Gazza - not doing so great.

WATBB

"Might have been better", aye you're not wrong.

and you are so offended at taking the subject off track, you cannot let the thread get back on track? Anyone would have thought I berated the man himself - who I idolised as a teenager!

Gogzy, you might want to 'tidy' this thread up so nobody else gets offended.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When was that filmed ? Was gazza known as a big drinker early on in his career or did it only become known towards the end /after his career?

not so much the big drinker going by his books but he seemed quite easily swayed, which in turn got him onto the booze by looks of things

(tu)

Both my parents are going to end up killing themselves because of the drink, It's a bastard of a disease. A slow creeping progression that i seen take hold over the space of about 15-20 years.

It's a terrible thing. My kids dad chose drink over us many times and eventually I had to leave for the sake of my kids because he really was a nasty drunk. The abuse I took to protect my children was horrendous. My ex also had mental health problems which only made the drinking 10 times worse. As I said it's horrible.

I really feel Gazza has lost this battle :(

To be honest, I've had no direct experience with alcoholism, so struggle to see past the selfishness of the drinker.

Particularly when they've been given the number of chances and amount of support Gazza has had.

Serious question. At what point does the person have to take responsibly for there actions?

this pic was from 17th june, only 9 weeks ago. Problem is he batters the drink for a week or two solid and looks horrendous. I hope he gets himself together but I just expect him to go through the usual cycle until one day he doesn`t wake up.

2myrytx.jpg

How many chances does he want? Fucking idiot. All that money and love from family friends and fans across all teams and he cant stop drinking alcohol. Whats more important Paul alcohol or family? Wise up.

Gazza was a great player but the man since retiring is different and I have no respect for him that way. Only on football side.

Disgraceful post, for so many reasons.

Have a word with yourself

To be honest, I've had no direct experience with alcoholism, so struggle to see past the selfishness of the drinker.

Particularly when they've been given the number of chances and amount of support Gazza has had.

Serious question. At what point does the person have to take responsibly for there actions?

Thats why you and many others will never understand it. Its not a simple task as stopping drinking. Just look at Best and Baxter who both had new livers.

Didn`t stop them. They just couldn`t stop.

How many chances does he want? Fucking idiot. All that money and love from family friends and fans across all teams and he cant stop drinking alcohol. Whats more important Paul alcohol or family? Wise up.

Gazza was a great player but the man since retiring is different and I have no respect for him that way. Only on football side.

What a total cunt you really are! Fuck sake the man has real problems in his life, he admits that, he tried to help himself but unfortunately it did not work, and here we have a so called Rangers fan giving a legend, which you will never be, a hard time! Hang your head in shame!

What a total cunt you really are! Fuck sake the man has real problems in his life, he admits that, he tried to help himself but unfortunately it did not work, and here we have a so called Rangers fan giving a legend, which you will never be, a hard time! Hang your head in shame!

Why can people not understand that some will never get mental health or addiction? This lad has an opinion and shared it - just because it is not to your liking (nor mine), does not mean you should go about calling him a cunt. The poster before you had his say but did not get personal - he was vague enough to achieve that.

Gazza was and will always be a legend in my eyes, but there are some people out there that seen what he did to his wife and will never forgive him. Some will have no shred of sympathy for allowing an addiction to beat him. Let them - are they really hurting you by having their opinion? Who says their opinion is wrong, maybe it is ours? Maybe we should not be labeling him a legend after some of the things he has done? I always will but I will not call people cunts for disagreeing with me.

Disgraceful post, for so many reasons.

Have a word with yourself

No it's not, it's exactly the kind of opinion I'd have had in my twenties, it's all relative people don't understand addiction, same as they can't comprehend the state of mind of someone who commits suicide. In my twenties I thought if you committed suicide you were the most selfish person on the planet, now I understand they are often of the mind set your life is better off without them.

Why can people not understand that some will never get mental health or addiction? This lad has an opinion and shared it - just because it is not to your liking (nor mine), does not mean you should go about calling him a cunt. The poster before you had his say but did not get personal - he was vague enough to achieve that.

