse to knock it!

Again you can't seem to separate Ally from the team which is your big problem, as for the IF in capitals you can shove that where your head is right up Ally's arse.

Someone needs to be positive and defend him - ta ( had a we chuckle at you assertion this is not an Ally oot thread - maybe the paranoia is infectious and I see criticism where it does not exist - but in this case I think I'm on solid ground)

That's what Rangers Forums and websites do , to be fair - discuss Rangers. The vast majority of that is usually football related , particularly performances on the pitch. That invariably brings in the manager into the discussion. Like it or not , it's the way it is , always has been .

I don't think the article itself was ' Ally bashing ' , though some of the posts can be seen to be. That's fans views though , and they have watched Ally's team for 3 years now to be able to form an opinion , whatever way that is.

Fuckin' bring em on!

spot on mate.short and simple ha ha.Rangers will step up to the mark. We will wrap this league up with a few games to spare.hivs and hertz have only just got a team in place that will have to adapt to playing together, they will struggle at the start of season, most of our players have played together for last 2 years, they should know now what it takes to win in these divisions.i think hivs and hertz will remain in first div for another year or 2.

The squad of players should be more than good enough to win promotion to the top flight at the first time of asking. As individuals their playing credentials are probably as good as we could get in the circumstances. Of course some could yet depart - maybe even sold (can't remember when we last sold a player). That would weaken unless they were replaced by comparable or better talent but even allowing for that the squad should be good enough.

But.

There's almost always a 'but' for most circumstances in life and this is no exception. There might even be more than one 'but' noting the number of posts that delve into concern about whether or not Ally can lead the squad out of this division a the first time of asking.

The 'but' I have in mind is this. Can this squad handle the pressure of playing for Rangers in such a vital season? Can they? With the crowd on their backs if the performances are not good or if we falter in losing points. We'll see soon enough. I sure hope to Heaven and back that no complacency or arrogance about 'entitlement to win' exists. Every week they will come up against a team who will want to mug us and take points from us and put one over. What's new you say - always been that way. Yup. But we've not always been in a situation where it is a staightforward fight to be promoted. The teams in the Championship are better than those we've faced in the last 2 seasons and more dangerous.

I'll be a lot clearer about that 'but' if the team plays week in and week out with a ruthless determination to win and deliver what we all want to see.

This time next year if we not posting about what to expect in the top flight then I hesitate to think about the topics being discussed ahead of the next season. I hope the Manager has got the players motivated to deliver.

... the Championship is not as high a standard as the SPL ...

the standard of football in the spl is poor and the difference in quality between it and the championship is negligible.

the higher the league, the less pressure on Rangers - week in week out for the last two seasons Rangers have played against players giving 110% because it was a once in a life time chance to play against the big boys, and the chance of a lifetime for all mediocre scum supporters playing in the lower leagues to live their dream and beat the Gers.

it's a fucking nightmare playing every week for two years against players who had nothing to lose and no pressure on them.

Ally knows he is not cut out for managing at the level expected for Rangers.

After this last season, he should have taken over PR responsibilities and given way to a manager who is capable of challenging teams in the Champions League.

this being said, Ally has the ability to win this league and the piss poor spl, however, thats simply not good enough.

... Again I ask - what new is there to be said - why do we need another thread about this - why are we not getting behind the team/managers/players at the start of a new season ? What new is to be said on either side of the debate?

Almost every topic regarding Rangers can end up about Ally, that's not because his critics hate him, it's because when we talk about cups, youth, Europe etc that it ultimately boils down to the man in charge.

I accept it gets boring, but that's how it is while he remains in charge, no-one is at the front doors demanding his removal but his managerial incompetence will crop up in almost every thread.

As DBBTB says, you can avoid the threads but we know you like a good troll.

Praising what Ally has achieved so far is like giving yourself a pat on the back for reaching the toilet on time, his budget dwarves every side he has faced yet our team play awful football and youth is overlooked for experience.

You see it as black or white, Ally is winning, I see it as yea we're winning but how many years are we being set back by this backward mentality/signings etc.

I'm not interested in the toddler touchers either, I think we should be aiming higher and leaving them behind, in say ten years.

The way it looks the now we will be the ones left behind without significant investment to make up for a manager not up to the task and a board lacking balls to put a halt to his short term signings.

People seem to forget that for the first half of last season we were playing some good attractive attacking football and then the second half of the season for some reason we started to play really shite, there could be many reasons for this.

The players knew the league was won and so switched off.

The opposition (for the majority) started to park the bus in front of goal, don't matter who you are that's difficult to break down, ask Man U and Barcelona when we did it against them in the CL.

Macleod ended up being out due to illness and seeing as he was one of our major sparks it might have been a contributing factor.

Other possible reasons and for this Coisty does deserve criticism,

Some players were carrying injuries but still playing.

Some players, due to us already winning the league literally, had switched off and should have been replaced by players who had a point to prove.

Whatever the reason I still believe that Coisty has been basically told he's to get us back to the top flight ASAP and that is what he is doing, we might not like it at times and we do have a right to be critical of his tactics at times but a manager's position is based on results and no manager who goes through any league unbeaten is going to be sacked.