Gazza was and will always be a legend in my eyes, but there are some people out there that seen what he did to his wife and will never forgive him. Some will have no shred of sympathy for allowing an addiction to beat him. Let them - are they really hurting you by having their opinion? Who says their opinion is wrong, maybe it is ours? Maybe we should not be labeling him a legend after some of the things he has done? I always will but I will not call people cunts for disagreeing with me.

Who said they didn't?

OK, i get where you're at, but to say he "deserves it" that's fine?

No it's not fine - in my opinion - but starting to get personal in these threads does not help the subject, does it? If you were part of a large party trying to help wounded soldiers and a couple of people started shouting that they deserved to die, would you stop trying to help them and shout back at the minority?

No it's not fine - in my opinion - but starting to get personal in these threads does not help the subject, does it? If you were part of a large party trying to help wounded soldiers and a couple of people started shouting that they deserved to die, would you stop trying to help them and shout back at the minority?

Where did I say I wouldn't Steve?

Best move imho is to enter a twelve step program and work the program. I've been clean and sober for over 34 years .............. and my sponsor was a Tim. Saved my job, saved my marriage, saved my family, saved my life. It only works if you commit. Loyal, true and blue, clean and sober too.

Torn on this really, phenomenal player and legend, but how many chances does he get?

So many give him the opportunity to help himself, that others in his situation could only dream of, and he throws it back in their faces every time.

Some call it an 'illness', but I'll never accept that a man cannot control his own actions.

Torn on this really, phenomenal player and legend, but how many chances does he get?

So many give him the opportunity to help himself, that others in his situation could only dream of, and he throws it back in their faces every time.

Some call it an 'illness', but I'll never accept that a man cannot control his own actions.

Should there be a limit on chances?

Grew up hearing stories of the late, great Benny Lynch a Glasgow legend. Benny by all accounts and judging by what I've seen on video was an amazing fighter. Like Gazza his success found him surrounded by 'hangers-on'. Sadly Benny was happy to spend a small fortune 'buying' his 'friends' drink all the while 'having one for himself'. Died in 1946 at the age of 33 a destitute alcoholic. The road from being flyweight champion of the world to dying a drunk on a Glasgow street is a very short road indeed.

For those people on here with the smart mouths, ask yourselves, what you have achieved in your own lives and how far you are from being addicted to gambling, drugs, alcohol or cigarettes.

Gazza, like Benny Lynch before him, will die at a relatively young age and the world will be a poorer place; though he will leave this mortal coil having given pleasure to millions. Few of us will leave such a legacy.

Should there be a limit on chances?

Grew up hearing stories of the late, great Benny Lynch a Glasgow legend. Benny by all accounts and judging by what I've seen on video was an amazing fighter. Like Gazza his success found him surrounded by 'hangers-on'. Sadly Benny was happy to spend a small fortune 'buying' his 'friends' drink all the while 'having one for himself'. Died in 1946 at the age of 33 a destitute alcoholic. The road from being flyweight champion of the world to dying a drunk on a Glasgow street is a very short road indeed.

For those people on here with the smart mouths, ask yourselves, what you have achieved in your own lives and how far you are from being addicted to gambling, drugs, alcohol or cigarettes.

Gazza, like Benny Lynch before him, will die at a relatively young age and the world will be a poorer place; though he will leave this mortal coil having given pleasure to millions. Few of us will leave such a legacy.

Well said.

Not making an excuse but people say he has had more oppurtunities than the average alcoholic however he has also been put in far more opportunities than most alcoholic to fall of the bandwagon. Not many recovering alcoholics are the subject of high media attention who are always looking for a sign of the next fall of the bandwagon. Not many alcoholics have the public interested over them and their every moves due to a huge celebrity status. Even recovering he is under huge amount of pressure which with his mental illness is always a ticking time bomb waiting to go off. You only have to watch that last documentary where he explains he has a kit to detect if the press is spying on him, see his OCD in action . It is clear to see he is not a well man , he is someone with deep personal problems , a highly addictive personality and an addiction to drink and it is never going to be a case of just a guy who has hit the drink a bit hard and needs a bit of help to stay off it.