As for this upcoming season, we have a much stronger and better squad than anyone else in the league, we have competition for most places (apart from RB) and the league is over a full season not the odd game, and I still believe we will win by a good few points.

I think our form is fine....We haven't lost a home league match since April 2013, or an away one since October 2012.

Other than a handful of games in the last couple of seasons our form has been poor. Funnily enough I'm more optimistic about next season though.

Almost every topic regarding Rangers can end up about Ally, that's not because his critics hate him, it's because when we talk about cups, youth, Europe etc that it ultimately boils down to the man in charge.

I accept it gets boring, but that's how it is while he remains in charge, no-one is at the front doors demanding his removal but his managerial incompetence will crop up in almost every thread.

Praising what Ally has achieved so far is like giving yourself a pat on the back for reaching the toilet on time, his budget dwarves every side he has faced yet our team play awful football and youth is overlooked for experience.

You see it as black or white, Ally is winning, I see it as yea we're winning but how many years are we being set back by this backward mentality/signings etc.

I'm not interested in the toddler touchers either, I think we should be aiming higher and leaving them behind, in say ten years.

The way it looks the now we will be the ones left behind without significant investment to make up for a manager not up to the task and a board lacking balls to put a halt to his short term signings.

I suppose its the contradictions, like those in your post, that I find quite strange. All the ails of the club seemed to be pointed at Ally. (and as you say its not black and white)

You have assumed managerial incompetence - and yet he has delivered two leagues in a row - he may not be Van Gaal but he is far from the worst manager we have ever seen. I see two real issues with the lower leagues - (1) Rangers fans have NO reference point to judge Ally on as no Rangers team has ever been there before - we know from cup games the odd hiccup can happen against smaller teams, and we have had the odd hiccup but in the main delivered (including being unbeaten in the league - even if that is down to budget and players - Ally assembled those players and led the to an unbeaten league season) (2) Because of budget / lower league position Ally has not had real competition to judge him by - and therefore I believe the time to judge him is when we have stronger competition - we will certainly have that this year - but I still think it it is when we return to the SPL that the 'real' competition will start.

I just don't buy this argument about youth - Ally has shown on numerous occasions that he is NOT frightened of youth or Macleoud and Aird would not be getting any games - add in Crawford, Gallagher etc. and the point about youth is mute. I also believe that they have to SHOW they are good enough or have the potential to be good enough before they even get a chance in the first team - If our manager (Ally or any other) does not deem a youth layer ready, and they are not showing it yet in training/reserve games - then why should they displace a proven player just to 'hope' they may improve?

Ally has had to rebuild a squad (including all the transfer embargo nonsense, the fact we are in the lower leagues etc. if fact why would a kid with real potential step down to our leagues when they are looking for a move away?) - every season he has added to and improved the squad - our squad last year was stronger than the year before - our squad this year looks stronger than last year (TB Proven I know) and I don't see the players Ally has brought in as short term - Miller I suspect is good for 2 seasons and the others 3-5 seasons - these are medium term signings that strengthen the squad and build a base on.

While Ally has an OK budget as compared to the rest, it is dwarfed by the budgets previous managers have, but the Board has to also look at the Scouting set up etc. to support our long term ambitions but it is well documented the shambles of the first two years and the current board are being somewhat hamstrung by a largish section of our own fans who have not renewed season tickets yet - so the club is (rightly imho) spending on the squad, not the long term, as an immediate return to the SPL is the whole clubs priority - the priority is NOT 10 years time but a return to the top for next season - that might be short sighted but I believe all Rangers fans agree on that, and yet castigate Ally/the club for taking that view - When we return to the top then we start transitioning the reasonably solid squad Ally has built with increasing quality as our budget increases.

As for entertainment - goals excite me - we scored 85 more than our opposition in the league last year - that's hardly dull - unless you deliberately want to overlook winning and scoring goals. We got to a cup final - that was exciting (and then we got beat - gutting) but that's what happens in a one off game - that's why we love cup football.

Anyway its the start of a new season - we have bought some good players into the squad - I am excited to see how we fair, in particular in our first two games - and I am really looking forward to it.

looking forward to a new season with tougher games ahead,most we will win but some we will not. i do expect however that our team will play better football than whats been served up to us the last two seasons.

we have better quality of players and a good mix of age groups so i feel very positive about our season, canny fucken wait tbh :7325: :7325:

Ally has had to rebuild a squad

Ally hasn't had the same money as his predecessors

Ally plays the youth

Ally has had the "odd hiccup" in cup games

All i see are excuses for the worst manager in our history.

His pre season games and team selections prove that nothing has changed or will change in the season ahead. His teams are dull and one dimensional. He is a clone of Walter Smith and a poor one at that.

This season may well see us promoted but not because we are brilliant but because the opposition don't have our resources.

Mind you i have to laugh at this "odd hiccup" in cup games....fuck sake his hiccups have been going on for 3 years now. Someone give him a fright eh!!!

Spot on.

But we all know why BP9 continually pops up in Ally threads.....